Hospital Nightmare

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
51 yr old poor woman had a stroke. Ambulance took her to public (free) hospital, but they wouldn't admit her because they were full. Ambulance took her to a private clinic, where she was treated, operated on, etc. Time to leave, and she has no way to pay the 179,000 peso bill. So....she's kept captive in the clinic. No medicines, no treatment, will not allow her to leave or transfer to another facility, etc. An impasse.

http://www.cdn.com.do/noticias/naci...en-clinica-piden-ayuda/#.WGu0cgvJQq0.facebook

http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2017/01/03/clinica-retiene-paciente-vega-por-pagar-cuenta

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
I would say its a new low but there will be a new low by the end of the week. What's next ? Torturing her with plyers and a blow torch until she pays up. Ah yes, this must be some new advanced cutting edge medical protocol we are not aware of in Europe and the U.S

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I might feel differently if she had chosen the clinic, but she went to the free hospital first. She had no alternative. Stories like this make me very grateful to have been born in Manhattan instead of Santo Domingo.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
In the U.S all State certified emergency / trama centers are required by law to treat anyone that enters. Even if its minor. AND withholding medications, like they did in this case, Doctors, nurses and staff would lose their license if they didn't get arrested.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
This poor woman will never be the same. There are medications available now that strongly reduce the *catastrophic effects of a stroke if they are given early on. Hope she is able to see her way through this.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Looks like I opened a door with my post about being born in Manhattan.

Back to DR only please.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I can't imagine it happening any other way here.

She was lucky to be treated, might have saved her life.

The property I live on was originally sold to pay a medical bill..... eons ago ...I am the 3rd owner.
Uno viejo lost eye fixing a fence.... huge bill in the USA necessitated raising cash.
He's still alive -- about 85 yrs old.
Can't speak, bano, useless now-- but breathing

His family is happy

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The 51 year old lady was indeed lucky that the surgery was performed without upfront payment.

A close friend had a heart attack in Santo Domingo and the "doctors" were waiting for the money before they would do the l?fe saving surgery. He died before the family could come up with the money.

It was very emotional for me to go to the funeral, money is more important then life to some of these "doctors".

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Once, I was sick in San Francisco (CA)...
the hotel sent me to the hospital, emergency.

At Admissions, the lady in front of me had an outstanding bill....
they refused her.

Same rules apply in RD as USA from what I know (very little)

a Dominican lady was living in my spare apartment some years back, and became ill one night. i took her to Montefiore, and *they prescribed some medicine for a stomach condition. they sent the bill to her, in care of my address. she stiffed them, and they filed a suit against me. i got my attorney to let them know she was my tenant, and he was going to sue them for harrassment. had the bill been mine, those guys would probably have liened my house. DR, PR, anywhere, they want their money. it is no different here than anywhere else

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I guess most of you missed the escapade with the national hero Caama?o not too long ago. He was bounced around the city like the ball in a pinball machine until he finally bit the dust.

The first thing one must concentrate on having here is medical insurance.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
The 51 year old lady was indeed lucky that the surgery was performed without upfront payment.

A close friend had a heart attack in Santo Domingo and the "doctors" were waiting for the money before they would do the l?fe saving surgery. He died before the family could come up with the money.

It was very emotional for me to go to the funeral, money is more important then life to some of these "doctors".

My mother had an stoke we took to a clinic where they didnt acept the medical insurance we have, the did everything in emergency, the bill was almost 3,000.00 pesos for emergency and didnt put her in a room until we desposit 20,000.00 pesos. The bill for one day and a half was 36,000.00 pesos. So she was very lucky after all, she just has to try to get the money and pay. Thats is why every time I travel i buy a medical insance thats cover emergencies.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004

Couldn't agree more. By law, public and private hospitals/clinics are required to give her first aid to save her life but after that, they're free to ship her off to a public hospital. If she leaves, how can they be sure she'll pay them back? It's a sad situation but most private hospitals I've had contact with work this way. One wouldn't even release a cadaver until the bill was paid.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The sad part is that the public hospital had no place, but do we need to expect from a private hospital to work free of charge? You do it once and the place will be loaded with free loaders.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The sad part is that the public hospital had no place, but do we need to expect from a private hospital to work free of charge? You do it once and the place will be loaded with free loaders.

You're absolutely right, but you can't get blood from a stone. I think there's a distinction between an emergency and a choice/preference to be in a clinic. *I wonder how long they will keep her there if no money is forthcoming?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
One wouldn't even release a cadaver until the bill was paid.
Years ago my brother-in-law was in the hospital dying. My wife said her mother was going to the hospital to get her son and bring him home. I asked why.

She told me that if he dies in the hospital, they would have to pay get get the body back. They brought him back in a taxi so he would die at home. Which he did.

Aug 6, 2006
Thats is why every time I travel i buy a medical insance thats cover emergencies.

Where do you get this and how much does it cost?

I think that it would be useful to many of us here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
jd jones said it: health insurance is of high importance here, especially as one gets older and sicker.

and maurico summed it up too: private hospital is a business, they do what they can to assure that they can recuperate as much money as possible.

it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.