Looking to move to DR, Jobs/ Housing Help Please

Enfuegodancer

Feb 26, 2002
Hello, My name is Jeremiah and I am thinking of a move to the DR (That abrieviation is new to me). I currently live in Portland, OR USA and love it deeply but I need a new place for a while. (Personal reasons) I have heard great and horrible things so I am not sure what to expect. I have traveled extensively through Europe and love getting to know new people and new cultures. One thing that I have been missing is the sun, its rains a lot here. I have studied spanish and want to finish and I have a love of latin cultures in particular (they have always tought me patients).
If anyone could help with a job idea I would greatly appreciate it, here are the areas I have some experience in.

6 years in leading life skills programs for teenages
Satelite, Audio and video installs
Event planning; golf tournaments, charity functions etc.
DJ ing
Web development
Knowledge of word, outlook, excel, publisher, adobe photoshop and illustrator, macromedia dreamweaver, firworks and flash.
Construction for a few years (also remodeled my house)

I am more than willing to try new things, I love new experiences.

About housing, I would like to live in Santiago. How much does a place cost there? I don't need anything fancy! Whats it like there?

I love to read, listen to bands, dance all night, study dance, play sports, can I get this fix here? Would I have to bring my own books or are there places to get books in english?

Thanks a million times for any help that you can give
Muchas gracias
Jj

deborah

Jan 15, 2002
Jeremiah- you sound as if you have a lot of skills that could be very useful here and sought after when looking for a job. I don't know what your reasons are for choosing Santiago, you must have some. the best reason would be if you know someone there. Life in Santiago is definitely less frenetic than in the capital. It would be wise to come with some savings until you find your feet..you know how that is. You are always ahead of the game here if you have some contacts, Dominicans open up very readily to personal recommendations... without that you have to sell yourself. I don't think you will have any problem.. with a good attitude and a lot of talent as you have. good luck.

Enfuegodancer

Feb 26, 2002
Thanks for the advice

Thanks for taking the time to and giving me some advice, I was worried no one would respond to my plea for help. Unfortunately I don't currently know anyone in Santiago or the DR. If you have any ideas on how I could begin that process I would very much appreciate the info. I ended a long term relationship 7 months ago and I want to move to a new place for a while (reason for moving), I have heard some good things about Caribbean culture and think it could be a good fit for me. Would you happen to know anything about the cost of living in Santiago? Again thanks for the help and any future help you might be able to give.
Hasta luego
Jj

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
You want to move here and you have never been here? I think you need to check it out before you decide to move. Can I ask how old you are? Are you selling a home...car...belongings to come here or just going to give it a try for a little while?
I think the best thing to do is to come on vacation here first..stay in a small local hotel...no resort and get the "flavor" of this country before making a move. And friends here are easy to find...come on vaca...meet a few people...stay in touch with them...then come here to live...
You can email me and we can talk more...

DRtechie

"everyday is a holiday"
Jan 27, 2002
phiota.net
Did you take a look in the business forum? I posted a link to a job bank in DR on that forum not too long ago. Check it out, it might be worth it.

Deborah is right though. Everything in DR revolves around personal contacts. I have tons of contacts in DR including some influential people on my fathers side but even then I am finding it difficult to find a job from the US. I am going back in a couple of weeks just to follow up on some leads.

good luck.

Enfuegodancer

Feb 26, 2002
Thank for some more feedback

I do believe its more of who you know than what you know, so thanks for making a connection. The more people I meet in these forums the more it will help. I think that coming down there for a week would be an excellent idea. I hope that I can make that happen soon. I am 27 and just want to continue getting to know the rest of the world. I wish you all the luck with your contacts. I have this belief that if I hold a picture in my mind of things working out they always will. Something similiar to the things I heard shared in this forum about the locals saying, '' No problem" all the time.

Thanks for the good thoughts, they are always needed
Jj