Using a Dominican passport

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
My Dominican passport has a double last name in it like all Dominicans have. Just wondering if this would cause problems at the airport if I bought the ticket using only one last name.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I have used my Dominican passport many times checking in on a direct flight to the DR with no problems. I have never used it to actually purchase tickets. I always buy online tickets.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
How about calling the airline and asking?

Sent from my SM-G800M using Tapatalk

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
If you have another passport then take it with you

My Dominican passport has a double last name in it like all Dominicans have. Just wondering if this would cause problems at the airport if I bought the ticket using only one last name.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You should be fine. When I got married 40 years ago, I just added my husband's surname to my maiden name on my passport, so I have two surnames on it [and nowhere else, all other ID is only his surname]. In 4 decades, never ever a problem, and my reservations only have husband's surname.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If you don't follow the Spanish tradition of using your second (maternal) surname it should not appear on your documents. I just leave that space blank, even though my mother's surname is actually a not-very-common but recognisably Spanish surname.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My wife never had a middle name so when she became a U.S. citizen I renamed her :)laugh:) with her previous last name as her "middle" name.

The last time she renewed her U.S. passport, in the Dominican Republic, they took it upon themselves to put a hyphen between her middle name and her last name(Mine).

I always buy her ticket with my last name. Have had no problem with her traveling that way.

One word of caution, if she shows the agent at the gate her passport to look up the reservation to check in, they may try finding her reservation using the hyphenated name and will not find it.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009

Dont you have to enter your Passport # when you buy a Ticket ?
and its not like the Airlines have never seen this before ...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You don't have to enter your passport number when you buy a ticket online. They ask you to do it to save time, but I have never done it.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I think they are more focused on making sure the person standing in front of them matches the Picture on the Passport, more than the names matching 100% .. I'm sure many people have even MIS SPELLED their own names, or omitted parts of their Name . Typos do happen when ordering online , its not a perfect system.
i doubt they would Blink at such a variable , as long as Passport Pic matches the person standing there , Immigration in the DR will sort out the rest if someone is trying to pull a fast one .. I would not worry about it for a moment .
Especially if you check in online in advance and are holding the boarding pass as well.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Here is a novel idea, why not just call the Airline and have them correct the name on the ticket .. explain your concern and that you dont want any issues when checking in or checking you bags .. try resolve it at least 24 hours before departure .that way you dont have to worry about it.