Car Windows Damaged by the Sun

j&t's future

Bronze
Mar 6, 2007
Our rear car window seems have wrinkly lines embedded in it. I‘m sure the sun has caused this damage. It’s like a skin even though when you run your hand ether side of the window you can’t feel a thing.
Any idea’s how to fix this.
Thanks

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Our rear car window seems have wrinkly lines embedded in it. I‘m sure the sun has caused this damage. It’s like a skin even though when you run your hand ether side of the window you can’t feel a thing.
Thanks
Cheap replacement glass could be the cause. There is a layer of lamination that's plastic for shatter resistance. That can get hot and the plastic reshape and deform.

I doubt there is a fix.

You also may have a darkened lamination layer on the inside that's worn out.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Thanks

Are you sure it's not the tint that is wrinkled?

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Cheap replacement glass could be the cause. There is a layer of lamination that's plastic for shatter resistance. That can get hot and the plastic reshape and deform.

I doubt there is a fix.

You also may have a darkened lamination layer on the inside that's worn out.

correct... when that type of glass was first made , it was called safety glass.....there is a very thin layer if plastic between 2 layers of glass......... I have a feeling in a accident that glass is no longer safe........