Default Seasons Greetings!

Our 2016 Holiday video card:

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

3. Likes AnnaC, markryan, Ecoman1949, jbars liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    This is so offensive and should be more inclusive!!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

One of the things I like most about the DR is that Dominicans say "Feliz Navidad!".
    Last edited by cavok; 12-11-2016 at 05:36 PM.

6. Likes AnnaC, Garyexpat liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll be coming to SDQ for Xmas this year. Will spend time with GF family. I understand that in some in most latino countries xmas is celebrated on the 24th.What surprises should a gringo expect.? And, what happens on the 25th?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ROLLOUT View Post
    I'll be coming to SDQ for Xmas this year. Will spend time with GF family. I understand that in some in most latino countries xmas is celebrated on the 24th.What surprises should a gringo expect.? And, what happens on the 25th?
    Check this out:

http://www.colonialzone-dr.com/impor...christmas.html

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, the article was very helpful

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Rollout, the biggest surprise for me regarding Dominican Christmas was the way the dinner was handled. I've experienced many Christmas dinners over the years with different families and they all went pretty much the same. There wasn't a formal sit down where everyone sat around a big table and ate a hot dinner together. Instead there was a large table of prepared delicious foods set out and as people arrived they grabbed a plate and ate. The food tended to be cold although very good and the Dominicans never minded this but as a Gringo I longed for a piping hot Christmas meal. After that everyone took to the street in front of the house and had like a big block party with lots of drinking. This part I love. Maybe you will experience something different but this is what I have experienced in my almost 10 years of being here.

11. Likes Meemselle liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

From my understanding there will only be immediate family present, but I've seen how that has turned out in the past. I've been to the house before, and they are very welcoming ans gracious. I expect abuela, sister and baby brother, but its lights out if drunken tia Candy arrives. We shall see.
    My primary concern was any particular obsvervance/rituals that That should prepare for.
    Also not looking forward to the plane ride over on the 23rd. I know it's gonna be a sihtshow

On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool editing and graphics!

Frank

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast