Pay Close Attention to Your Bills Sosua!!

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
Pay very close attention when paying bills at restaurants and bars around Sosua!! In the past couple of weeks I have seen 3 occasions, all in different places where the staff recorded a different total at the bottom of the bill than what the math would have added up to!

Restaurant - bill actual $1600RD approx., recorded total $2450RD!
Disco #1 - bill actual $5700RD, recorded total $6400RD!
Disco #2 - bill actual $4700, recorded total $5200RD!

Mistakes happen but this many times in such a short period?? Buyer beware and check those bills closely.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
It has happened to me before as well, the worst case being 1,600 pesos over a few months ago on a 3,800 peso bill, at a very well known Pedro Clisante locale, but I questioned it to the one who added the ticket (i waited till the owner walked in the back). I know the girl, she knows me, and I did not want her to get scolded or fired. I write it off to bad math, due to an education system in the DR to maintain people as "barely literate" and addition is one of the subjects they don't excel.

Maybe I am being naive and that it is not a Sosua conspiracy to gouge ? If you are with a Dominican they check their bill to the peso.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Pay very close attention when paying bills at restaurants and bars around Sosua!! In the past couple of weeks I have seen 3 occasions, all in different places where the staff recorded a different total at the bottom of the bill than what the math would have added up to!

Restaurant - bill actual $1600RD approx., recorded total $2450RD!
Disco #1 - bill actual $5700RD, recorded total $6400RD!
Disco #2 - bill actual $4700, recorded total $5200RD!

Mistakes happen but this many times in such a short period?? Buyer beware and check those bills closely.

the odd thing is that the arithmetic errors are never in your favor

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
All my friends used to ridicule me for checking the bill...........

unitl i uncovered an extra plate on the order.
happens all the time , all over the world.

Naive to think it's localized.

Restaurants, car dealers, doctors/hospitals.... you name it............ check it.

My father was sick once.
All his doctor pals visited.
He noticed they signed the chart....= $$$$$$$$$$

Thanks but no thanks

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
NYC ain't no different BB

and plenty of others......

usually depends on the patron..... see one, play one
that may be the case here

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
All my friends used to ridicule me for checking the bill...........

unitl i uncovered an extra plate on the order.
happens all the time , all over the world.

Naive to think it's localized.

Restaurants, car dealers, doctors/hospitals.... you name it............ check it.

My father was sick once.
All his doctor pals visited.
He noticed they signed the chart....= $$$$$$$$$$

Thanks but no thanks

if you go into most bars, after the third drink they start padding the bill. they figure you are well on your way to becoming hammered, and won?t be able to detect the add on drinks.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Add the extra water to the alcohol as well at this point as well!!! :)

that is about the time the barmaid reaches for the supermarket brand vodka, and stops pouring the Chiroc.

went into El Bohen one night around 2005, and ordered an Absolut and tonic. i caught the barmaid pouring some of that vodka they make on Avenida Colon. i told the waiter i did not want it. he said i ordered it, and i had to pay. i told him to call the cops to resolve the matter. he told me to leave, and they banned me from coming back in the joint.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
When ordering bottle service, I always, always ask to open the bottle myself!!!!

EVERYWHERE!!!!!!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
that is about the time the barmaid reaches for the supermarket brand vodka, and stops pouring the Chiroc.

went into El Bohen one night around 2005, and ordered an Absolut and tonic. i caught the barmaid pouring some of that vodka they make on Avenida Colon. i told the waiter i did not want it. he said i ordered it, and i had to pay. i told him to call the cops to resolve the matter. he told me to leave, and they banned me from coming back in the joint.
And your reply should have been 'I've been thrown out of better establishments than this one".
We heavy drinkers have to be careful.
I wake up with the shakes for hours every morning. Thank God I do, because it's the only exercise I get.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
And your reply should have been 'I've been thrown out of better establishments than this one".
We heavy drinkers have to be careful.
I wake up with the shakes for hours every morning. Thank God I do, because it's the only exercise I get.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

actually, chico bill, that is exactly what it was.

mexi

Dec 9, 2014
I agree, you have to pay atten... They will rip you off even, esp when they think you are a Gringo that don't know nada.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Is that a new bottle or a premium one filled with the rot-gut ?

New bottle.

Be wary when ordering a bottle. They love to open it for you. The one they might be opening might be watered down.............

Just saying.....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Maybe I am being naive and that it is not a Sosua conspiracy to gouge ? If you are with a Dominican they check their bill to the peso.

yep. even the wealthy doms don the glasses and check the bill thoroughly. i do too, everywhere. not isolated to sosua at all.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
New bottle.

Be wary when ordering a bottle. They love to open it for you. The one they might be opening might be watered down.............

Just saying.....

you are a man after my own heart, as they say. if i order a bottle, and it comes to my table opened, they can take it right back where it came from.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
I have had a few disputes over the years in Sosua over money. None have been over the restaurant bill.