Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Hospital Nightmare

51 yr old poor woman had a stroke. Ambulance took her to public (free) hospital, but they wouldn't admit her because they were full. Ambulance took her to a private clinic, where she was treated, operated on, etc. Time to leave, and she has no way to pay the 179,000 peso bill. So....she's kept captive in the clinic. No medicines, no treatment, will not allow her to leave or transfer to another facility, etc. An impasse.

http://www.cdn.com.do/noticias/nacio...vJQq0.facebook

http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2017/01/0...r-pagar-cuenta

Administrator
    DR1.com

I love Hillary!
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say its a new low but there will be a new low by the end of the week. What's next ? Torturing her with plyers and a blow torch until she pays up. Ah yes, this must be some new advanced cutting edge medical protocol we are not aware of in Europe and the U.S

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

I might feel differently if she had chosen the clinic, but she went to the free hospital first. She had no alternative. Stories like this make me very grateful to have been born in Manhattan instead of Santo Domingo.

Administrator
    DR1.com

4. Likes irishpaddy liked this post
    I love Hillary!
    Post Thanks / Like

In the U.S all State certified emergency / trama centers are required by law to treat anyone that enters. Even if its minor. AND withholding medications, like they did in this case, Doctors, nurses and staff would lose their license if they didn't get arrested.

6. Likes Bronxboy, jinty05, irishpaddy liked this post
    I love Hillary!
    Post Thanks / Like

This poor woman will never be the same. There are medications available now that strongly reduce the *catastrophic effects of a stroke if they are given early on. Hope she is able to see her way through this.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I opened a door with my post about being born in Manhattan.

Back to DR only please.

Administrator
    DR1.com

9. Likes Bronxboy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine it happening any other way here.

She was lucky to be treated, might have saved her life.

The property I live on was originally sold to pay a medical bill..... eons ago ...I am the 3rd owner.
    Uno viejo lost eye fixing a fence.... huge bill in the USA necessitated raising cash.
    He's still alive -- about 85 yrs old.
    Can't speak, bano, useless now-- but breathing

His family is happy

11. Likes KateP liked this post
    Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

The 51 year old lady was indeed lucky that the surgery was performed without upfront payment.

A close friend had a heart attack in Santo Domingo and the "doctors" were waiting for the money before they would do the l¡fe saving surgery. He died before the family could come up with the money.

It was very emotional for me to go to the funeral, money is more important then life to some of these "doctors".

Stay Calm, The Moderator is Here

13. Likes KateP, Frank the Tank, irishpaddy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Once, I was sick in San Francisco (CA)...
    the hotel sent me to the hospital, emergency.

At Admissions, the lady in front of me had an outstanding bill....
    they refused her.

Same rules apply in RD as USA from what I know (very little)
    a Dominican lady was living in my spare apartment some years back, and became ill one night. i took her to Montefiore, and *they prescribed some medicine for a stomach condition. they sent the bill to her, in care of my address. she stiffed them, and they filed a suit against me. i got my attorney to let them know she was my tenant, and he was going to sue them for harrassment. had the bill been mine, those guys would probably have liened my house. DR, PR, anywhere, they want their money. it is no different here than anywhere else

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess most of you missed the escapade with the national hero Caamaño not too long ago. He was bounced around the city like the ball in a pinball machine until he finally bit the dust.

The first thing one must concentrate on having here is medical insurance.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast