Plumber

shunch

Nov 21, 2012
Hi folks..
We had a new hot water heater installed. Didn't work from the get go. Bought a new element. Still isn't working. Errr
Anyone know a reliable plumber in Sosua that can come in a day or two??
Need to shower lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
In the mean time while waiting for a plumber, Things to check....

(1) Did they turn the water back on?
(2) Did they turn the electric back on?

Perhaps the switch is bad or disconnected accidentally when they wired in the new water heater.

shunch

Nov 21, 2012
In the mean time while waiting for a plumber, Things to check....

(1) Did they turn the water back on?
(2) Did they turn the electric back on?

Perhaps the switch is bad or disconnected accidentally when they wired in the new water heater.

No. Everything is new. Nothing but a gong show here!!

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
What kind of system? Tankless? Or with tanque? I have several good plumber contacts. PM me for info.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
No. Everything is new. Nothing but a gong show here!!

Next thought is, are you running 220v or 110v to the heating element?
Perhaps it?s a 220v element on a 110v circuit.

Good luck finding a "Maestro", down here, everyone is a Maestro in what they do.

Are you getting water out of the hot water faucet, even if it?s cold?
If so, then it?s not a plumbing but an electrical problem.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Good luck finding a "Maestro", down here, everyone is a Maestro in what they do.

there you go. if you are getting a normal flow of cold water, then you don?t appear to have a plumbing problem.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Hi folks..
We had a new hot water heater installed. Didn't work from the get go. Bought a new element. Still isn't working. Errr
Anyone know a reliable plumber in Sosua that can come in a day or two??
Need to shower lol

I found cold showers no issue in the Caribbean. Now in the winter in the frozen North you must have hot water or you go straight to hypothermia

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

May 29, 2006
Start at the breaker box. Could be it blew the breaker and the wiring isn't rated for more than 15 amps. An electric hot water tank pretty much only has a thermostat and a heating element.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i love it when people who grew up in tropical climes like Ottawa and Green Bay cant take a shower in Santo Domingo without hot water.

trucker

Mar 20, 2011
If you turned the electric on before the tank is full of water, you will burn out the heating element.

POP_DR

May 29, 2016
Good one is Tony in Pop, he serves lots of people in the whole area. Speaks only Spanish, 809 727 9256.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
If its an Electric , see if you are getting Electricity AT the Heating Elements . If its 220, both are HOT and the tank is the ground
Dont be afraid.. you can just use 2 bare wires from an old Lamp , touch ONE hot only the other to the frame of the tank. use gloves if you are hesitant .
just dont touch both of those hot wires at same time .. Of course a Volt meter is most handy and best . START THERE..
If you are not getting electricity there, then its an Electrical problem you need to backtrack to the panel, etc .
If you ARE getting electricity there, its the heating Elements, so at least you would know where you are at ..
Heating elements are very easy to replace, but more of a Plumbing issue , to make sure no leaks etc etc. you need the right watts also, probably 5K each , u should have 2 , top and bottom.
thats what I would do .

shunch

Nov 21, 2012

That is what my thoughts were. It ran hot for 2 mins then done. Our electrician has a few small things to do here. Should only have taken 2 hours at the most. It's been a flipping week! Was suppose to be here at 8 today. No show. Said was here but everyone was sleeping. Bs.. we set an alarm to ensure this gets done.
So frustrating.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
That is what my thoughts were. It ran hot for 2 mins then done. Our electrician has a few small things to do here. Should only have taken 2 hours at the most. It's been a flipping week! Was suppose to be here at 8 today. No show. Said was here but everyone was sleeping. Bs.. we set an alarm to ensure this gets done.
So frustrating.

I don't put up with the liars who always have excuses and show up with a broken screw driver and a piece of chewing gum on the back of a 10 year old pasola and claim to be an "electrician" .
Of course this is the kind of issue I can do do myself. I've installed, repaired or changed dozens of hot water tanks. Find a gringo friend with a volt/ohm meter and a construction background.
If cold water comes out of all the hot water faucets there is probably no plumbing issue unless he mixed up the pipes - not likely.
I'm not volunteering mind you besides I'm in Oregon for the Holidays and the college football hoopla all in High Definition.
However all single young divorces rocking the Caribbean with a trust fund can PM me to come check their plumbing. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
You are NOT going to see 220 at the heating element ..
Its never 220, its 2 LEGS of 110 added together
again, check each Wire at the heating element, if one wire is DEAD and one is LIVE then you have your answer
but I dont see how ANY electrician could just leave one wire DISCONNECTED completely, but it certainly is possible , if someone is completely clueless.

shunch

Nov 21, 2012
You are NOT going to see 220 at the heating element ..
Its never 220, its 2 LEGS of 110 added together
again, check each Wire at the heating element, if one wire is DEAD and one is LIVE then you have your answer
but I dont see how ANY electrician could just leave one wire DISCONNECTED completely, but it certainly is possible , if someone is completely clueless.

My god I wouldn't put it past him. Lol