Playa Rincon

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Ok...let's get away from all the negativity for a minute...

When I was in the DR on vacation (December) I went to a beach in Las Galeras called Playa Rincon. I read that this beach was rated as one of the top 10 in the world, by Conde Nast traveler, so since I was in Las Galeras anyway, I had to go see it. I was not disappointed. This has to be the best beach that I've been to. Everything was just perfect. Great scenery (Mountains on one side, Coconuts on the back, etc), the softest sand, not too wavy not too quiet, and to top it off, there were very few people there. I really enjoyed it. Has anyone else been there? If not, I would highly recommend it. You can take a boat right from Las Galeras, or drive through a somewhat rough road (4x4 recommended). I was told that they are going to build a resort right in front of it, which in my view is a a shame, but what can you do? You can't stop "progress", I guess...

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
Don't be too upset about the resort being built on the beach at Playa Rincon. Not only is the project on indefinate hold, but since the enire Samana Peninsula has been declared "environmentally sensitive," any future projects will have heavy environmental considerations to deal with. You might want to check out the What's New section of www.samana.net for pictures and the latest information on this project and another, a campground overlooking Playa Rincon.

There is also another development project under construction worth noting, an eco-tourism oriented attraction located on Playa Fronton at the base of the majestic Cape Samana. This project is to become part of the new Cape Samana National Monument. More information and pictures can also be found in What's New on Samana Net.

It's absolutely true that Playa Rincon is as pretty as you describe it and many of those of us that live in the DR would like to see it (and Playa Fronton) stay that way.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Here's a seldom seen panorama of Playa Rincon as seen from atop the ridge on the south side of Rincon Bay. It took almost an hour of arduous climbing (at least "arduous" for this old man) to get there. Enjoy the view. Courtesy of Andy B

playa_rincon.jpg

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Rincon...?

I think I have been there, but need to check with you guys. Is this the beach that has the river mouth on the west end of it?

marc

Andy B

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
www.elmarinique.com
You are correct. The Cana Frio, a small , C-O-L-D, freshwater stream is at the northwest end of the beach. It is at the top of the above picture and is not visible in the view. The expanded Cabo Cabron National Park boundaries now encompass this pristine waterway and hopefully this will help insure the preservation of this fragile environment.

ArJay

Jan 1, 2002
Rincon

Yes was there on motorcycle. Very arduous drive though someone assured me that busses have made it. Hard to believe. On my way as I came to each intersection, there were always some local kids pointing the way for me so I never had to stop to ask directions. They always assumed el gringo va a la playa.