Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: estate problem

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default estate problem

My problem is my mom in California died and left me some paintings and minor stuff getting it delivered is not a problem. First how do I handle customs declaration? and what will they charge me? What is the cheapest way to ship here? Any suggestions would be helpful.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

How could anyone tell you if don't give details? I would use some of the known shipping-Companies in Europe they mostly use fundaciones....for tax reasons, I paid for my whole interior, Chesterfields, Antique furniture, two tv's, 2 PS4 and several antique pantings only 9000 Pesos. So I would say look for a shipping company with Dominicans, best a Fundacion.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

IF you have a declared value then customs will agree or make up their own. You can have it appraised or roll the dice. Handling customs? I don't want to go their.

Cost is figured from an individual point of view. Wife and I moved all our stuff with antiques, fine crystal and art. What a waist of money and we will never be able to sell near what it would sell for in the US.

Advise? Sell it in the US and let it go.

4. Likes zoomzx11 liked this post
    Dislikes Fulano2, santa110xyz disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I would also just sell it unless there is something very sentimental. Look how much it is to import a car.....You can buy a Hyundai Santa Fe in the States for under 20,000US and to buy a used one here can be 35,000US for a 2015!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

That has nothing to do with some paintings and stuff...

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fulano2 View Post
    How could anyone tell you if don't give details? I would use some of the known shipping-Companies in Europe they mostly use fundaciones....for tax reasons, I paid for my whole interior, Chesterfields, Antique furniture, two tv's, 2 PS4 and several antique pantings only 9000 Pesos. So I would say look for a shipping company with Dominicans, best a Fundacion.
    could you please give me the name and contact details of the company or person you used. i am looking to ship from DR to Europe

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

depends on the m3 of stuff you have, you also can rent just a space within a container. you don't need to rent a whole container. paintings etc...just put the value. customs doesn't charge a lot for sentimental things or paintings, you put the value , let's say 100 US$ each, put used...that's it... customs here is just nasty with cars and electronics. these they can check value online.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

You need a mudanza..... from CA, I'm not sure.

NYC and Miami are full of them.
    They'll ship to your door.... no tax questions asked.
    But you'll need to get the articles to them in MIA/NYC

https://www.google.com.do/webhp?sour...anto%20domingo

Santa, call Hispaniola Freight (above) in Sto Domingo, Ask for Wendoline.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

What is was trying to point out and not well.

When we moved to the D.R. we brought everything. Including family art, furniture and whatever that date back several generations. As time moved on we realized that these pieces of family history are not ours alone but if possible be passed on to other generations.

Being that we are the only ones in the D.R. and having shipped all these items it is now a problem to get them into family hands in the U.S. and U.K. We KNOW that they are not going to move into our home here in the D.R.

So it is a slow process every time we go to the U.S. we have a little piece of our family history along with us to hand off to another generation with some wonderful history.

Bringing my family items/history here to the D.R. has IMO to be a very bad and selfish idea. Most of these items that have might have meaning will be forever lost.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I have storage...US (2), Canada.

Just handed off some family stuff at Christmas*
    One child buying in UK, another got married*

I dribble it out but it's very well received*

12. Dislikes DR Solar disliked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast