TV service in Las Terrenas

VeraVineyard

Jan 15, 2017
What are the options for tv service in Las Terrenas? *Actually, I live in Barbacoa. *I can get the tv but don't know how to proceed with reception.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
TeleCable Las Terrenas, or Telenord, or maybe Claro TV. However if you have reliable internet (which I doubt, in La Barbacoa), you could go for Netflix only (I happily did!).

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
What are the options for tv service in Las Terrenas? *Actually, I live in Barbacoa. *I can get the tv but don't know how to proceed with reception.

I am not sure about Barbacoa but in LT you can get regular cable, Claro or Sky Satellite TV. Regular cable has few English Channels but is very inexpensive. I had Sky TV when I lived in LT. This company is out of Mexico and offers service throughout Central America and some Caribbean Countries. You would need to go on-line and call Sky Sat. Service. According to the web-site they have an office in Moca. Claro has a big store in Las Terrenas. I would go there and find out what they offer. Hopefully they will come out to your home and install a dish and receiver box attached to your TV. Find out what your neighbors are using and if you can ask them what they are using. Good luck and I hope you find a solution.

VeraVineyard

Jan 15, 2017
Thank you! *No, I don't have internet - I use a stick that I get juiced up at Claro. *Maybe I'll ask them about Tv service while I'm there.

VeraVineyard

Jan 15, 2017
Thank you Steve. *I'll check with my neighbors and see what they have. *I just don't want to have to sign a long term contract, as I am only there for a few months each year.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thank you Steve. *I'll check with my neighbors and see what they have. *I just don't want to have to sign a long term contract, as I am only there for a few months each year.

They will all require a long term contract, usually 18 months. As far as I know, the only company with pay as you go is Viva. *You do have a one time cost for dish and hardware, but after that you just prepay for the time you want. *We use it, because we're not in our home year round. *We paid about 10,000 pesos for the dish, hardware for two rooms, and all installation. * Works well for us, pay nothing when we're not there. *

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

That is the problem with most of the satellite providers in the DR. In the States you can suspend service for up to 6 months of the year. In the DR these companies will not let you suspend service and you have to pay for it month in and month out regardless if you are there or not. So I don't think satellite will fit your needs. As another poster said perhaps Viva would work for you.

VeraVineyard

Jan 15, 2017
I'm new to this site and not quite sure who I'm replying to, but I want to thank the people who suggested Viva, and please overlook if I already replied! *Let me just give a general shout out of thanks to all of you who have responded!