DR Toilets fix

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
DR Toilets
In know like most things here is Chinese garbage, but the coincidence in this one has me guessing.
I have 2 toilets that are identical ?CrestWare? brand see foto. The first one is in a bathroom directly above the other, the second on the floor (piso) below. Last month the top floor toilet started overflowing after the flush; it overfills and leaks on the floor eventually leaking to the one below thru the ceiling. I fixed it by replacing the float mechanism (rust colored part in the foto). It was a messy job due to the toilets proximity to the walls etc. Now a couple weeks later the toilet below it is doing the exact same thing. The challenge here, this toilet is even closer to the walls (because the Dominican Engineer goal was to make impossible to work on). What bugs me here is the coincidence of both having the same problem within weeks. Its almost like a virus that went from toilet one to toilet 2!
My question before tackling this; Has anyone experience this and found an easier fix? e.g. adjusting the float?
289k3n9.jpg

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
After time you get a build up of calcium in the cistern. *This can cause the sealing parts to fail. *Try adding some muriatic acid and let it stand for a while. *It might work.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Are you suggesting that the original plumber should have located the toilet in the middle of the room instead of against the wall?
I have always put them against the wall, as close as I can get them.
Der Fish

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Did you know you can take those apart and clean them without removing them from the tank?

Even though that is possible, they are so cheap and simple they beg to be changed when they start leaking.

The problems show up when an unqualified person installs them and tightens the holy daylights out of them. All of the related parts of this type of installation can be hand tightened only and will not leak.

In the OP's case, you have no choice other than pay somebody else to do it, or do it yourself and do it right so the next time isn't a pain in the butt.

I'm still puzzled about why the upstairs one started leaking on the floor.

Every toilet I've ever seen (including the one in the OP's picture) have an overflow tube that is lower than any hole in the tank where excess water goes to avoid getting the floor wet.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
Just buy a new Flushometer. They are not expensive. They fail after a few years and with the water here, it happenes all the time. Both were probably installed at the same time. The normal life span was up. you can try to clean them, but it is easier to replace it. It's not hard you just have to be able to stand on your hear.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Did you know you can take those apart and clean them without removing them from the tank?

Even though that is possible, they are so cheap and simple they beg to be changed when they start leaking.

The problems show up when an unqualified person installs them and tightens the holy daylights out of them. All of the related parts of this type of installation can be hand tightened only and will not leak.

In the OP's case, you have no choice other than pay somebody else to do it, or do it yourself and do it right so the next time isn't a pain in the butt.

I'm still puzzled about why the upstairs one started leaking on the floor.

Every toilet I've ever seen (including the one in the OP's picture) have an overflow tube that is lower than any hole in the tank where excess water goes to avoid getting the floor wet.

Is the hose you speak of, the one with the blue cap? if so i guess its not working well and i did not change that just the mechanism to the left. The one downstairs has the same setup and keeps overflowing

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
You guessed a virus and you are 100% correct. According to Field's Virology your toilets have been infected with "Legio, immaculatam ferro ferrum et plastic virus". There is a lot of technical information available, but I will skip right to the solution.

You will have to stop using the toilets, likely for several years. It is recommended that the older model 'OutHouse" be used instead. A quick google search will assist with the site planning and design. Rest assured that there have been many upgrades to the "OutHouse" model.
After several years you will be ready to replace the virus infected toilets with new models that carry the antibodies to prevent the virus from returning. I would recommend that you follow the manufacturer's instruction on installation and maintenance.
Best of luck

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
You guessed a virus and you are 100% correct. According to Field's Virology your toilets have been infected with "Legio, immaculatam ferro ferrum et plastic virus". There is a lot of technical information available, but I will skip right to the solution.

You will have to stop using the toilets, likely for several years. It is recommended that the older model 'OutHouse" be used instead. A quick google search will assist with the site planning and design. Rest assured that there have been many upgrades to the "OutHouse" model.
After several years you will be ready to replace the virus infected toilets with new models that carry the antibodies to prevent the virus from returning. I would recommend that you follow the manufacturer's instruction on installation and maintenance.
Best of luck

Ok, thats another option!!! But I think I will first clean the 'ball cock" before building an outhouse.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
un screw the arm and tank ball from the ball cock then un screw the top off the ball cock, quarter turn counter clockwise .

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Is the hose you speak of, the one with the blue cap? if so i guess its not working well and i did not change that just the mechanism to the left. The one downstairs has the same setup and keeps overflowing

Two separate mechanisms, each with their own unique function.

The mechanism you changed to the left is what controls the flow of water into the tank.

The white mechanism is what allows water to flow into the toilet to flush.

If the mechanism you changed does not work, water will keep flowing into the tank. Once the water level reaches the height of the overflow tube, it will run down that tube and into the toilet. It usually doesn't overflow onto the floor.

The mechanism on the right has a hinged flap at the bottom(the ballcock).

When you flush the toilet, that flap lifts up and lets the water drain into the toilet.

If the mechanism on the left is bad, you will hear water running all the time and you'll see a small flow of water going into the toilet.

If the flap (ballcock) is: bad/corroded/mineral buildup, you will see the same thing - water slowly running into the toilet.

Unless the top of the overflow tube is higher than the top of the tank, I don't see how it would leak onto the floor.

You need to examine it closely and see where the water is escaping the tank.

Last edited: