Best way to ship a drum set from Minnesota to Santo Domingo?

Moisés Romo

Jan 19, 2017
Hi all. I'm moving to Santo Domingo this Spring. I'm trying to find the most reasonable way to get my drum set from Minnesota to Santo Domingo. Any Suggestions are welcome. Please. Also, would it be cheaper to just buy a new drum set in Santo Domingo?

Moisés Romo

Jan 19, 2017
Thanks for the response. I heard that most packages mailed to the DR get stolen. Do you know if that's true or just a myth? Have you mailed large packages to the DR before?

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
Shipping from MN is atrocious. It might even be cheaper to buy a new set in DR.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I doubt your going to find a decent set of DW's in Santo Domingo.
It's worth investing in Anvil cases and stick them on your flight as baggage.
There are a few good hard plastic sets of cases on eBay right now.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
There are a couple of big music stores in Santo Domingo. They're near the Colonial Zone--but more up towards the overhead highway that snakes through the city (no idea the name of the area). I was last there 3 years ago buying amplifiers for the restaurant. Two music stores were situated on the same street. Big selection of equipment. They had drum sets there among everything else imaginable. One music store had two floors.

I would think it would be smarter to buy them here, but a phone call to either music store would answer that question.

Frank

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
The only cost effective way I could find from MPLS Minnesota, was to bring on airline as baggage...... baggage has a 50 pound limit per bag, and a size limit, how big are the drums?? as you bring more bags per visit the charge goes up each additional bag.......anyway I think you will buy in the D.R. What part of Minn?? are you coming from...oh and I checked with fed ex, ups, shipping people, the cost was always many times more than the items were worth.. on one trip from MPLS to Santiago. one bag was 52 pounds not the 50 allowed that was a extra $100 now or leave the bag..delta airlines has no sense of humor.........Doc..........

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
There are a couple of big music stores in Santo Domingo. They're near the Colonial Zone--but more up towards the overhead highway that snakes through the city (no idea the name of the area). I was last there 3 years ago buying amplifiers for the restaurant. Two music stores were situated on the same street. Big selection of equipment. They had drum sets there among everything else imaginable. One music store had two floors.

I would think it would be smarter to buy them here, but a phone call to either music store would answer that question.

Frank

The street would be 30 de marzo and the music stores are located from avenida bolivar to 27 de febrero. There are two or three near the Claro office and a few more further up 30 de marzo around barra payan sandwich restaurant. The best way to find them is just walk up 30 de marzo.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002

Frank

They are in San Carlos on Ave. 30 de Marzo

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Think of the need of less hassle.

Hi all. I'm moving to Santo Domingo this Spring. I'm trying to find the most reasonable way to get my drum set from Minnesota to Santo Domingo. Any Suggestions are welcome. Please. Also, would it be cheaper to just buy a new drum set in Santo Domingo?

It all depends on big the set is and how attached you are to the drums. If they are something special and/or custom made that would advance them being sent to the DR.

You will find a way to move the drums. However, it is costly. You have to consider your preparation to select a carrier(s), export paperwork, packaging, and selection of transport modes. Note: The surface, air, and ocean cargo rates you will be charged either by the actual weight or by volume weight. the rate that gives the carrier the high revenue.

The mode include truck on both ends, air or ocean transport, a lot of coordination, some worry to include stress.

There are some here who suggest to send as baggage. Yet, the big oops is when you arrive at the airport with the "baggage" the desk agents will tell you, you have to bring them over to the "cargo section".

Maybe the better option to reduce the BS is to sell the drums and use the sale gain and the monies you would have used for shipment to purchase a set in the DR. Less hassle overall.

Do some thinking and cost analysis.

Regards,

PJT

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Couldn't the op use a shipping service like bmcargo or eps? it may cost a lot but he/she will they have a quality drumset.

The problem would be getting that drum kit to Miami (or New York) for reshipment to the DR. The Dominican door to door Mudanza type shippers from Miami or NY City would probably be cheaper than your two selections,but the problem is getting the cargo to them in NY or Miami. A mudanza would be the least expensive way and they charge a flat fee taking care of all the paperwork.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I don't see why you can't crate them and stick them on the plane?
I've traveled with my Yamaha's to / from NY / Ca as luggage.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
There is a facebook group bateristas dominicano, and I am sure many of them have shipped drums down or maybe have drums for sale. There is another big music store that reps yamaha on roberto pastoriza near lope de vega.

Larger music stores may not stcok a ton of drums but can likely order whatever you want. Import taxes on musical instruments appear to be more reasonable. I lugged down v drums in luggage once but they are shallower than the real deal and fit in suitcases.

Touring bands take drums down regularly but I am sure it costs a ton for extra baggage.