Dia de los reyes and wtf else

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
Well, F me running, I had NO idea the significance this holiday played in Latino culture. I was roundly pummeled for not giving a gift for baby brother (even tho I was there for xmas , and bought a pr of tennis,) I was astounded at the level at the level of extravagance which was bestowed upon these thankless bas$%#@ kids.
I got photos of what was presented under the xmas tree, and I had to do the SMH thing.
While I think I understand the culture somewhat, WHY IN THE NAME OF GOD can't you think of the future, whereby you may not be able to feed your family for the remainder of the month; whilst you buy an inflatable pool , and the most expensive bottle of whiskey, (which you will mix with apple juice), and party on the veranda for one night.?
I have given up trying to explain to gf the virtues of putting something aside for emergencies, as her family lives a "hand to mouth" existence.
I know I'm beating a dead horse' just venting

I got other subjects; trust me (tattoos).

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
You are wrong on that count. The word "no" is used so often, that she thinks it may be the name of her newborn.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Until relatively recently, there were no gifts on Christmas for children, the three kings brought them on January 6th. *It's a big deal there. *A friend of ours takes a census of every house in our campo, and they buy gifts for every child, he and his wife are Dominicans who came back to DR after retirement. *Our brother-in-law filled the back of his truck with gifts, and he, his wife and a couple of helpers, *drove the Ochoa-Constanza road handing them out. *

IMG_0301.JPG

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
huge noise and partying Friday night..........

like a cemetery last night.

Big deal that Jan 6...... HUGE

May 29, 2006
Lots of money spent on party clothes and cheap plastic toys that will last a couple days at best. I got the kids a bike chain tool and a fish tank net. They needed both. They were pretty excited about the net.

The other kids are going to wear the party clothes once or twice before they outgrow them. For the same kind of money, some of them could be going to school instead of doing nothing all day.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Europeans celebrate it as well.. Some parts of Europe Moms and Grandmothers would bake these Flat Bread things , what the Hungarians call L?ngos Bread...
And in it she would hide a New COIN in one of them, and whichever Child found the Coin would be King for the Day...
Luckily no one ever broke a tooth.. it was a lot of fun and one would get to spread some nice homemade Preserves made from Cherry or peaches or plums on it and enjoy with some nice tea .
. But thats all I really remember about the Holiday of Three Kings ..

May 29, 2006
Yes the children bookstores have done good business these days... Not

Printed books... how quaint! I'm gonna bring back some decent toys from the states. The kids make their own kites and many other toys from scraps of garbage. Boys are easier to shop for than the girls.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Europeans celebrate it as well.. Some parts of Europe Moms and Grandmothers would bake these Flat Bread things , what the Hungarians call L?ngos Bread...
And in it she would hide a New COIN in one of them, and whichever Child found the Coin would be King for the Day...
Luckily no one ever broke a tooth.. it was a lot of fun and one would get to spread some nice homemade Preserves made from Cherry or peaches or plums on it and enjoy with some nice tea .
. But thats all I really remember about the Holiday of Three Kings ..

Very big deal in Italy too, La Befana delivers the gifts. *She's an old crone/witch who met the three kings on their way to Bethlehem, but didn't join them, so she's still out there looking for them and delivering gifts to good boys and girls, on her broom. *

My AE fondly remembers putting out water and straw for the Kings' camels, when he was a boy in Santo Domingo.*

My mom always had a small gift for us on January 6th, she called it "Little Christmas ".*

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Printed books... how quaint! I'm gonna bring back some decent toys from the states. The kids make their own kites and many other toys from scraps of garbage. Boys are easier to shop for than the girls.

Totally agree. *I have five yr old twins, a boy and a girl. *Buying for girls here is impossible. *When you go down the girls toys aisle in the toy store you see a sea of pink plastic crap. *Nothing creative, nothing educational, just dolls and toy domestic appliances. *Girls are indoctrinated into their roles at a very early age here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i never buy any gifts for our nieces. they are spoiled little buttholes as it is. all i am willing to offer is my time and attention when i am there. they seem to appreciate it all the same.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Totally agree. *I have five yr old twins, a boy and a girl. *Buying for girls here is impossible. *When you go down the girls toys aisle in the toy store you see a sea of pink plastic crap. *Nothing creative, nothing educational, just dolls and toy domestic appliances. *Girls are indoctrinated into their roles at a very early age here.

you can never go wrong with riding toys for Dominican girls. they love tricycles and bicycles. every ten year old girl in the DR can ride a bicycle, just like every chica can ride a passola. it?s a logical progression.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Feast of the 3 Kings is when the 3 kings brought their gifts to the newborn baby Jesus....born and raised in a Catholic Irish/Polish home and neighborhood. Always found something in our shoes on Dec 5th from St. Nicholas, Christmas presents and on
the Feast of the three kings we were given THREE special gifts from our parents only! Usually a new rosary, a charm for
our charm bracelets we were given at birth (still have the charms) and a special toy. We looked forward to this celebration
we went to Church, had a nice breakfast, were given the gifts (and the tree was already down) Always one wrapped in
silver paper, gold colored paper and one in paper from paper bags....followed this tradition with my daughter who now
follows the same with her stepson.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Well, F me running, I had NO idea the significance this holiday played in Latino culture. I was roundly pummeled for not giving a gift for baby brother (even tho I was there for xmas , and bought a pr of tennis,) I was astounded at the level at the level of extravagance which was bestowed upon these thankless bas$%#@ kids.
I got photos of what was presented under the xmas tree, and I had to do the SMH thing.
While I think I understand the culture somewhat, WHY IN THE NAME OF GOD can't you think of the future, whereby you may not be able to feed your family for the remainder of the month; whilst you buy an inflatable pool , and the most expensive bottle of whiskey, (which you will mix with apple juice), and party on the veranda for one night.?
I have given up trying to explain to gf the virtues of putting something aside for emergencies, as her family lives a "hand to mouth" existence.
I know I'm beating a dead horse' just venting

I got other subjects; trust me (tattoos).

Are you from South Dakota.? The opening line Ive only heard in Montana and SD is why I ask.. anyway, what I find even more funny than three kings day in the DR is that it's a big deal in the USVI islands too if you can believe it.. Anything for a day off I guess.*