Think it's chilly now? Wait for the Polar Air!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i was looking for an excuse to try my first batch of croissants and what could be better than chilly temperature to help me out with the dough?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We're flying down on Saturday, until May, and I've packed an electric blanket for Matilda. She might be receiving it slightly used, lol!!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I can't take it lol! We are down to like 50 degrees F at night, have 3 quilts on bed. House designed for the heat so no sun comes in at all, like a barn so all open plan downstairs and walls don't reach the roof upstairs so the hot air can escape (and the cold air come in). We are in the clouds in the early morning, not just outside but in the bedroom too. And now polar air. Deep joy not.

Matilda

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
So , wait , y'all are saying I may need a long sleeve or even a jacket on the Beach this weekend ?
Are you guys joking , this aint funny.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So , wait , y'all are saying I may need a long sleeve or even a jacket on the Beach this weekend ?

At the very least!

I'm already planning on what I can bake/cook in the oven to heat up the house this weekend!

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
i was looking for an excuse to try my first batch of croissants and what could be better than chilly temperature to help me out with the dough?

yeast or no yeast?

take your time and don't cheat on the rest periods. use the technique of putting a hatch mark to remember how many times you folded. Let me know when they're done and I'll be right over.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Just got back from Kansas City Missouri where the temperature was minus 9 degrees when I got off the plane. I had my Dominican Father in Law with me who was making his first trip ever to the U.S. We both about died but especially him as he could never imagine cold like that. The wind was blowing and the cold cut right through our coats... I have to laugh every time a Dominican tells me how cold it is in the DR... there is no cold in the DR unless you're up in the mountains and I always answer "you don't know what cold is, come with me to the U.S. in the winter and I'll show you real cold". Of course they don't understand......

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I was in SD yesterday and it was noticeably cooler than Punta Cana, although we are using a blanket for the first time in the 8+ years we have lived here.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Just got back from Kansas City Missouri where the temperature was minus 9 degrees when I got off the plane. I had my Dominican Father in Law with me who was making his first trip ever to the U.S. We both about died but especially him as he could never imagine cold like that. The wind was blowing and the cold cut right through our coats... I have to laugh every time a Dominican tells me how cold it is in the DR... there is no cold in the DR unless you're up in the mountains and I always answer "you don't know what cold is, come with me to the U.S. in the winter and I'll show you real cold". Of course they don't understand......

I myself have introduced a total of 6 people to ice and snow over the years. It is always amusing to see someone who has said "Que Frio" to 70 degrees F all their life to see snow and ice outdoors for the first time!

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Reminds me when my wife joined me n Belgium after our marriage in 2004. The moment she left the AirPort in Amsterdam it started to snow. "Dios me da la bienvenida" she said. Must be amazing feeling snow the first time in your adult life.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014

You won't feel it. I still see tourists walking around in shorts and tank tops and going to the beach and in the water and all that stuff. But once one is physically acclimated to life here, yes, long sleeves and a jacket and skip the beach till at least May.