Other internet providers in Puerto Plata

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Claro has refused to increase my internet speed without proving that I have income from the US!
Despite the fact that I have been a customer for over 25 years. And own a home.
What might be my options?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Claro has refused to increase my internet speed without proving that I have income from the US!
Despite the fact that I have been a customer for over 25 years. And own a home.
What might be my options?

I paid a tech to upgrade the router and increase the speed at my girlfriend's house. Cost $2000 for his pocket, plus the normal Claro cost for the router. Her factura went up a couple hundred pesos per month but now she can watch Netflix and surf the internet at the same time.
Of course the tech lived next door and is constantly there with his Claro truck parked 6 hours a day. I guess his work load is light or he's the worst employee in the DR, but he fixed her problem.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
What Bill said is the way to go with Claro. Just approach a tech guy with money for him to make this happen. Tell him what you need, if he won't do it try another.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Is there a CableTV/Internet provider in that area? I cut Claro off when they decreased my speed and told me they could not provide more speed (i.e. the speed I had for years up to that point) because I was too far from the central station. Neither I nor the central station had moved. Dumbest company I ever tried to use.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Is there a CableTV/Internet provider in that area?

That is, indeed, the question windeguy. I was hoping to find that out, particularly for Costambar.
Cheating Claro, while it might be doable, is not something I wish to do.
I checked in town at Orange, but they had no idea.
Are there any other providers that I can check out?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what speed do you have now?

there is a limit on speed in costambar area as we do not have fiber optics here. we have 10 mega and that's as high as they go, apparently.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
what speed do you have now?

I had 10 Mbps until I left in May, whereupon I had the 'package' (Internet + phone) dropped to the lowest level.
Today I went to Claro to restore back to my original 10 Mbps speed.
I was told by a supervisor that I needed to prove financial viability before they would restore my speed!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I had 10 Mbps until I left in May, whereupon I had the 'package' (Internet + phone) dropped to the lowest level.
Today I went to Claro to restore back to my original 10 Mbps speed.
I was told by a supervisor that I needed to prove financial viability before they would restore my speed!

when i originally appplied for Claro internet, i had to produce a document from the department of social security in the US which stated that i actually receive a monthly benefit. with that, they provided me with service. i wanted to up my speed , which would be a bit more costly. now they wanted me to provide them with a document to prove income. i told them i already gave it to them in order to get service in the first place.

they demanded i give them another copy.

remember where you are.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
A case of gringo discrimination I think. *We have had Claro, Sky and now Viva, and have never been asked for proof of income. *All three asked for a credit card for automatic billing, *and we said no. *Mr AE showed his cedula and that was that. *I find it odd, to say the least (but have no doubt that it's true).*

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
did you, at any point, stopped paying, when you were not here? it is a strange situation...

you could use wireless internet from your phone operator but i don't think the speed/capacity/price would be any good.

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
did you, at any point, stopped paying, when you were not here? it is a strange situation...

No problem with payments, dv8. In fact as of today, I still have a credit on my account.
The gorgon said it best "remember where you are".
I'm still searching for another provider and will report back. I have a friend here in Costambar who was using a wireless IP.
I'll check with him.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A case of gringo discrimination I think. *We have had Claro, Sky and now Viva, and have never been asked for proof of income. *All three asked for a credit card for automatic billing, *and we said no. *Mr AE showed his cedula and that was that. *I find it odd, to say the least (but have no doubt that it's true).*

AE, i had to provide Claro with the same document not twice, but three times. first time was to get wireless internet. they contracted with me to provide service, but it did not work. they then checked their map, only to discover that they had no service where i live. so, they had to cancel the contract, and provide me with wired internet. now they wanted another copy, which i gave them. then i had to give them one to upgrade the speed. all this despite the fact that i have never been a day late on their payments in 4 years.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Having dealt with Claro internet on both the North Coast and Punta Cana there is a world of difference in the two places. In PP like everyone said you need all kinds of crap to get an internet account, or anything else. Not so in the office at Veron in Punta Cana. Over there if you are a presentable looking gringo they ask where you work and take the phone number. Of course no one ever calls the number, but you get connected with no deposit.

At least that was the way it was for myself and two other friends of mine.

As far as raising speed, you just go in and tell them what you want and it is done.