Ripped off at the petrol station

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
At the petrol station on the highway just west of Sosua, the one that used to be Shell.
I cannot believe I fell for this, I usually watch them like a hawk but this time I had my wife and friend in the car and we were all chatting and distracted. I asked for 1000 pesos, he put the nozzle in and then proceeded to wash the windscreen and rear window. Then he took the nozzle out and took my money plus a tip. As I started to pull away I saw that the gauge hadn't moved and was still pretty much on empty. I called over the attendant and showed him, then his supervisor came over and tried telling me that the gauge was stuck and that it would probably move once I was going!!

I was on my way to Puerto Plata and I had to stop again at Cangrejo to get petrol, the gauge moved as it was going in. I went back in to the petrol station on my way back to Sosua but these two jokers weren't there, my wife thinks it's just as well!!

Aug 21, 2007
Are you talking about the gas station that used to be Coastal? I go there. Always to the pump by the door of the store where the girl works. Never had a problem.

One day, I went to the pump nearest the road. I always put in 1,500 when the tank is on 1/4. They chatted me up while pumping. When I left, the guage was not full as it always is when I put in that amount. I returned. Talked to them. They put in 300 pesos more. Said that the pump may not be working correctly and they would have to have it checked.

Ever since, I continue to use the pump nearest the store door and have never had a problem.

My theory is that the pump nearest the street is where the motor conchos go. They often don't have money to pay, to the attendants top them off for free. It only takes one car to make up the difference of the day's loans. If the motor conchos pay back the loan in the future, it is money in the attendant's pocket.

Lindsey

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Are you talking about the gas station that used to be Coastal? I go there. Always to the pump by the door of the store where the girl works. Never had a problem.

One day, I went to the pump nearest the road. I always put in 1,500 when the tank is on 1/4. They chatted me up while pumping. When I left, the guage was not full as it always is when I put in that amount. I returned. Talked to them. They put in 300 pesos more. Said that the pump may not be working correctly and they would have to have it checked.

Ever since, I continue to use the pump nearest the store door and have never had a problem.

My theory is that the pump nearest the street is where the motor conchos go. They often don't have money to pay, to the attendants top them off for free. It only takes one car to make up the difference of the day's loans. If the motor conchos pay back the loan in the future, it is money in the attendant's pocket.

Lindsey

No, going from Sosua to Puerto Plata, the first gas station on your right, near the basket ball stadium.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I found that you have to get out of the car and watch them like a hawk at all gas stations.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
I get out of the car and stand next to the tank. I can here the fuel going in and can watch the pump. It's all you can do. If the pump is rigged. Oh well.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I only go to familiar places at home.
*On the road, I police them.... once in 8 yrs I have been screwed*

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
I always let my Dominican girl fren buy everything..............works good so far..........

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
It's so amazing how business owners in this country allow their staff to steal from clients, it's completely acceptable, maybe encouraged.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Both my wife and I experienced separated attempts of cheating at a Total pump in the capital. I tweeted about it and had a reply from Total within the hour. Asked for my phone number and called me to ask what actually happened and where and to apologize.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I think that the station that the OP is referring is now called Petronan, it used to be Shell.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
At the petrol station on the highway just west of Sosua, the one that used to be Shell.
I cannot believe I fell for this, I usually watch them like a hawk but this time I had my wife and friend in the car and we were all chatting and distracted. I asked for 1000 pesos, he put the nozzle in and then proceeded to wash the windscreen and rear window. Then he took the nozzle out and took my money plus a tip. As I started to pull away I saw that the gauge hadn't moved and was still pretty much on empty. I called over the attendant and showed him, then his supervisor came over and tried telling me that the gauge was stuck and that it would probably move once I was going!!

I was on my way to Puerto Plata and I had to stop again at Cangrejo to get petrol, the gauge moved as it was going in. I went back in to the petrol station on my way back to Sosua but these two jokers weren't there, my wife thinks it's just as well!!

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! I thought it was my gauge. Same story 3 days ago. Paid 2.000 Pesos and only get half of what I usually get.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Who is the owner of that place now?

And I did watch - the meter was reset on zero, and ended with 2.000 Pesos. But in fact the tank was half-full.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Sounds like you guys may need to buy some 5 Gallon Containers and just fill those and then dump into gas tank.. at least then you know for sure what you got when its full.

I wonder how they are doing it, tricking the Pump like that .

.. that just suxx

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
You don't have to live in Jarabacoa to avoid being ripped off at gas pumps. You do have to pay attention and make it clear to the attendants that you are paying attention. Since we are on this subject, I will make a public service announcement. At the moment the attendant begins to pump gas, be wary of anyone who approaches you because it's a common ploy to distract you long enough for an unscrupulous attendant to take advantage. The bootleg CD sellers and shoe shine boys that hang out at most filling stations are frequent participants. I recommend you wave them off without looking away from the attendant.
Glad I live in Jarabacoa. All the attentants always make sure I know the pump is on zero.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Is everyone "newbees" here? Ripped off at the gas station, restaurant, bar, grocery store, taxi, mototaxi and for little blue pills.

Just saying.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Is everyone "newbees" here? Ripped off at the gas station, restaurant, bar, grocery store, taxi, mototaxi and for little blue pills.

Just saying.

You forgot chicas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just saying.....

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
This is the gas station we are talking about in this thread. I went there just now and tried to talk to a supervisor. He did not care.

2who35u.jpg

wvbja0.jpg