Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default duck recipes needed

i'm posting it in the living rather than off topic for two reasons:
    ducks in question were raised in a dominican campo and i am told they are tough;
    recipe needs to work locally available ingredients/spices.

long story short, i have several frozen ducks i want to serve on saturday (large group of people). all i know is my mom's recipe for roasted duck (rum with marjoram, salt and pepper then stuff with apples then bake for 2 hours) but i do not know whether it's gonna work with tough meat. should i roast it for longer? perhaps use pressure cooker?

i was also contemplating recipes using oranges, apple cider and wine. what do you guys recommend here? what local herbs will work well with duck meat? will these ducks cook to soft ever or should i abandon this plan altogether?

please help.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

If the local ducks are anything like the local chicken , pressure cooker for sure.

I always did duck in the fall shooting season in Canada.
    Long and slow, a la chivo.

Try cutting them in pieces and sort of a stew recipe.

Lots of humidity*

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I cant really help, sorry. .

Years ago, i built a small "compound " ( think hen house/living place ) with a pond.
    And raised some ducks.......
    Well I am used to rosť-to-raw duck breasts, sliced thin..... back home in france. I was disappointed. Tough as leather. I ate 3 then gave up.*
    And yes the only "edible" duck was the one my wife did in the pressure cooker. Just as she would cook*gallina vieja.

Hope your ducks are young and tender. Good luck !!!

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with WW. Use either a pressure cooker or a slow cooker for like 8-10 hours. I'd definitely incorporate honey and soy sauce into the recipe.

Administrator
    DR1.com

5. Likes Matilda, cobraboy liked this post
    On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I agree with WW. Use either a pressure cooker or a slow cooker for like 8-10 hours. I'd definitely incorporate honey and soy sauce into the recipe.
    well, let me make it unanimous, to this point...2 words

pressure cooker.

7. Likes bronzeallspice liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's one that sounds good, I might go a little longer than the 20 minutes under pressure that she recommends:

http://mochachocolatarita.blogspot.c...-glaze-my.html

Administrator
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Low and slow usually wins the race for tough meat. Try and find a slow cooker recipe for duck and tweak it with your own spices.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Oh man! How to ruin a good duck dinner. Sorry AE. I was a duck hunter and cooker for many years. (I now support nature and have not hunted for 40 years)

Lot's of fat so slow rotisserie would be the best with... a base of 1/4 cut potatoes, 1/4 cut onions and coarse chopped celery and under the drip from the duck. Oranges are wonderful with the juices dripped throughout the roasting process since it helps cuts the fat and adds flavor. A little Rosemary finally chopped as the duck turns. The best is what is below as that mixture works and use it to base the duck often since it will become dry otherwise.

Spoon off the top fat in the lower pan if possible so the vegy's in that pan are really great.

Remembering wild duck hunts in freezing weather and great meals that they provided. Great times and honored times. I now support the ducks.

Meat in a crock pot/slow cooker makes it a stew with flavor only from the herbs and really takes the flavor away. Take the time and honor your duck. lol

Moderator - Ladies Only & North West
    Post Thanks / Like

The best part of a duck is the crispy skin as if you puncture it there is a lot of fat underneath so it makes skin really nice and crispy. If I were slow cooking it I would take the skin off or there will be far too much fat. Take the skin off and the fat and make duck chicharrones as a side dish. I normally roast duck but def not campo ducks - slow cooker or pressure cooker is the way to go - almost like goat and dominican beef - cook for ages.

Matilda

12. Likes PeterInBrat liked this post
    On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR Solar View Post
    Oh man! How to ruin a good duck dinner. Sorry AE. I was a duck hunter and cooker for many years. (I now support nature and have not hunted for 40 years)

Lot's of fat so slow rotisserie would be the best with... a base of 1/4 cut potatoes, 1/4 cut onions and coarse chopped celery and under the drip from the duck. Oranges are wonderful with the juices dripped throughout the roasting process since it helps cuts the fat and adds flavor. A little Rosemary finally chopped as the duck turns. The best is what is below as that mixture works and use it to base the duck often since it will become dry otherwise.

Spoon off the top fat in the lower pan if possible so the vegy's in that pan are really great.

Remembering wild duck hunts in freezing weather and great meals that they provided. Great times and honored times. I now support the ducks.

Meat in a crock pot/slow cooker makes it a stew with flavor only from the herbs and really takes the flavor away. Take the time and honor your duck. lol
    at this point i know that you are expecting somebody to ask how many Dominican ducks you have cooked.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast