I think we all saw this one coming...

Jan 7, 2016
Metro falling apart

The government?s most ambitious transport system is deteriorating and the lack of maintenance of the Metro stations in Santo Domingo is affecting the public service, according to a report in Listin Diario on Monday, 2 January 2017.

The Metro system cost millions, and the extension to the second line recently received a loan of 124,400,000 euros, but the metal structures are rusting, some of the elevators and the escalators do not work and the bathrooms are dirty and in a poor state.

The floors are stained, paint is peeling off and even the signage to identify the stations is deteriorating. In 60% of the 30 Metro stations on lines one and two, there are lighting problems as the ceiling lamps are broken.

The deterioration is most noticeable in the stations of the second line, the newest part of the public transport system.

http://www.listindiario.com/la-repub...tran-deterioro

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Metro falling apart

The government’s most ambitious transport system is deteriorating and the lack of maintenance of the Metro stations in Santo Domingo is affecting the public service, according to a report in Listin Diario on Monday, 2 January 2017.

The Metro system cost millions, and the extension to the second line recently received a loan of 124,400,000 euros, but the metal structures are rusting, some of the elevators and the escalators do not work and the bathrooms are dirty and in a poor state.

The floors are stained, paint is peeling off and even the signage to identify the stations is deteriorating. In 60% of the 30 Metro stations on lines one and two, there are lighting problems as the ceiling lamps are broken.

The deterioration is most noticeable in the stations of the second line, the newest part of the public transport system.

Nothing that wasn't wrote about or predicted here on DR1.

Jan 7, 2016
Projects like the Metro in the D.R., is equivalent to giving a new toy to a two year old and then wondering why it's broken in 4 places and un-usable...Another example of this misuse, is the present condition of the Autopista del Coral. 2 out of 3 of the lane reflectors are either broken or missing completely and no attempt has been made to replace or repair them. Guard rails are missing or mangled. This country thrives on mis-management.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Metro falling apart

The government’s most ambitious transport system is deteriorating and the lack of maintenance of the Metro stations in Santo Domingo is affecting the public service, according to a report in Listin Diario on Monday, 2 January 2017.

don?t be too quick to put a negative spin on the state of affairs. i am sure PICHARDO will join the thread at some convenient juncture, attempting to reassure all who will listen that the deterioration was planned, and will make the service better.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Projects like the Metro in the D.R., is equivalent to giving a new toy to a two year old and then wondering why it's broken in 4 places and un-usable...Another example of this misuse, is the present condition of the Autopista del Coral. 2 out of 3 of the lane reflectors are either broken or missing completely and no attempt has been made to replace or repair them. Guard rails are missing or mangled. This country thrives on mis-management.

there is a simple component to the current state of affairs which explains it all....these guys here have no clue about what they were getting into. they think a railway system is like a car, and it can be serviced by shade tree mechanics. *they did not realize that there are no simple repairs on these things. i remember in the mid 2000s when they fixed a section of the number 2 elevated line in the Bronx. the job took years, and cost untold millions. that is with the best maintenance crews in the country doing the work. those Alstom trains have had derailment issues, and i shudder to think what might happen if one jumps off the tracks.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Guess I better invest in better eyeglasses. As a Metro rider I have not noticed the so called deterioration. Those who have commented when was the last time you rode the Metro?

If the bathrooms are dirty I would never know because I have never seen a public rest room at any Metro Station. So if they are dirty only the employees could confirm.

I agree there is a broken elevator here or there but I have yet to see one out of service for more than a week.

As with all things written in the newspapers of la rep dom I don't take the articles as the gospel truth.

I would like to read some comments from those who ride the Metro concerning which stations you have seen any of the problems listed in the news articles.

I am sure some of you North Coasters have telescopes and can spot the deterioration a mile away.

Not sure where the stained floors are because the floors I see are continually mopped and clean enough to eat off of.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I don't believe that they didn't know that this would have happened. They were probably more concerned with lining their pockets with the sobornos. Short term, self-interest, egoist idiots. When all hell breaks loose, all the politicos have their money and visas in hand with a country to flee to if necessary. Nothing new here, same old story, different day. Hopefully one day the people will wake up and do something about it.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@ OP, is the link to the article down? I get this message when I try to access the article.

404 - File or directory not found.

The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It used to work..

Nothing that wasn't wrote about or predicted here on DR1.

If you go back to my negative comments to PICHARDO at the start of this fiasco, my very negative comments included a discussion on the topic that in a few years time people will be saying, "It used to work", just like so many other things in the DR.

How long will it be until it is unusable due to a lack of proper maintenance and poor construction techniques? Of course, with my long range vision from the North Coast, I could be wrong and everything is being kept up immaculately.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
If you go back to my negative comments to PICHARDO at the start of this fiasco, my very negative comments included a discussion on the topic that in a few years time people will be saying, "It used to work", just like so many other things in the DR.

How long will it be until it is unusable due to a lack of proper maintenance and poor construction techniques? Of course, with my long range vision from the North Coast, I could be wrong and everything is being kept up immaculately.

Still does, and standing room only. I am sure you noticed that on your last ride on the Metro.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Still does, and standing room only. I am sure you noticed that on your last ride on the Metro.

I hate Santo Domingo. It is very possible I will never ride the Metro there. I prefer to make my comments from afar.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I hate Santo Domingo. It is very possible I will never ride the Metro there. I prefer to make my comments from afar.

No problem with that as I hate the North Coast. Only thing I think people should have first hand knowledge of things before being critical. Surely you don't believe everything you read in the newspapers of la rep dom. A few years ago a similar article was written mainly concerning one station on Gomez.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
No problem with that as I hate the North Coast. Only thing I think people should have first hand knowledge of things before being critical. Surely you don't believe everything you read in the newspapers of la rep dom. A few years ago a similar article was written mainly concerning one station on Gomez.

Of course there is mis-information, dis-information and fake news everywhere today.
Regarding the Metro, I do expect the time will come when it is correct to say, "I told you so."

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

bigbird, one of the things that informs my opinion of the metro is a report i read somewhere that Bombardier was the first set of engineers that the DR approached to do the job, and that they requested a certain amount of time to do studies for the construction. Leonel wanted it done in time for elections, and told Bombardier to walk. the thinking is that corners had to have been cut to finish it within the required time frame.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I wouldn't give an opinion on this because I just don't know the truth, but I would prefer to take the word of a regular user than a non-user.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Of course there is mis-information, dis-information and fake news everywhere today.
Regarding the Metro, I do expect the time will come when it is correct to say, "I told you so."

Maybe yes, maybe no. I have always took a stand that those who have nothing but bad news to report about the Metro are those who have never ridden the Metro. Each and every time I ride the Metro I am in awe at how this little so called third world country pulled this major project off.

I have traveled on Line 1 and Line 2 from beginning to end so many times I have lost count. I have never felt unsafe, never saw trash or garbage strewn all over the place, never met a rude employee, and my list of positives goes on. I say this from one who uses the Metro.

I can travel in A/C comfort for miles for less than the cost of a carro publico.

Long live the Metro................

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
bigbird, one of the things that informs my opinion of the metro is a report i read somewhere that Bombardier was the first set of engineers that the DR approached to do the job, and that they requested a certain amount of time to do studies for the construction. Leonel wanted it done in time for elections, and told Bombardier to walk. the thinking is that corners had to have been cut to finish it within the required time frame.

se?or gorgon, I say the same to you. Ride the Metro and then let's see what you have to say. There are zillions of very happy Dominicans riding the Metro everyday and loving it.

I don't know the numbers but the Metro has provided a lot of jobs. Santo Domingo is a MESS to get around in and the Metro helps to ease the congestion. I often wonder how much worse traffic would be if all the Metro riders were above ground.

You ever come to SD the ride is on me.................... (presidente on you)

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Thanks for the working link MiamiDRGuy. Why did I already know if a photo was included in the article it would be of the Mama Tingo station. Heck you could paint the exterior every week and it would still show dirt from the pollution of the cars that transverse below.

Actually I found the article quite amusing. The stations show signs of wear with the paint. LOL, Line 1 opened seven years ago. A light bulb burns out so journalism says damaged lighting fixtures.

I had my laugh for the day ......................