Budget, Batteries, Booze and more...

Doc203

Jan 12, 2017
My wife and I are considering coming to the DR for 6 months to see if it is somewhere we would want to move to or spend half of the year there and half in the states. We have read a ton of posts and articles but have a few specific questions and it seems, like anything else, some things you read lean way to the bad, and some read way to the good.

I am 45, she is 43. I own a software company in the US that I can run from anywhere that has good internet. I travel about once a month all across the states. My wife is a nurse but only works part-time and doesn't really need to work. We live in the country in a small farm town with about a 10,000 population and have lived here most all of our lives. While we enjoy nice things we are simple people.

Outside of our bills in the US we would have a USD $3000 to $5000 per month budget for living in the DR. Some of the requirements for us would be:

1) Good internet
2) Good electric, or the ability to purchase a generator to ensure electric and internet to run my company
3) A safe place to live, or generally safe. We understand crime is everywhere but would like to limit exposure to major crime
4) We could live in a condo, but would prefer something more secluded - but safe -and close to a beach
5) A place where we could find nice places to eat and have a few drinks
6) Reasonably Close to an international airport for my travel
6) A place with a good local market
7) Jose Cuervo

Where would be a good place to look for the above attributes?
How nice of an area can one live for USD $3000 to $5000?
Is it difficult to obtain a long term visa for such and adventure?
Are we just nuts or absolutely out of our minds?

Thanks for any advice!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Since you don't need to live in the capital and apparently aren't bringing any children *$3000 would be OK and $5000 would be very good.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would recommend Punta Cana, Bavaro for you. Claro Fiber Optic internet here. Up to 100 mg down and 10 up. 24 hour electric, private company. Many secure places to live. Beach very nice here. Your budget would be more than enough.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Budget is fine. *If I had the opportunity to do it over again (please Lord, let us sell our property), I'd look on the east or southeast coast. *Punta Cana has what you're looking for. *

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Where would be a good place to look for the above attributes?
How nice of an area can one live for USD $3000 to $5000?
Is it difficult to obtain a long term visa for such and adventure?
Are we just nuts or absolutely out of our minds?
Thanks for any advice!

I moved here completely ~3 years ago. On that budget you can live in Cap Cana or Tortuga Bay comfortably. Obtaining a visa in your case will simply take hiring the right lawyer and letting them do all the legwork.

We should all be so nuts...

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Out of order:
6. Airport: This means to me either the Sosua/Cabarete area or Punta Cana for proximity to flights to the U.S. I would have said Las Terenas if you were flying to Oh Canada.
1. & 2. Of course with a back up generator or solar of investor you could do either area. I've heard the power is better in PC. The internet can give headaches but is doable.
5. 7. 6. Market: both areas can work
3. 4. This is the difficult part, finding an area and community you are comfortable with. PC might be better, depends. Others can opine.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Come down and live a while..........only way to know for sure....travel around the island....you will know soon enought.......

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
You have been given good advice but I would say some of the answers depend on what types of things you and your wife like to do. Come down check out different areas and see where you fit in the best.
Personally I don't care for the eastern part of the Island because for the most part it is flat (If that is ok with you Juan Dolio might be good.
If neither of you speak Spanish then a place like Punta Cana, Juan Dolio or much of the north coast would be easier.

Good Luck and enjoy the adventure (what part of the states would you be coming from?)

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
First, welcome to DR1!

You've gotten really good advice thus far, from folks who live at least part of the year in the DR.

One of the best sources of information for your question is our "Living Costs in the Dominican Republic" thread which you can find here

Housing is the big variable, of course, but if you can live just a bit off the beach (say a five minute drive, tops) you'll find that $5k a month is plenty to live on the East Coast (which would likely be your best bet, given your desire for a beach and extensive travel needs).

Best of luck, and let us know how your adventure goes!

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
We are from Michigan, originally Detroit but then moved to Cheboygan, about 20 miles from the UP DO NOT MISS THE WEATHER! We have been here almost 6 years..Cheboygan is a city about the size you mentioned and part of the inland Michigan Waterway, we were fortunate to live on Mullet Lake until our move here...we moved 6 years ago, came with 6 50lb suitcases and two backpacks! Have not been back to the states since. We have no family back in the states so here we are. We lived in Sosua until I took a position as a principal in a bilingual school in Santiago. DON't MOVE TO SANTIAGO OR SANTO DOMINGO, the cities are crazy and noisy. We lived between Sosua and CAbarette in Perla Marina, a nice community with ocean condos, homes and of course just a short walk if you are not on the water....good supermarkets but the cost of living is higher than in the city. We originally fell in love with Punta Cana and are moving ourselves that way! I taught in Sosua so that afforded us a liveable income along with my husbands SS. We keep going to Punta Cana .....that is the ultimate place for us and it is affordable with your budget and if you don't speak Spanish it is ok in the PC area. We are presently looking for places there when I finish the school year....we will make our hopefully final move to Punta Cana. You can't beat the beaches and you have a nice budget. Good luck and welcome.....come with no expectations of it being like the states....come for the adventure which arises everyday!

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
It sounds like you are looking for a piece of the U.S.A. in the D.R. in which to live. You're doing it backwards. D.R. is a WHOLE DIFFERENT culture and country. Come immerse yourself for a bit and then decide what your priorities are going to be if you put down roots. For instance, when I first came here I lamented the fact that there was no steel drum music on this Caribbean island. Turns out Latin music can stir your soul pretty well.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Punta Cana would be my recommendation. As with AE if "I had to do it over again".... We are seriously looking at Punta Cana. Beautiful beaches, access to airport with flights to pretty much anywhere, less traffic, just a relaxing atmosphere in my opinion. After 20+ years in Santo Domingo it is time!!. Your budget is spot on for Punta Cana with many options. We have looked at condos in and around El Cortecito and Cap Cana and have been pleased with what is available. My advice...come and visit for a few months and "test the waters", maybe check out other areas as well. Then see what suites your lifestyle best. Happy adventures!!

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Come down and rent a place in PC and maybe Caberete. Both have condo's that fit your needs. Look around see what's here. I don't think you would like the City. Really crowed lots and lots of traffic. I've lived here for 10 years and I don't go there unless I have to. You'll find what your looking for, It just takes time. Don't jump at the first thing. It's nice here' but life here is not easy. Everything takes time, so you have to get used to it. It takes time to make friends here you can trust. Good luck.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Doc 203 , Everybody seems to focus on Punta Cana but the north coast between Sosua and Cabarete has a lot to offer. There are secure communities and the internet has just been upgraded to fibre for some . We live in Perla Marina and this is a beach side development that has most of the things you ask for :
1) Good internet - Fibre with Delancer
2) Good electric, or the ability to purchase a generator to ensure electric and internet to run my company -A circuit 24/7 but some scheduled outages.
3) A safe place to live, or generally safe. We understand crime is everywhere but would like to limit exposure to major crime
A Gated community with lots of trees and good security

4) We could live in a condo, but would prefer something more secluded - but safe -and close to a beach -we are 800 m from the beach and there is good beach access. Look at http://www.perla-marina.net/contact

5) A place where we could find nice places to eat and have a few drinks -great places in Perla Marina, Sosua and Cabarete .
6) Reasonably Close to an international airport for my travel - POP airport is 20 minutes from Perla Marina
7) A place with a good local market - there are good Supermarkets here but no open markets except for tourist stuff.

There are many people on the north coast that run an internet business - in fact there is a local facebook group for them you might like to look for.
One this you don't mention is Health Care - Sosua/Cabarete has CMC with full hospital faculties, Day Clinics to in Cabarete that are good. and POP with many hospitals.

We have lived here in Perla Marina for 11 years and never had any problems. Have a look - there are lots of places to rent !

All the best !
Olly

Last edited: