fish??

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I believe it is Sea Bass. This is the only fish I will buy that is frozen here.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I don't know what it is, but I buy it frozen in DR all the time and we enjoy it. *Please don't tell me it's something awful.*

ExDR

Jul 31, 2014
I don't know what it is, but I buy it frozen in DR all the time and we enjoy it. *Please don't tell me it's something awful.*

If you like catfish like I do, then it's not awful. They are bottom feeders and are imported from Vietnam.

The basa fish (Pangasius bocourti) is a species of catfish in the family Pangasiidae. Basa are native to the Mekong and Chao Phraya basins in Indochina

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
just dont eat basa and mero thinking you are eating something healthy. i do cook up a nice filet a few times a month because its so easy and cheap. 69 pesos per pound

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
just dont eat basa and mero thinking you are eating something healthy. i do cook up a nice filet a few times a month because its so easy and cheap. 69 pesos per pound

True. I make it on the gas grill, on top of aluminum foil. A bit of Old Bay seasoning and a little butter. Doesn't get much easier than that.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
the sea bass in the supermarkets doesn't come from here I've seen them taking it out of boxes in la serena I think it said Thailand on the boxes.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
the sea bass in the supermarkets doesn't come from here I've seen them taking it out of boxes in la serena I think it said Thailand on the boxes.

that stuff, which is 50% ice and the rest some farm raised fish, comes from some fish farm in places like Cambodia or Vietnam.*

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
They're the ones that didn't get away.

[video=youtube_share;pZg0s2wmZFI]https://youtu.be/pZg0s2wmZFI[/video]

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Mero is grouper, but sea bass here is sold as "mero." Go figure.

Years back on DR1 I did a test to see what % of a frozen filet was water, by weighing a frozen filet and the weighing it after the water has melted. The answer is 30% by weight.

The water encasement is not to rip you off. It's for the protection of the filet in it's future travels.

Factor in the 30% when determining portion allocation. An 8oz. frozen filet is actually a little under 6oz.

And by the nature of sea bass, virtually nothing you can do short of serious overcooking will make the filet more firm.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
They're the ones that didn't get away.

[video=youtube_share;pZg0s2wmZFI]https://youtu.be/pZg0s2wmZFI[/video]

For those who have never seen one that tape was speeded up about double. They are really quite slow. I caught one walking once and put it in a barrel. The nexk morning it was gone. Did it go up vertically 12 inches and over the side or did someone come along and liberate it or take it home for their plate? I'll never know
Der Fish

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
that fish is loaded with antibiotics and is farm raised . Farm raised means its also load with chemicals to grow in half the time it take for a normal fish to grow in filthy tanks unregulated in south east asia. YOU ARE BETTER OFF EATING HORSE PUP OFF THE MALCON.

I recently read an article about farmed shrimp that will keep me from eating any shrimp I am not 100% sure are not farm raised. I was in California and asked a young lady working the fish counter in a supermarket if she ate the farm raised Salmon. She was adamant that she would NEVER eat it. She said that they feed them something to turn the fish meat orange (or whatever color it is) and that sometimes they came in where either they didn't get it or were resistant and the fish meat was gray. I don't eat Salmon here in this country and although I love Sushi I won't eat it here.

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
If you like catfish like I do, then it's not awful. They are bottom feeders and are imported from Vietnam.

The basa fish (Pangasius bocourti) is a species of catfish in the family Pangasiidae. Basa are native to the Mekong and Chao Phraya basins in Indochina

Have seen it' wouldn't touch it. Yes, its basically a catfish, imported from SE Asia. Why anyone would eat that crap is beyond me.

May 29, 2006
Farmed fish and shrimp need antibiotics because they are grown in condensed populations. There are numerous parallels comparing it to chicken and other concentrated feed lots.

I usually eat river caught tilapia here or parrotfish on the coast. The DR should really get in gear to start eating lionfish, which are wiping out native species and from what I hear are quite tasty. They are easily caught with a spear and a modified bucket to put them in.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Farmed fish and shrimp need antibiotics because they are grown in condensed populations. There are numerous parallels comparing it to chicken and other concentrated feed lots.

I usually eat river caught tilapia here or parrotfish on the coast. The DR should really get in gear to start eating lionfish, which are wiping out native species and from what I hear are quite tasty. They are easily caught with a spear and a modified bucket to put them in.

Lionfish are indeed tasty. There are several islands including St. Maarten , Anguilla, St Thomas and others that offer lionfish at local restaurants. It's a popular eating fish.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I only eat that fish that is caught locally.I never eat cheap fish that is loaded with cancer carcinogen.
Red snapper is a nice fish
and if you drive along the Malcon you can buy some caught with in the hour.

the only problem i have experienced with the red snapper along the malecon is that they are about the size of a sardine.