Frozen Meat in Carry On Allowed?

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Carry-on, no, but I've brought large cuts (10+lbs) of frozen meat in my checked bags several times. And I've had my checked bags opened for inspection by customs and xrayed also. Both times they commented on the meat, but didn't confiscate it.  I got the impression that as long as it's in the original store packaging, there isn't a problem.

What are you planning on cooking? :)-)

Jan 9, 2004
Putting it in checked luggage also ensures it will be frozen on arrival.
It's cold down there 

Putting it in checked luggage means it could get sent to the wrong airport.....I had it happen years ago until I fired Spirit Airlines.

If you are going to put any meat in checked luggage, buy a small frozen turkey breast and pack all in a soft sided cooler...even though my luggage did not get delivered until the next morning....everything was still cold and the turkey was still pretty solid.

That is why I now prefer to bring it down in my carry-on. Four trips per year for many years and no issues with TSA. A few looks, a couple of chuckles....but never a problem.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
Has anyone ever travelled from the USA to DR with frozen meat in their carry on? Is it allowed?

I am the world's expert in this, as I routinely make buying trips in the US and usually bring back two 50-lb suitcases of kosher meat from NYC to DR. Before I did it the first time, I called the consulate in NY and they told me that all meat must be frozen in original packaging and wrapped in another plastic bag. Those big air-sucker bags are perfect. It is supposed to fly in baggage, and it stays frozen at flight altitude.

Having said that, I once had suitcases that were overweight and I stuck a chicken in my backpack, and although the lady who x-rayed my bag at JFK raised an eyebrow, she didn't say a thing.

Jan 9, 2004
To clarify.....hopefully once and for all;

From the TSA website:

Meat, fish, vegetables and other non-liquid food items are permitted in both carry-on and checked bags. If the food is packed with ice or ice packs in a cooler or other container, the ice or ice packs must be completely frozen when brought through screening. If the ice or ice packs are partially melted and have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they will not be permitted.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
To clarify.....hopefully once and for all;

From the TSA website:

Meat, fish, vegetables and other non-liquid food items are permitted in both carry-on and checked bags. If the food is packed with ice or ice packs in a cooler or other container, the ice or ice packs must be completely frozen when brought through screening. If the ice or ice packs are partially melted and have any liquid at the bottom of the container, they will not be permitted.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Thank you! I went to their website and couldn't find that!

I or our guests do it all the time...

Guess who the Jimmy Dean is for??

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am the world's expert in this, as I routinely make buying trips in the US and usually bring back two 50-lb suitcases of kosher meat from NYC to DR. Before I did it the first time, I called the consulate in NY and they told me that all meat must be frozen in original packaging and wrapped in another plastic bag. Those big air-sucker bags are perfect. It is supposed to fly in baggage, and it stays frozen at flight altitude.

Having said that, I once had suitcases that were overweight and I stuck a chicken in my backpack, and although the lady who x-rayed my bag at JFK raised an eyebrow, she didn't say a thing.

You start out just bringing in some corn beef and pastrami, and then it becomes steaks and chops and you end being a mule for your local butcher. They have clinics that can help you with your addiction. Please get help or god knows what you will be bringing in next? Kosher half dill pickles? I feel your pain.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You start out just bringing in some corn beef and pastrami, and then it becomes steaks and chops and you end being a mule for your local butcher. They have clinics that can help you with your addiction. Please get help or god knows what you will be bringing in next? Kosher half dill pickles? I feel your pain.

@LT - Get with the program here please.
Nobody eats Kosher 1/2 dill pickles bro, it's Batampte sour or don't bother.
The pickled tomatoes are tasty, found on the now defunct Carnegie table.

Ron Anjero

Aug 8, 2013
Sorry but IATA regulations - Import regulations::
For persons of 16 years of age or older:
- 200 cigarettes or one box of cigars (number of cigars depends on intended length of stay and is subject to criteria of customs);
- unopened bottle of alcoholic liquor with a maximum of 2 liters;
- 2 bottles of perfume for personal use in opened bottles.
Prohibited: all animal products (e.g. cheese, meat, sausages etc.), fresh vegetables, fruits, plants, etc.

Country specific import limitations can be more restrictive than this.

Just because you do it and get away with it doesn't make it legal.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sorry but IATA regulations - Import regulations::
For persons of 16 years of age or older:
- 200 cigarettes or one box of cigars (number of cigars depends on intended length of stay and is subject to criteria of customs);
- unopened bottle of alcoholic liquor with a maximum of 2 liters;
- 2 bottles of perfume for personal use in opened bottles.
Prohibited: all animal products (e.g. cheese, meat, sausages etc.), fresh vegetables, fruits, plants, etc.

Country specific import limitations can be more restrictive than this.

Just because you do it and get away with it doesn't make it legal.

I'm not importing. I'm exporting.   :)

Went through TSA without problems. They opened carry on and insulated bag, and sent me on my way

The only thing they took was one of those instant ice packs, I guess because liquid inside   

On the plane now, all is well

Jan 9, 2004
I'm not importing. I'm exporting.   :)

Went through TSA without problems. They opened carry on and insulated bag, and sent me on my way

The only thing they took was one of those instant ice packs, I guess because liquid inside   

On the plane now, all is well

If the ice pack started to melt....that is likely why they took it.

I stopped using the ice packs and replaced with frozen bottles of water. Then I stumbled on the small frozen turkey breast as ice remedy....which I now use exclusively.

Good luck with Customs in the DR.

Bien Viaje.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2