Electric bill & Internet speeds in Colonial Zone

cultureholic

Dec 8, 2016
Anyone here live/rent in the Colonial Zone? I found an apartment that fits most of what I want, but there's no electricity and internet installed yet (it has been vacant) and I'll have to do it when I move in. How can I be sure that I can get high speed internet at that location, which is pretty central to the zone (or should I not worry), and what would be the average cost for those who have it? I work from home so it's a must for me.

Same for the luz - what would be an average bill per month? Just wanted to have an idea. Thanks in advance!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Another thing to look into is there a full planta or at least an inversor? Working at home you will need reliable electricity.

cultureholic

Dec 8, 2016
Yes, thanks! Supposedly that area has 24/7 power (aside from monthly maintenance minutes) because it's touristy but I did wonder about that too.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Yes, thanks! Supposedly that area has 24/7 power (aside from monthly maintenance minutes) because it's touristy but I did wonder about that too.

Trust me, there is no 24/7. It would be wise to purchase a UPS for your pc and modem/router. Look for one that can give you at least a few hours of operation time.

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014

The only 24/7 power is in the neighborhoods surrounding the presidential palace. My sister lives there and the power never goes out.

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
We use Claro for phone and high speed internet. We pay about 3,400 RD monthly. As for electric the bill depends on how much you use. Stay under 700 kw monthly and you will receive subsidies and keep the bill at or near 5,000 RD monthly, but exceed that and you will pay EDESTES highest price per KW.

cultureholic

Dec 8, 2016
We use Claro for phone and high speed internet. We pay about 3,400 RD monthly. As for electric the bill depends on how much you use. Stay under 700 kw monthly and you will receive subsidies and keep the bill at or near 5,000 RD monthly, but exceed that and you will pay EDESTES highest price per KW.

Thanks, that's very helpful!

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I started with Claro, had them for years. After some headaches, I made the switch to Tricom. They're very good, if available there. You're spot on regarding that 700kw mark. Wow does the bill skyrocket after that.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Trust me, there is no 24/7. It would be wise to purchase a UPS for your pc and modem/router. Look for one that can give you at least a few hours of operation time.

No UPS will provide hours of time, especially backup for a PC or laptop. They're intended to provide time to shut down in an orderly fashion vs running through a power outage.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
No UPS will provide hours of time, especially backup for a PC or laptop. They're intended to provide time to shut down in an orderly fashion vs running through a power outage.

Forgot to add, there was a thread not too long ago a poster recommended replacing the battery pack of the UPS with a deep cycle car battery for extended power. Also if the OP is using a laptop then the only concern would be to keep the modem/router powered.

cultureholic

Dec 8, 2016
Forgot to add, there was a thread not too long ago a poster recommended replacing the battery pack of the UPS with a deep cycle car battery for extended power. Also if the OP is using a laptop then the only concern would be to keep the modem/router powered.

Yes I am using a laptop ! Thanks, I had never heard of these contraptions, only seen the inversor some places have.

If anyone lives in the Zona, would love to know how the luz situation has been in the last year. Though I know that always changes! Gazcue (where I am now) has had WAY more cuts these last 6 months, than say last year. They don't last usually more than 30 mins but it's a pain.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012

I remember that thread; I seem to recall you and I had a very similar exchange in it. And yes, the internet is the weakest link here. I keep a 4G LTE portable router (USB charging) for just such occasions where my UPS doesn't outlast the power outages here in the east (a 4G USB stick will work just as well). Usually they do, but every now and then someone cuts a line instead of simply flipping a breaker. I also have a new battery for my laptop rated for 6+ hours. Between the two I can outlast almost an entire day's power outage if needed.

One cheap solution could also be to get one of those portable jump-starters and a car invertor. Plug the two together and use it to keep the laptop charged as long as possible. A good B&D jumpstarter is $8k at Americana, and a car invertor is $2k. It'll stretch the laptop battery by keeping it charged, and you can move it from room to room if needed. Oh, and you can jumpstart your car too.

cultureholic

Dec 8, 2016
Thanks all for the advice. One last q: do you think US$550 is reasonable for a small but cozy furnished 2-bedroom in the middle of the Zona? Probably will come to $700 with expenses (light, internet) added?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks all for the advice. One last q: do you think US$550 is reasonable for a small but cozy furnished 2-bedroom in the middle of the Zona? Probably will come to $700 with expenses (light, internet) added?

I think so...................

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

On a side note, you should have no problem turning on the electricity. Take rental contract and passport. They ask what electrical appliances you have to determine your deposit. Pay the deposit and in a couple of days you have lights. Don't be late with a payment because they are quick to send someone out and turn your electric off.

Getting internet may be a hassle. I originally got internet, TV, and landline from Claro. I needed all kinds of ID and proof of income. I think I waited over a week to get approved. Again, pay a deposit and they come to hook you up.

Don't expect anything to get done overnight, but in due time it will get done.

Jan 9, 2004
Anyone here live/rent in the Colonial Zone? I found an apartment that fits most of what I want, but there's no electricity and internet installed yet (it has been vacant) and I'll have to do it when I move in. How can I be sure that I can get high speed internet at that location, which is pretty central to the zone (or should I not worry), and what would be the average cost for those who have it? I work from home so it's a must for me.

Same for the luz - what would be an average bill per month? Just wanted to have an idea. Thanks in advance!

Since you already live there, you likely know most of the unexpected things that can.....and do happen.

One thing not mentioned was to check on the apartment to make sure the prior tenant did not leave an unpaid electric invoice........or they will refuse to provide service....hoping you already have a contract to rent and will be forced into paying them in order to obtain new service.

I had an apartment in Gazcue for several years and much prefer it to ZC......but I had a vehicle.....making things a bit easier to get around.

Good luck with the move.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2