Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question renting apartment without residency visa

can u rent an apartment in the d.r without a residency visa long as u have proof of income or could u pay a year rent upfront instead do most landlords in the d.r accept it

thank you

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nycenative1 View Post
    can u rent an apartment in the d.r without a residency visa

Certainly ! We have been renting for over 5 years . The landlord was only interested in getting his deposit and first month rent - nothing else. " A year rent up front ? " Nah , I wouldn't do that . I remember we were going to offer our landlord 6 months rent in advance but our lawyer told us not to do that. Our passports + deposit + 1 month rent in advance sealed the deal for us .

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If you have the money you can rent an apartment. The more fear, uncertainty, and doubt you project to prospective landlords and/or rental agents about your nationality, residency requirements and income, the more money you will need to rent the apartment.

Keep it simple and focus on the condition of the property, which party is responsible for which repairs, and whether there are any outstanding utility debts. Personal details about your economic situation and how often you may be away from the property are generally more interesting to ne'er do wells than law abiding neighbors and landlords. Good luck.

4. Likes Buffness liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Good advice, paying up front discourages good faith fulfillment of responsibilities. Involving lawyers in residential rental transactions seems like overkill, but then I would never consider paying several months rent in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffness View Post
    Certainly ! We have been renting for over 5 years . The landlord was only interested in getting his deposit and first month rent - nothing else. " A year rent up front ? " Nah , I wouldn't do that . I remember we were going to offer our landlord 6 months rent in advance but our lawyer told us not to do that. Our passports + deposit + 1 month rent in advance sealed the deal for us .

Post Thanks / Like

ok thank you

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree. One month rent and 1-2 deposit is enough. You need a copy of your passport for the contract. Make sure it states whether you can live up the deposits or if they are to be paid back and in that case the timeframe of notifying the owner. A contract is usually made by the owners lawyer and cost is 1000-2000 pesos.*

8. Likes sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Paying a year u front if you are not familiar with the property, nor the landlord, nor the area would be something i wouldn't consider. How many nights per week is there loud music in the street? How fast is the landlord likely to respond when the air conditioner dies etc...
    Der Fish

10. Likes Garyexpat, yacht chef, drstock liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Depends,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, on the area and the owner. Some landlords will NOT rent without a fiador or two months deposit plus four months rent in advance. No set in stone rules in la rep dom.

I can hear it now, heck no I am not paying four months in advance. Landlord says, no problem go find another apartment.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I paid a two month deposit and the first month's rent up front. Would NEVER pay a year in advance, as you will never see or hear from your landlord ever again.

13. Likes arturo, sanpedrogringo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Unscrupulous landlords depend on unwitting renters not understanding how much of a renter's market there is. The number of vacant and under construction rental properties is greater than ever, especially in Santo Domingo. "Go find another apartment" is a bluff because it is very easy to do just that. All the leverage is with the renter. Prospective renters should keep that in mind when looking and negotiating.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbird View Post
    Depends,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, on the area and the owner. Some landlords will NOT rent without a fiador or two months deposit plus four months rent in advance. No set in stone rules in la rep dom.

I can hear it now, heck no I am not paying four months in advance. Landlord says, no problem go find another apartment.

15. Likes Garyexpat liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast