Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Only in the DR

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    The 51 year old lady was indeed lucky that the surgery was performed without upfront payment.

A close friend had a heart attack in Santo Domingo and the "doctors" were waiting for the money before they would do the lfe saving surgery. He died before the family could come up with the money.

It was very emotional for me to go to the funeral, money is more important then life to some of these "doctors".
    My mother had an stoke we took to a clinic where they didnt acept the medical insurance we have, the did everything in emergency, the bill was almost 3,000.00 pesos for emergency and didnt put her in a room until we desposit 20,000.00 pesos. The bill for one day and a half was 36,000.00 pesos. So she was very lucky after all, she just has to try to get the money and pay. Thats is why every time I travel i buy a medical insance thats cover emergencies.

3. Likes cbmitch9 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoDR View Post
    The 51 year old lady was indeed lucky that the surgery was performed without upfront payment.
    Couldn't agree more. By law, public and private hospitals/clinics are required to give her first aid to save her life but after that, they're free to ship her off to a public hospital. If she leaves, how can they be sure she'll pay them back? It's a sad situation but most private hospitals I've had contact with work this way. One wouldn't even release a cadaver until the bill was paid.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The sad part is that the public hospital had no place, but do we need to expect from a private hospital to work free of charge? You do it once and the place will be loaded with free loaders.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    The sad part is that the public hospital had no place, but do we need to expect from a private hospital to work free of charge? You do it once and the place will be loaded with free loaders.

You're absolutely right, but you can't get blood from a stone. I think there's a distinction between an emergency and a choice/preference to be in a clinic. *I wonder how long they will keep her there if no money is forthcoming?

Admin
    DR1.com

7. Likes Mauricio liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KateP View Post
    One wouldn't even release a cadaver until the bill was paid.
    Years ago my brother-in-law was in the hospital dying. My wife said her mother was going to the hospital to get her son and bring him home. I asked why.

She told me that if he dies in the hospital, they would have to pay get get the body back. They brought him back in a taxi so he would die at home. Which he did.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats is why every time I travel i buy a medical insance thats cover emergencies.

Where do you get this and how much does it cost?

I think that it would be useful to many of us here.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

jd jones said it: health insurance is of high importance here, especially as one gets older and sicker.

and maurico summed it up too: private hospital is a business, they do what they can to assure that they can recuperate as much money as possible.

it is what it is.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Happy ending for the holidays*

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast