Opening a bank account in dr online

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiocco

Mar 26, 2016
Hi guys,
a quick question, does anybody opened an account on line with a DR Bank? I know that in others Country this is possible and I would like to know if anyone are aware about if this is can be done in DR.
Thanks a lot .

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If Houdini came back from the dead he could not do this. Forget it.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
If you already have an account with a Dominican bank, in some cases you can open another via the bank's web site. I assume you were thinking of starting a banking relationship over the Internet. I think it's unlikely. A good workaround might be setting up an account over the Internet with a bank based in another country. You could then use credit and/or debit cards to access the funds from the Dominican Republic. The catch is you would have to convert the funds to Dominican pesos. It's been many years since that exchange rate between any hard currency and Dominican pesos has been unfavorable to the hard currency.

If you are trying to establish a commercial banking relationship, I can't think of a viable way to do that online.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
2 days ago I went to Banco Popular with a friend to open an US$ account for him.
He lives here for 16years and has a valid residencia/cedula and never came in contact with the police.
Took him more than 2hours before he could deposit US$ 1,100 on his new account.....

Over the internet? Hahahaha no way!

And comparing the DR with any other country or part of this planet is a big no-no.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
It would be easier to buy the bank then try to open up an account without going in person.

2 days ago I went to Banco Popular with a friend to open an US$ account for him.
He lives here for 16years and has a valid residencia/cedula and never came in contact with the police.
Took him more than 2hours before he could deposit US$ 1,100 on his new account.....

Over the internet? Hahahaha no way!

And comparing the DR with any other country or part of this planet is a big no-no.

Took us 3 months at the popular in Cabarete and we have property here, cedula/res, reference letters out our ass, had an account at scotia bank in DR already, never been arrested anywhere, a good sum of money etc...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Took us 3 months at the popular in Cabarete and we have property here, cedula/res, reference letters out our ass, had an account at scotia bank in DR already, never been arrested anywhere, a good sum of money etc...

It took me 15 minutes at Ban Reservas on San Martin in SD. No cedula,
I don't own property here and I only gave two names with phone numbers
as references. My good sum of money to open the account was around 2,000 pesos :cheeky:
Some days its so nice living like the locals.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
We needed a popular account for my wife's job to deposit money.

Interesting. I know many people here both gringo and Dominican who receive
their pay through Banco Popular but do not have a checking or savings account.
They use a Banco Popular card to receive funds and its handled / set up through
a payroll company.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
as references. My good sum of money to open the account was around 2,000 pesos :cheeky:

Location, location , location.

On line? Not happening.

Eyes

Apr 30, 2012
Got an account opened at popular with just a UK passport and bank reference letter from my U.K. Bank. Within 5 working days was up and running online I would say no chance at all!

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005

may i ask you which nationality you are? for Americans it is very difficult... they ask endless questions here. Congratulations! and thanks :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If they start to ask endless questions just tell them you will be back later, leave and go to another branch. No two branches, or people do the same thing here.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
The reason they ask so many questions and require a lot from U.S. citizens is because the U.S. Gov. wants to know about every penny we have so they are sure they take all they can, even if we are no longer living in the states. A U.S. citizen living abroad (you can only spend 32 or 33 days in the states per year or you don't qualify) can earn up to $93,000 without paying taxes to the states (it could be a bit more or less, I haven't checked lately).
I have my Ban Reservas account for 10 years, plus I had a contact inside, so I didn't have to jump through any hoops.
I will say this that bank wires sent to my account in Ban Reservas which took too long in the past is now available within the hour.

Status
Not open for further replies.