Eleven illegal foreigners arrested in Sosua

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Haitians? PN rounded up Haitians in Jarabacoa yesterday. Seems there have been a rise in robberies & break-ins recently.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
ahh, yes. the virtues and benefits of the glorious Dominican school system. now we know that Asiatic is a nationality.

I guess the Latin (not just a Dominican thing) news use the sophisticated "asiatica" label instead of the man on the street Chino to address / refer to all Asian people.
I say not just Dominican because I first realized this a decade ago when I was with my Colombian girl in Miami. Her and her friends did the same thing. I asked if they realized that Japanese, amongst other Asian peoples, would definitely NOT appreciate being called Chinese but they didn't seem to care.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I guess the Latin (not just a Dominican thing) news use the sophisticated "asiatica" label instead of the man on the street Chino to address / refer to all Asian people.
I say not just Dominican because I first realized this a decade ago when I was with my Colombian girl in Miami. Her and her friends did the same thing. I asked if they realized that Japanese, amongst other Asian peoples, would definitely NOT appreciate being called Chinese but they didn't seem to care.

my bad. i was assuming that news reporters would be a little more academically sophisticated, but i guess not.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

Anyone with almond shaped eyes and a round face is called "Chino". I even knew this little black kid in Panama who's nickname was "Chinito"

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
lately there has been many instances of indian/pakistani people trying to get to puerto rico on yolas and arrested when caught. maybe this group was getting ready for such trip.

KITTU

May 13, 2015
lately there has been many instances of indian/pakistani people trying to get to puerto rico on yolas and arrested when caught. maybe this group was getting ready for such trip.

These are indians from the region of Punjab, Haryana... northern India. They are mostly uneducated who are part of the billion dollar human trafficking racket. Of course, they want to leave india and find a better life for themselves and their families. Before they used to go to Europe and now with all the immigration problem, they are coming to dominican republic in large numbers to reach Puerto Rico, pay money to get married and then jump to United States. You might have seen them selling flowers, souvenirs, street vendors in Europe and working in 7 elevens in US.Agents charge them a large amount of money to get these journey's to US or Europe.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
These are indians from the region of Punjab, Haryana... northern India. They are mostly uneducated who are part of the billion dollar human trafficking racket. Of course, they want to leave india and find a better life for themselves and their families. Before they used to go to Europe and now with all the immigration problem, they are coming to dominican republic in large numbers to reach Puerto Rico, pay money to get married and then jump to United States. You might have seen them selling flowers, souvenirs, street vendors in Europe and working in 7 elevens in US.Agents charge them a large amount of money to get these journey's to US or Europe.

You don't even need to get married. Just get fake documents like, a Puerto Rican driver's license, and you can fly to the US without clearing immigration. I assume they may have to learn some basic Spanish, but a smuggling ring could arrange that too.
If, as you say, they are poor I doubt they could pay a Puerto Rican woman to enter a phony marriage and risk jail. Because the time and investigation involved with citizenship-via-marriage that probably would expose them as well.
Hundreds of thousand Mexicans fake documents and so far they seem to be getting away with that. And these Indians' goal may have been Mexico to cross the leaky Mexican-US border and they just got dumped in the wrong place ?
Or they are looking to undercut the locals for a job in the DR ?

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I once asked a chineese gentleman living here how come there are so many living in the DR. He said many came because of the proximity to the US but ended up having to stay as they could not get to there. Maybe something similar happens with Indians here and then maybe more come if they have like a community. Maybe finnaly we will be able to get Chicken Tikka Masala.*

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I once asked a chineese gentleman living here how come there are so many living in the DR. He said many came because of the proximity to the US but ended up having to stay as they could not get to there. Maybe something similar happens with Indians here and then maybe more come if they have like a community. Maybe finnaly we will be able to get Chicken Tikka Masala.*

i am still trying to wrap my head around the travel itinerary. ok, so they leave India, we know, but i cannot figure out how they end up walking down a street in Bonao. i mean, they must have to check in at some immigration point, unless some Dominicans are in on the shenanigans..