Exchanging Large US Bills?

Mikefree5151

May 28, 2004
We will be arriving in the DR next week. Planning on bringing USD and exchanging them at casas de cambio as we visit. A couple questions:

1) Will a casa de cambio accept a large bill ($100 USD) or should I bring $20 USD denominations?
2) How much better is the exchange rate at an ATM vs casa de cambio?

Thanks!
Mike

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
You make it sound like them Poor Dominican folk never seen a $100 bill before ?
lol
Even the STREET " CHeeeeenge" VENDORS or smallest hall in the wall Cambios, are very familiar with the US " Benjamins"
Just make sure its a NEWER ONE .. if its in the least bit TORN, or one of the older ones with no security measures, you can forget it , they wont take it .. .But it has nothing to do with it being a " larger" bill .

Mikefree5151

May 28, 2004
LOL, no it's not about the "Poor Dominican Folk" at all. I mean, the Little Ceasar's across the street from my house here in Houston won't even take a $50, let alone $100. Just figured better to ask than to be stuck down there with a bunch of cash I can't use. Thank you for the info.

Any input on the differences in exchange rates at the casas de cambio vs ATMs?

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The CHEENGE guys on the street are " well protected" trust me on that one , they not afraid ..
but yes I see your concern..
I would be more worried about changing money with Random Guys who offer an Exchange rate TOO GOOD to be true..
Cambios are fine. all of them. There is a good thread on this topic already. And dont change money at the Airport in the DR, because they give the worst Rates .. Western Union is always good, and believe it or not so are the BUS Stations like Metro.

http://dr1.com/forums/showthread.php/77301-Today-s-Exchange-Rate?highlight=exchange+rate
this thread should cover most of your questions nicely though...

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
The ATMs here can be dodgy, but if you have one with no xfer fees, that's probably your highest exchange rate. Some will only dispense $10k-20k in pesos/day ($200-400 USD).

You can exchange all your money at a casa de cambio in both directions, just be sure to have your transport back ready to go in case someone is watching the gringo con mucho dinero. If you're staying 5 days or less, changing money probably isn't worth it.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Casa de cambio almost always higher, and safer than ATM. ATM also can have high fees depending upon whichever*

Jan 9, 2004
We will be arriving in the DR next week. Planning on bringing USD and exchanging them at casas de cambio as we visit. A couple questions:

1) Will a casa de cambio accept a large bill ($100 USD) or should I bring $20 USD denominations?

Thanks!
Mike

1. Yes.....they actually prefer them....although they will not reject smaller bills.
2. It varies. And while that is not an answer you were likely looking for....you will almost always get a higher rate at a Casa de Cambio.

Your timing on arrival may be good as the US just today raised short term US rates a 1/4 of a point. This should help strengthen the dollar against the peso, but it is not a guarantee.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
i would avoid changing money on the street. Better banks and certified exchange houses. Banks are open in the evening at commercial malls and major stores. *

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I agree about the guys on the street, many are out right crooks.
If downtown Santiago Cambio Ruso is very good, a couple doors up from Banco Ban Reservas (large D.R. bank) on Calle del Sol. If changing a larger amount, say $750 or more they will usually up the rate a little.
Caribe posts their rates as do some others, otherwise ask the taza first.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
1. Advise your financial institution that you will be traveling to the DR, and the dates you will be doing so. Sometimes they put a security hold on your ATM card if you don't inform them. This is for your safety. It takes all of 2 minutes, and can avoid a longer pain in the a** later.
2. Don't change money with anybody on the street. Would you do this at home? There are a lot of counterfeit bills out there.
3. Try to avoid using ATM machines. There is a reason most ATM's have an armed guard watching over them 24 hours (sometimes). Use reputable banks or businesses as mentioned above....Western Union or Caribe Express. You will need your passport as well.
4. Stay away from the Dominican 2000 notes, as they are usually a pain to change/break.
Any other questions, ask away.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
1. Advise your financial institution that you will be traveling to the DR, and the dates you will be doing so. Sometimes they put a security hold on your ATM card if you don't inform them. This is for your safety. It takes all of 2 minutes, and can avoid a longer pain in the a** later.
2. Don't change money with anybody on the street. Would you do this at home? There are a lot of counterfeit bills out there.
3. Try to avoid using ATM machines. There is a reason most ATM's have an armed guard watching over them 24 hours (sometimes). Use reputable banks or businesses as mentioned above....Western Union or Caribe Express. You will need your passport as well.
4. Stay away from the Dominican 2000 notes, as they are usually a pain to change/break.

all these points are like a primer for handling your finances while in a strange land. in the case of point number 2, not only are there lots of counterfeit bills out there, but most of the changers can probably outrun you.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016

Thanks!
Mike

Changing them is not a problem. The possibility of them coming back at you accusing YOU passing counterfeit bills does happen. Twice when we first arrived for a "trusted corner changer". All our bills where NEW and in sequence so those that they showed us did not match ours. A simple calling for the police and they ran.

My rather extreme case should point out that finding a good changer is the best way. Since our bad beginning we have a good relationship that has worked for over a decade with no problems at all.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Changing them is not a problem. The possibility of them coming back at you accusing YOU passing counterfeit bills does happen. Twice when we first arrived for a "trusted corner changer". All our bills where NEW and in sequence so those that they showed us did not match ours. A simple calling for the police and they ran.

My rather extreme case should point out that finding a good changer is the best way. Since our bad beginning we have a good relationship that has worked for over a decade with no problems at all.

the point is that one should never change money with those slugs on the corner yelling chains, chains.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007

#3 at Carib Express....no need for passport, a drivers license will do.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As someone else mentioned, examine your dollars closely before you leave. *We had a couple of hundreds with tiny tears, and both Western Union and BHD refused them. *We brought them to US and used with no problem.*

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
When you change your money into pesos it is best to get smaller denomination bills. Many of the smaller businesses do not have change for larger bills. Plus when you are out and about you can carry only what you plan to spend. It is not good to be flashing/carrying large bills.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
And a good chance the ATM machine will eat your card.

That never happened to us, but one time they took almost $500 from my checking account and gave me no pesos. *My bank eventually got it straightened out, but it was aggravating*