renting apartment without residency visa

nycenative1

Dec 20, 2016
can u rent an apartment in the d.r without a residency visa long as u have proof of income or could u pay a year rent upfront instead do most landlords in the d.r accept it

thank you

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
can u rent an apartment in the d.r without a residency visa

Certainly ! We have been renting for over 5 years . The landlord was only interested in getting his deposit and first month rent - nothing else. " A year rent up front ? " Nah , I wouldn't do that . I remember we were going to offer our landlord 6 months rent in advance but our lawyer told us not to do that. Our passports + deposit + 1 month rent in advance sealed the deal for us .

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
If you have the money you can rent an apartment. The more fear, uncertainty, and doubt you project to prospective landlords and/or rental agents about your nationality, residency requirements and income, the more money you will need to rent the apartment.

Keep it simple and focus on the condition of the property, which party is responsible for which repairs, and whether there are any outstanding utility debts. Personal details about your economic situation and how often you may be away from the property are generally more interesting to ne'er do wells than law abiding neighbors and landlords. Good luck.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Good advice, paying up front discourages good faith fulfillment of responsibilities. Involving lawyers in residential rental transactions seems like overkill, but then I would never consider paying several months rent in advance.
Certainly ! We have been renting for over 5 years . The landlord was only interested in getting his deposit and first month rent - nothing else. " A year rent up front ? " Nah , I wouldn't do that . I remember we were going to offer our landlord 6 months rent in advance but our lawyer told us not to do that. Our passports + deposit + 1 month rent in advance sealed the deal for us .

POP_DR

May 29, 2016
I agree. One month rent and 1-2 deposit is enough. You need a copy of your passport for the contract. Make sure it states whether you can live up the deposits or if they are to be paid back and in that case the timeframe of notifying the owner. A contract is usually made by the owners lawyer and cost is 1000-2000 pesos.*

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Paying a year u front if you are not familiar with the property, nor the landlord, nor the area would be something i wouldn't consider. How many nights per week is there loud music in the street? How fast is the landlord likely to respond when the air conditioner dies etc...
Der Fish

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Depends,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, on the area and the owner. Some landlords will NOT rent without a fiador or two months deposit plus four months rent in advance. No set in stone rules in la rep dom.

I can hear it now, heck no I am not paying four months in advance. Landlord says, no problem go find another apartment.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I paid a two month deposit and the first month's rent up front. Would NEVER pay a year in advance, as you will never see or hear from your landlord ever again.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
Unscrupulous landlords depend on unwitting renters not understanding how much of a renter's market there is. The number of vacant and under construction rental properties is greater than ever, especially in Santo Domingo. "Go find another apartment" is a bluff because it is very easy to do just that. All the leverage is with the renter. Prospective renters should keep that in mind when looking and negotiating.
Depends,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, on the area and the owner. Some landlords will NOT rent without a fiador or two months deposit plus four months rent in advance. No set in stone rules in la rep dom.

I can hear it now, heck no I am not paying four months in advance. Landlord says, no problem go find another apartment.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Unscrupulous landlords depend on unwitting renters not understanding how much of a renter's market there is. The number of vacant and under construction rental properties is greater than ever, especially in Santo Domingo. "Go find another apartment" is a bluff because it is very easy to do just that. All the leverage is with the renter. Prospective renters should keep that in mind when looking and negotiating.

As the old saying goes YMMV. For a foreigner looking for an apartment in Santo Domingo Centro it is NOT uncommon for the landlord to ask for two months security and four months in advance if renting without a fiador. I am just speaking from my own experience and from that of a few friends who looked for an apartment. I hear on the other side of the river it is easier to rent.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Of course and there are always apartments where one is not treated as a suspect of some kind and can rent without any deposit at all.
Der Fish

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Of course and there are always apartments where one is not treated as a suspect of some kind and can rent without any deposit at all.
Der Fish

Yes that is true, but all depends on what you are willing to settle for. I doubt very seriously you can find an apartment in SD D.N. with full planta, A/C, gated building, etc. and be able to rent with no deposit at all. Just me but these are things I require while some are willing to settle for a whole lot less.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Der Fish

I rented two apartments in SD and both times I was required to pay two months plus four months. I never once felt like I was being treated as a suspect. I saw it as the owner looking out for his/her investment. As a foreigner who is to say I won't trash the place, hop on a plane to never be seen again? It is what it is, take it or leave it.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Yes that is true, but all depends on what you are willing to settle for. I doubt very seriously you can find an apartment in SD D.N. with full planta, A/C, gated building, etc. and be able to rent with no deposit at all. Just me but these are things I require while some are willing to settle for a whole lot less.

I would not consider living behind a gate in a full gated community. Everyone has their own fear factor. I prefer to be part of the community instead of hiding away from the natives.
Der Fish

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I would not consider living behind a gate in a full gated community. Everyone has their own fear factor. I prefer to be part of the community instead of hiding away from the natives.
Der Fish

Derfish, read my post as I said gated building, NOT gated community. In Santo Domingo just about ALL the nice high rise apartment buildings have a security gate. Believe it or not you are still part of the community. Both apartments I had the closest gringo I knew of was ten city blocks away. You can have your cement block zinc roof shack. I prefer to live comfortably in paradise.

To the best of my knowledge there are NO gated communities in Santo Domingo Centro.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Derfish, read my post as I said gated building, NOT gated community. In Santo Domingo just about ALL the nice high rise apartment buildings have a security gate. Believe it or not you are still part of the community. Both apartments I had the closest gringo I knew of was ten city blocks away. You can have your cement block zinc roof shack. I prefer to live comfortably in paradise.

To the best of my knowledge there are NO gated communities in Santo Domingo Centro.

I wouldn't consider living locked behind a gate in a full gated building either. We are all different. Go ahead live in a cage if that is what you like. Not me.
Der Fish

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I wouldn't consider living locked behind a gate in a full gated building either. We are all different. Go ahead live in a cage if that is what you like. Not me.
Der Fish

You consider something like this a cage? Or truth of the matter it is way, way, way out of your budget?

9sqtdg.jpg

Like you said, we are all different. I like A/C you settle for a fan.

o0r05k.jpg