Looking for help!

JMJohnson

Jan 5, 2017
I have a friend who passed away in the DR from America on Dec. the 16th (I believe that was the date). The family has not shared any details and I am wondering if there is any news around an American man passing away around that time. He was 53 years old from Colorado, USA White Male I was just wondering if anyone local heard anything. I was recently told that they are investigating his death as either a murder or a suicide.

TIA

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Do you know where he lived in DR? *What was his name, we've covered a few deaths.*

Have you tried putting his name into the search engine here?

JMJohnson

Jan 5, 2017
His name was James Babylon and he was there on Holiday. I don't have any specifics except that he was in DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The name doesn't sound familiar to me, but perhaps our moderator dv8 will recognize it. *If it's being investigated, it was probably in the news.

It would be easier if you knew where he was on vacation, i.e. Punta Cana or Sos?a.*

JMJohnson

Jan 5, 2017
I know. I wish I knew more information. He has worked with a lot of non-profits in the past and did medical training for different groups. I believe he also worked with anti-human trafficking efforts but I'm not sure if that's what he was down there for. Everyone is completely puzzled. We were originally told he passed away in his sleep and then the FBI started contacting people asking questions. No one is sure what's going on at this point.*

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it seems like he has died of natural causes:
https://www.facebook.com/criout/?hc_ref=PAGES_TIMELINE
entry on 21st of december:
We are stunned and saddened by the sudden loss of our friend James Babylon. Jim had a huge heart and was dedicated to saving lives. He was a CRI Instructor and recently led our teams to the refugee crisis in Greece. He died in his sleep in the Dominican Republic on a trip doing what he loved to do; helping others. Jim you are loved and will be sorely missed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I know. I wish I knew more information.(...) We were originally told he passed away in his sleep and then the FBI started contacting people asking questions. No one is sure what's going on at this point.*

so this corresponds with the info i found so far...

it is difficult to track info about natural deaths of foreigners in DR. it does not really make it to national media but local news sites and blogs may mention it so it would be easier if you knew the location where he died.

in addition to that dominican media often misspells foreign names, even in the articles with pictures of documents of deceased that clearly display the info. sometimes the name may not be mentioned at all, just nationality.

finally, if there is an active investigation in this case, especially involving FBI it is possible that news about this particular death were not made public or the articles in local media were removed.

my condolences and sympathy on the passing of your friend. may he rest in peace.

JMJohnson

Jan 5, 2017
thank you everyone! I did read what was posted by CRI That information is incorrect after finding out they are investigating his death. He didn't pass in his sleep, we do that much. Hopefully something will be released soon. *