dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
27zyg5.gif

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
One of the things I like most about the DR is that Dominicans say "Feliz Navidad!".

Last edited:

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I'll be coming to SDQ for Xmas this year. Will spend time with GF family. I understand that in some in most latino countries xmas is celebrated on the 24th.What surprises should a gringo expect.? And, what happens on the 25th?

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Hi Rollout, the biggest surprise for me regarding Dominican Christmas was the way the dinner was handled. I've experienced many Christmas dinners over the years with different families and they all went pretty much the same. There wasn't a formal sit down where everyone sat around a big table and ate a hot dinner together. Instead there was a large table of prepared delicious foods set out and as people arrived they grabbed a plate and ate. The food tended to be cold although very good and the Dominicans never minded this but as a Gringo I longed for a piping hot Christmas meal. After that everyone took to the street in front of the house and had like a big block party with lots of drinking. This part I love. Maybe you will experience something different but this is what I have experienced in my almost 10 years of being here.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
From my understanding there will only be immediate family present, but I've seen how that has turned out in the past. I've been to the house before, and they are very welcoming ans gracious. I expect abuela, sister and baby brother, but its lights out if drunken tia Candy arrives. We shall see.
My primary concern was any particular obsvervance/rituals that That should prepare for.
Also not looking forward to the plane ride over on the 23rd. I know it's gonna be a sihtshow

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
12/24

I am Jewish & therefore don't have (& am grateful not to have) Christmas. (feel SO sorry for youse/as in stress?)

HOWEVER, I do purely love my longstanding invitation for Christmas Eve at my Dominican friends'. In addition to a case of KinderEggs, I may try and 'splain Khanike.

Wish me luck.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am Jewish & therefore don't have (& am grateful not to have) Christmas. (feel SO sorry for youse/as in stress?)

HOWEVER, I do purely love my longstanding invitation for Christmas Eve at my Dominican friends'. In addition to a case of KinderEggs, I may try and 'splain Khanike.

Wish me luck.

Little baby Jesus was Jewish. Oh, the irony of it all.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Grinch here, reminding everyone to keep this to Seasons Greetings, lets's not slip into religious talk.*

Yeah, I know. Bah humbug.*