AMET cracking down

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Driving from Santiago to Jarabacoa at 11:30pm Saturday night, there wasn't a lot of traffic on the roads, but many in the traffic we saw were weaving all over the road.

It's scary to try passing someone you know is badly impaired...

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
AMET has been out here in Bavaro as well. Seems to mainly be before noon, but saw two checkpoints early this AM on Av Espana.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Passing an obviously drunk driver is a bad idea. Why give them an opportunity to crash into your car? It's me I either follow to watch and see what happens or pull over for a little refreshment and give them some highway space.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
AMET has had a Big presence in Bani since before Christmas. Very active and mostly stopping overloaded camionetas.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Driving from Santiago to Jarabacoa at 11:30pm Saturday night, there wasn't a lot of traffic on the roads, but many in the traffic we saw were weaving all over the road.

It's scary to try passing someone you know is badly impaired...

I would rather pass them than follow. Between now and New Years Eve I would not want to be on the roads late at night.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Passing an obviously drunk driver is a bad idea. Why give them an opportunity to crash into your car? It's me I either follow to watch and see what happens or pull over for a little refreshment and give them some highway space.
Because traffic would pile up behind me.

I just wait for an opportune moment and go. I'd rather have an impaired driver behind me than in front.

Besides, he was going like 45 on the autopista.

It's rare we're on the roads after dark. Very rare.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Because traffic would pile up behind me.

I just wait for an opportune moment and go. I'd rather have an impaired driver behind me than in front.

Besides, he was going like 45 on the autopista.

It's rare we're on the roads after dark. Very rare.

Same here. Takes an act of congress to get me out after dark.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I think it's true there are more impaired drivers on the road after dark. We've all seen them during the day as well. Something I like about driving at night is the early warning you get from the headlights of other vehicles, at least from those vehicles that have headlights. It's a different sort of driving at night. Anyone with poor night vision should avoid it. Darkness or sun glare, it's a toss up really. I don't like night driving in the country. Just the other day coming down from Jarabacoa I was thinking to myself "I hope I get off this mountain before the sun gets much lower!" It's amazing how dark some of those curves are.
Same here. Takes an act of congress to get me out after dark.