Electric blanket or hot water bottle

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Anyone know where you can buy these. I live in the mountains and despite 3 quilts it is freezing at night - not warm in the day either. I could really do with an electric blanket or failing that a hot water bottle, but never seen here.

Matilda

May 29, 2006
We have a heating pad I brought down for cold nights. You might find one at a box store. I've even used a paint stripper to warm up the bedroom when we've had cold wet patches.

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
For a quick homemade fix: Make some homemade rice heating pads. Put some uncooked rice into white socks, tie up the end and stick it in the microwave for one minute. Stays hot for a long time.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
I remember my grandmother heating "bricks" on the wood cook stove
in the kitchen. She would wrap with newspaper and slip them into the
beds (upstairs of course). That's telling my age...made for warm toes!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thanks everyone. Peter in Brat - you get cold wet patches in your bed? Or did you mean cold wet spells of weather? This is not a cold wet spell, this is winter and colder this year than ever and 2 months to go - at least. Derfish, if i heat a concrete block in the fogon will it not burn the bed? No newspaper in the campo to wrap it in!

Matilda

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Electric blankets found and in use. Controls unknown and missing since move was 20 years ago. Oh well.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Dogs not allowed on bed. Only chickens and they don't warm anything up except eggs.

Matilda

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Thanks everyone. Peter in Brat - you get cold wet patches in your bed? Or did you mean cold wet spells of weather? This is not a cold wet spell, this is winter and colder this year than ever and 2 months to go - at least. Derfish, if i heat a concrete block in the fogon will it not burn the bed? No newspaper in the campo to wrap it in!

Matilda

THat is what Grandma did years ago when I was a kid, not blocks, the red bricks, wrapped in a sheet or blanket.

May 29, 2006
Charcoal will work as long as the house isn't too airtight. The were still using charcoal space heaters when I was living in Japan many years ago.

May 29, 2006

Matilda

Cold wet weather. They canceled school for several days before Christmas break but they opened the last day so the kids could have their party. Along with the heating pad, I also brought down a paint stripper gun and we've used that to dry clothes a few times when it's been rainy.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
You need to be sly in cold times like these.

1. When wife says its bedtime. Let her go first.
2. Stay up surfing the Net for an xtra 15 mn.
3. Ignore wife's protests when u snuggle up to her.
4. Use persuasive advanced tactics to exchange side of the bed with her.
5. Voil? a nice warm bed with a human hot water bottle :) :) :)

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Pharmacies usually have hot water bottles, but they only last for 20-30 minutes or so. I'd say go to Sirena or Carrefour and buy some corchones. Carrefour has them on sale at the moment. (saw them yesterday)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dogs not allowed on bed. Only chickens and they don't warm anything up except eggs.

Matilda

Rules are made to be broken.

Dogs - an old dog sledders' trick....
works like a charm , they say

As in women/men, you should be fond of whatever/whomever is in bed with you..!!!!

Dogs are good.

We keep ours out of the house most times.....

UPDATE

Winter chill prevails nationwide
With lows of 18 degrees Celsius (64 degrees Fahrenheit) in the capital city and freezing temperatures in the mountains of Constanza, Dominicans have taken out their cold weather clothes and are enjoying the chilly weather. Weather forecaster Jean Suriel is forecasting even more chillier temperatures as of Wednesday, 18 January 2017 due to a cold weather moving down to the Caribbean from the United States.