Boar's Head Cold Cuts

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Has anybody ever seen or know where to purchase Boar's Head Cold Cuts here in the DR (if even possible), specifically the south coast from Santo Domingo to La Romana? Being sandwiched (ooops) between Juan Dolio and La Romana there are no shortage of Italian cured meats, but nothing in the lines of Roast Beef, Turkey or a good Ham. On my last Stateside trip I considered bringing some back with me, but didn't want to have to go through the hassle of explaining it to inspectors on either side. I am willing to travel for it.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Has anybody ever seen or know where to purchase Boar's Head Cold Cuts here in the DR (if even possible), specifically the south coast from Santo Domingo to La Romana? Being sandwiched (ooops) between Juan Dolio and La Romana there are no shortage of Italian cured meats, but nothing in the lines of Roast Beef, Turkey or a good Ham. On my last Stateside trip I considered bringing some back with me, but didn't want to have to go through the hassle of explaining it to inspectors on either side. I am willing to travel for it.

In the future no problem bringing meat into la rep dom. You will only have problems with fresh fruits, vegetables, or plants which they will confiscate.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
In the future no problem bringing meat into la rep dom. You will only have problems with fresh fruits, vegetables, or plants which they will confiscate.
I appreciate the response, and like the direction it is headed, but which source are we relying on? I hope it's not Juan in the corner colmado.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I appreciate the response, and like the direction it is headed, but which source are we relying on? I hope it's not Juan in the corner colmado.

The source? Myself,,,,,,,, I bring back meat all the time. Had my luggage opened many a time at SDQ and never a word said. Try to bring in some yellow lemons and they catch you they will take them. I have brought in and had inspected everything from frozen ground beef to frozen jumbo shrimp.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

I don't think you will find this brand in the DR. If you are willing to travel for it get on a plane to Fla.you will find it there. I would be happy to ship some to you but the cost would be prohibitive and customs would probably make a sub first.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't think you will find this brand in the DR. If you are willing to travel for it get on a plane to Fla.you will find it there. I would be happy to ship some to you but the cost would be prohibitive and customs would probably make a sub first.

LTSteve, i don?t think customs would be discerning enough to know the difference between Boar?s Head and Induveca, or some other local brand. i think they would pass it over, looking for more tasty morsels, like some watch clone.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
LTSteve, i don?t think customs would be discerning enough to know the difference between Boar?s Head and Induveca, or some other local brand. i think they would pass it over, looking for more tasty morsels, like some watch clone.

You're probably right but to some Boar's Head is as valuable as gold!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

Whenever I go back to the US (which is only about once a year), it is specifically for the purpose of bringing in food, typically for Passover or other holidays of my people.

I called the Dominican consul in NY before I attempted it the first time, and it's not a big deal. I once came back with two suitcases, each weighing 50 lbs., of kosher meat/food products.

The rules stipulate that the products must be in their original packaging, it's a good idea if they're frozen (but you can get around that by just putting some picnic ice-packs in with the pkgs to give the impression of frozen), and the whole thing should be wrapped or bagged in plastic. Those big air-sucker bags from Bed Bath & Beyond are perfect.

Throw it all in your checked baggage. You're flying at 30,000+ feet, so everything stays wicked cold.

I once packed a bag, traveled from CT to Newark, waited for 3 hours in Newark, flew into POP, traveled from POP to Sosua, and the stuff in my bag was still frozen.

And if you ever encounter any special "interest," tell them you have dietary restrictions of a religious nature. Guaranteed to end any conversation.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
The Punto Italia people have similar imported Italian products. They are not exactly like Boar's Head and other American 'embutidos.' The Italian versions are not as salty and not injected with gelatin, dyes, and preservatives like the American products. The European Union banned those kinds of food additives quite some time ago.
to you and me, yes. to guys who are accustomed to Induveca salami....not so much.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
And if you ever encounter any special "interest," tell them you have dietary restrictions of a religious nature. Guaranteed to end any conversation.
Officer, these Jimmy Dean sausages and Moon Pies are religious sacraments..."

:cheeky:

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Officer, these Jimmy Dean sausages and Moon Pies are religious sacraments..."

:cheeky:

I pictured you a a Mallomar Man!
Nice tall glass of milk, I could eat one side.
I remember as a young tambo making a train with all of the old boxes.

100th-birthday-Mallomars.jpg

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The Punto Italia people have similar imported Italian products. They are not exactly like Boar's Head and other American 'embutidos.' The Italian versions are not as salty and not injected with gelatin, dyes, and preservatives like the American products. The European Union banned those kinds of food additives quite some time ago.

yes, but those carcinogens do impart a lovely flavor...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Whenever I go back to the US (which is only about once a year), it is specifically for the purpose of bringing in food, typically for Passover or other holidays of my people.

I called the Dominican consul in NY before I attempted it the first time, and it's not a big deal. I once came back with two suitcases, each weighing 50 lbs., of kosher meat/food products.

The rules stipulate that the products must be in their original packaging, it's a good idea if they're frozen (but you can get around that by just putting some picnic ice-packs in with the pkgs to give the impression of frozen), and the whole thing should be wrapped or bagged in plastic. Those big air-sucker bags from Bed Bath & Beyond are perfect.

Throw it all in your checked baggage. You're flying at 30,000+ feet, so everything stays wicked cold.

I once packed a bag, traveled from CT to Newark, waited for 3 hours in Newark, flew into POP, traveled from POP to Sosua, and the stuff in my bag was still frozen.

I tried that last year. Four huge suitcases coming down, and one was filled with beef, and Italian cheeses. Meat frozen and everything inside insulated bags inside the suitcase. We got to SDQ and found 3 bags - the one with the food was missing. It was delivered to SDQ the next day, but it was too late to get to the airport [baggage closed at 5, they called us at 4.30]. We showed up 8 am the next morning, and believe it or not, most things were still frozen, and whatever defrosted was still very cold.

I don't think I'll do that again - next time the foods will be in carry-ons, and unfortunately that means not as much.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I pictured you a a Mallomar Man!
Nice tall glass of milk, I could eat one side.
I remember as a young tambo making a train with all of the old boxes.

100th-birthday-Mallomars.jpg
There was a BBQ joint near my lake house near the AL / TN / MS border that had their own version of a "Happy Meal": a pulled-pork BBQ & cole slaw sandwich on white bread with fries (in peanut oil), an RC Cola and Moon Pie.

Them's good eatin'...;)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I tried that last year. Four huge suitcases coming down, and one was filled with beef, and Italian cheeses. Meat frozen and everything inside insulated bags inside the suitcase. We got to SDQ and found 3 bags - the one with the food was missing. It was delivered to SDQ the next day, but it was too late to get to the airport [baggage closed at 5, they called us at 4.30]. We showed up 8 am the next morning, and believe it or not, most things were still frozen, and whatever defrosted was still very cold.

I don't think I'll do that again - next time the foods will be in carry-ons, and unfortunately that means not as much.
There are bags specifically for keeping things frozen available at Nacional & Price Smart.

A simple trick I have found that works well for keeping things frozen is to wrap them generously with brown paper grocery bags.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are bags specifically for keeping things frozen available at Nacional & Price Smart.

A simple trick I have found that works well for keeping things frozen is to wrap them generously with brown paper grocery bags.

We had the meat in those... but remember that we packed them at 6 a.m. on Sunday morning before heading to the airport, God knows where they were until 4.30 Monday afternoon, and we didn't actually get them until 8 a.m. Tuesday morning. Overnight in an office somewhere at SDQ. Pretty remarkable that they were still cold after over 48 hours.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We had the meat in those... but remember that we packed them at 6 a.m. on Sunday morning before heading to the airport, God knows where they were until 4.30 Monday afternoon, and we didn't actually get them until 8 a.m. Tuesday morning. Overnight in an office somewhere at SDQ. Pretty remarkable that they were still cold after over 48 hours.
Did you cook the meat?