Suarezn Saleen White Elephant

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
The Saleen VS the Firebirds

I tried to be generous with Suarezn when I even tried to compare the stock Firebird Formula without aftermarket alterations to his DR1 picture-posted Saleen Mustang, which clearly shows the infamous S-281 blue elephant of the 90s.

Here is what reputable Motor Trend Magazine has to say in its issue of August 1996, Vol.48, no.8, pages 135-136 about Suarezns Saleen S-281 Mustang:

Titles:"A modified Mustang thats more pleasing to the eye than to the stopwatch" by Mac DeMere.

Quotes:"it delivers little additional "go" over a new SOHC v-8 power Mustang GT" "Despite costing more than $10,000 more than a stock 96 Mustang GT and boasting lower 3:55:1 axle ratio(up from a stock 3:27:1) and stickier tires, the S-281 bested its unmodified sibling by but 0.1 second in 0-60mph sprint: 6.9 seconds versus 7 seconds. The S-281s 15.3 second quarter mile topped the GTs best effort by 0.2, but its 89.8 trap speed was 1.2 slower. So not only would Saleens pony be humbled by the Camaro Z-28 and the Mustang Cobra, but would be hard pressed to beat the cheaper front-drive Mitsubishi Eclipse GS-T and Honda Prelude VTEC!!!!!""Despite the Saleen having $2100 of brake hardware upgrades it stopped just 4 ft. shorter from 60mph than the stock Mustang GT"."The Saleen Mustangs Wheel-tire package is the automotive equivalent of spiked heels:seductively attractive but they hurt your back" "Saleen gauges boast a 150mph speedometer, the last 10mph or so of which are unnecessary unless you are running downhill!!" "Options drove the Saleen to $31,962. That is $11,380 more than the stock Mustang GT. For a much reduced price, those who desire the good looks and exclusivity of Saleens fire breathing products can look, but not play the part"

Now Suarezn, I am being forgiving. I am posting the best that can be said about your car by Motor Trend. But pal, 6.9 seconds is slower than a Cadillac STS!!!! How dare you bring up your "turtle machine" next to my Firebird???? A quater mile at 15.3??? What are you a voladora from Haina to San Cristobal?

Let me tell you how bad you Saleen Mustang is. The same Motor Trend people tested two unsophisticated Firebirds from the 60s and 70s, the 69 Trans Am and the 71 TransAm 455HO in June of 1998, Vol50, No.6, pg.89 and both of these 4000lbs behemoths with clumsy suspensions and small tires drove circles around your Saleen. The 69 Firebird did 0-60 in 6.5 secs. and the 71 did 5.4 secs!!! Can you imagine what a Third or Fourth Generation Firebird will do to your Saleen, specially one with the added equipment of mine? Hey man....go back to the drawing board. Buy yourself a car.

Should anyone want the stats on my Firebird in "stock" dress wear, just let me know and I will shoot down the reports. Of course, Motor Trend has not been able to test my particular car with over $7000 in extra power gear, but can you imagine a normal Bird doing 5.3 secs. unmodified? Remember Suarezn, this is an LT1 Corvette engine we got underneath. To keep it under leash so Vette owners dont complain they restrict the exhaust. But we know what to do once we get them!

May I suggest a Super Charger, throw some nitro and a prayer and bring your Saleen to DR. Maybe perhaps you can take on my girlfriends Cavalier Z-28.

TW

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
TW.
You are better off not quoting from Motor Trend magazine. M/T is considered to be the NY Post of Automotive Journalism.
Statistics are just Numbers. It doesn't really say the whole story. For years the Honda Civic held the record for the slalom test in Road & Track magazine. Beating the Corvette, Viper and Ferrari! Does that mean it is a better Car?
Remember it is not When you get there sometimes. It is how!

Tony C.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Tony C

Tony C:

Don't try to get me into an argument with you. I finished with you and your Alfa. At least with the Saleen we are comparing modern cars. I'm not in the mood for discussing antiques.Enough said!!! By the way, what are you doing posting here in DR1. Are you nostalgic about us here in lowly DR? Why don't you try Brazil1. Sometimes I wonder about these foreigners spending so much time posting here from cold places in the tundras of the Midwest.

TW

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Tundra time

Tundra is a treeless area between the ice cap and the tree line of arctic regions, having a permanently frozen subsoil, where only lichens,moss, and almost extraterrestial plants grow. This type of land is particularly found in the northern Siberia.

The closest thing to a tundra in the United States is the Midwest under a snow storm between December and April, which is almost half of the year. With the corn fields in hybernation, nothing but extra-terrestial beings like you survive in such barren land. Oh I forgot, you live in the South Florida swamplands!! My mistake. It's Criss the tundra dweller.

TW

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
GM REALLY FAST CARS

Golo,

You sound like my kind of guy :) Your problem is that you compare a F**d with a GM car. It's not worth getting yourself worked up over.

I often wish I could get my BABY down to the DR for awhile. You would love her!!

1987 Olds Cutlass Salon, T- Tops. 30K documented original miles. She has a built up 502 cid big block Chevy that dynos close to 600 hp and 675 ft/lbs of torque. :)

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
TW,
Yes I live in the "Swamplands of South Florida." Actually I live south of Miami. With easy access of the nightlife in South Beach, the hustle and bustle of Downtown Miami, The mysterious beauty of the Everglades, the fantastic flats-fishing of Southern Biscayne Bay, the laidback atmosphere of the Keys, the unique cultural diversity that is South Florida and just 2 hours flight time from my home away from home, Santo Domingo! It don't get any better than this.

Tony C.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
Re: GM REALLY FAST CARS

bichondad said:
Golo,

You sound like my kind of guy :) Your problem is that you compare a F**d with a GM car. It's not worth getting yourself worked up over.

I often wish I could get my BABY down to the DR for awhile. You would love her!!

1987 Olds Cutlass Salon, T- Tops. 30K documented original miles. She has a built up 502 cid big block Chevy that dynos close to 600 hp and 675 ft/lbs of torque. :)

Bichondad,
Interesting Vehicle. Where do you live? I would like to see your car at the Car show I organize for charity every year at the Homestead-Miami Speedway! I can even arrange for you to take a lap around the track.

Tony C.

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
Bring that machine down

Hey Bichondad, bring that machine down here so we can kick some euroasses.

And Doug, I meant that message to some foreigners who live outside DR and think they know more than we do here, specially those who always want to make stupid comparisons like..."a $4,000,000 house in DR would only be a $200,000 dollar in the U.S. and in my neighborhood that would not buy you anything"

Good Lord! How can anyone from Detroit with a straight face can suggest that the value of a house in Detroit is similar to DR? You can count with your fingers in one hand the number of houses in Detroit that have marble floors, gypsum ceilings, balconies,24hr security,doormen,all-around protective fences, and all the other amenities that 4 million pesos and up housing have here in DR. I also want to challenge anyone from Detroit to move here and try to get a competitive job or get into a business and move enough money to buy one of these housing units.

Yet in Detroit, only the super,super rich can own such properties. The majority of Detroit houses are parquet wooden floored units with floors so ugly that they cover them up with rugs and with just a kick you can open a hole thru their plaster walls, which are not strong enough to hold mirrors without heavy anchors. Most of their houses have tacky aluminum siding or old bricks. Their gardens consist of a wire fenced grass mini space full of dandelions. C'mon people, be serious. Detroit is not New York's East side or Chicago's Gold Coast. And knowing both cities quite well, I venture to say that Santo Domingo right now has more luxury penthouses than Chicago. Other than the penthouses at One Magnificent Mile and the Water Tower on Michigan Ave. few other penthouses can match the size and quality found in this Island. And to find equal quality in New York you have to stick around the East side, Fifth Ave.(Trump Tower), 57th. St., the Madison Avenue area to the East River. Outside of that is all cheap housing. As to value, I know there are basements selling in New York for as much as US$200,000. But can that be compared to a similarly priced property here? On the opposite end I can argue that a used 1990 Honda Civic in DR costs more than a 2002 New one in the USA. Which brings me to the critics who say Dominicans overpay for their cars, yet they overpay for their housing. I know Dominicans who live in the ghetto of Corona Queens full of tigueres, ladrones and crime and buy houses for US$500,000 to 1,000,000!!!!!

TW

bichondad

Jan 19, 2002
FAST GM CARS

Tony C, and Golo,

I'm located in South Carolina.

I'd have a better chance getting my BABY to the DR on a ship than I would driving a car like her [4.11:1 rear end, Holley 850 double pumper, and FloMaster exhausts] to Homestead. :)

Still I'd love to go. Once around that track even with her skinny front tires would almost be worth it. :)

Golo,

Some years back while in the DR my neighbor down there asked me the following question:.................." If you Americans are so smart, why do you build almost all your homes from something [ WOOD ] that BUGS [ Termites ] love to eat?" :)

No smart answer then and none now!!! :(