Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Exchanging Large US Bills?

We will be arriving in the DR next week. Planning on bringing USD and exchanging them at casas de cambio as we visit. A couple questions:

1) Will a casa de cambio accept a large bill ($100 USD) or should I bring $20 USD denominations?
    2) How much better is the exchange rate at an ATM vs casa de cambio?

Thanks!
    Mike

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You make it sound like them Poor Dominican folk never seen a $100 bill before ?
    lol
    Even the STREET " CHeeeeenge" VENDORS or smallest hall in the wall Cambios, are very familiar with the US " Benjamins"
    Just make sure its a NEWER ONE .. if its in the least bit TORN, or one of the older ones with no security measures, you can forget it , they wont take it .. .But it has nothing to do with it being a " larger" bill .

3. Likes Wishing you well liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL, no it's not about the "Poor Dominican Folk" at all. I mean, the Little Ceasar's across the street from my house here in Houston won't even take a $50, let alone $100. Just figured better to ask than to be stuck down there with a bunch of cash I can't use. Thank you for the info.

Any input on the differences in exchange rates at the casas de cambio vs ATMs?

5. Likes jd426 liked this post
    Dislikes DR Solar disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The CHEENGE guys on the street are " well protected" trust me on that one , they not afraid ..
    but yes I see your concern..
    I would be more worried about changing money with Random Guys who offer an Exchange rate TOO GOOD to be true..
    Cambios are fine. all of them. There is a good thread on this topic already. And dont change money at the Airport in the DR, because they give the worst Rates .. Western Union is always good, and believe it or not so are the BUS Stations like Metro.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php...=exchange+rate
    this thread should cover most of your questions nicely though...

7. Likes DOMINCAN JOE liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The ATMs here can be dodgy, but if you have one with no xfer fees, that's probably your highest exchange rate. Some will only dispense $10k-20k in pesos/day ($200-400 USD).

You can exchange all your money at a casa de cambio in both directions, just be sure to have your transport back ready to go in case someone is watching the gringo con mucho dinero. If you're staying 5 days or less, changing money probably isn't worth it.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Casa de cambio almost always higher, and safer than ATM. ATM also can have high fees depending upon whichever*

Administrator
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikefree5151 View Post
    We will be arriving in the DR next week. Planning on bringing USD and exchanging them at casas de cambio as we visit. A couple questions:

1) Will a casa de cambio accept a large bill ($100 USD) or should I bring $20 USD denominations?
    2) How much better is the exchange rate at an ATM vs casa de cambio?

Thanks!
    Mike
    1. Yes.....they actually prefer them....although they will not reject smaller bills.
    2. It varies. And while that is not an answer you were likely looking for....you will almost always get a higher rate at a Casa de Cambio.

Your timing on arrival may be good as the US just today raised short term US rates a 1/4 of a point. This should help strengthen the dollar against the peso, but it is not a guarantee.

Respectfully,
    Playacaribe2

11. Likes jinty05 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Especially for visitors, I suggest Caribe Express.
    Good rate, safe...

13. Likes SKY, BermudaRum, JDJones, oriole100 liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

i would avoid changing money on the street. Better banks and certified exchange houses. Banks are open in the evening at commercial malls and major stores. *

15. Likes AnnaC, JDJones, arturo liked this post
    On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Especially for visitors, I suggest Caribe Express.
    Good rate, safe...
    i agree wholeheartedly with that assertion...

17. Likes oriole100 liked this post
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast