Notary

I will be in DR this week and I have papers I need to email back to the USA and they have to be notarized, I will be leaving today Saturday and all notarys are closed here in NY. Just curious do they have Notarys in Puerto plata or anywhere else up north? Even Santiago?

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
From the US Embassy website:

Notarial Services:
In Santo Domingo, notarial services are provided by appointment only on Mondays and Thursdays (except on Dominican or U.S. holidays). Please send an email to sdoamericans@state.gov to request your appointment. You will receive an email response with your appointment confirmation. Such confirmation needs to be printed and presented the day of your appointment. Please keep in mind that only those individuals with confirmed appointments will be allowed into the Consular Section facilities.

Applicants must bring their documents to be notarized to the Consular Section at 1:30 p.m. All applicants must pay the notarial fees at the Window 14 cashier, and wait to sign the documents in front of a consular officer.

If you would like to make an appointment for a notarial service at one of the Consular Agencies, please email Punta Cana Consular Agency or Puerto Plata Consular Agency. If you experience technical difficulties or do not have access to internet, you may make your appointment by calling (809) 552-8990 for Punta Cana or calling telephone numbers (809) 586-8017, (809) 586-4204, (809) 586-8023 for Puerto Plata.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
There may be a difference between a regular notary and a DR Embassy notary.

The government may accept only its own notarization.

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
Not sure how it all works and the validity of it,  but there are plenty of online advertising.  

Google 'online notary'. Plenty of sites to choose from. 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If you need a document notarized for something in the US, it is highly unlikely that a Dominican notary will work for that.

There used to be a US Notary service available, done by the US Consul, in Puerto Plata. If that is not still available there, you will probably have to go to the US Consulate in Santo Domingo.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
If you need an American document notarized, it has to be done at US embassy

Absolutely correct. If you cannot get it done here many airports in the US have notary services, just Google your airport. It is also cheaper to do at the airport than at the embassy or consulate here ($50). We recently had documents done at the Dallas airport with no problem.

Bob K

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Guido Perdomo is a notary and I think might be licensed in Miami as well so would be a US notary. Not sure. Check it out.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Guido Perdomo is a notary and I think might be licensed in Miami as well so would be a US notary. Not sure. Check it out.

According to the US State Department, a person like Guido Perdomo (or a US Citizen like myself) cannot legally be a US Notary oustide of the jurisdiction of the State in which he is licensed to be a Notary:

CAN A NOTARY PUBLIC FROM THE UNITED STATES PERFORM THAT FUNCTION ABROAD? No. The commission of a notary public is limited to the jurisdiction within the particular state in the U.S. for which the commission was issued. For additional information about notaries in the United States contact the National Notary Association, a Non-Profit Educational Organization, 8236 Remmet Avenue, P.O. Box 7184, Canoga Park, CA 91304-7184, tel: 818-713-4000.

Apparently US Notaries lose their superpowers when venturing across state lines. The only exception I know about is Notaries that are in the US consuls at various locations throughout the world such as Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata and I see someone mentioned there might be one in Punta Cana as well. They are the only ones apparently allotted international notary superpowers. I think the last time I had a document notarized in the Puerto Plata Consulate, it was about $90 US.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2004
According to the US State Department, a person like Guido Perdomo (or a US Citizen like myself) cannot legally be a US Notary oustide of the jurisdiction of the State in which he is licensed to be a Notary:

CAN A NOTARY PUBLIC FROM THE UNITED STATES PERFORM THAT FUNCTION ABROAD? No. The commission of a notary public is limited to the jurisdiction within the particular state in the U.S. for which the commission was issued. For additional information about notaries in the United States contact the National Notary Association, a Non-Profit Educational Organization, 8236 Remmet Avenue, P.O. Box 7184, Canoga Park, CA 91304-7184, tel: 818-713-4000.

Apparently US Notaries lose their superpowers when venturing across state lines. The only exception I know about is Notaries that are in the US consuls at various locations throughout the world such as Santo Domingo, Puerto Plata and I see someone mentioned there might be one in Punta Cana as well. They are the only ones apparently allotted international notary superpowers. I think the last time I had a document notarized in the Puerto Plata Consulate, it was about $90 US.

Exactly!

Only consular officers can notarize a document for the US without question. All other US notaries would be outside their jurisdiction, rendering void the notarization.

It is possible to use a foreign country notary.......but then the document would require further authentication to be accepted. Do not bother with this route. This advice is for US documents needing a notary.....not DR documents....and based on decades of my experience as a Notary.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2