Life in another country

TERRY

Feb 1, 2002
I immigrated to Canada from Scotland 21 years ago,it was difficult to adjust,I missed my family,driving on the other side of the road was awkward, it was cold,ect ect.I could list many other problems that I had, but here I am 21 years later,I adjusted I stopped comparing my life to before.
This post is directed to the people who whine about life in the D.R.
If you want to make a new life for yourself stop comparing D.R. to wherever you came from, and start contributing to your new country.The D.R. is a wonderful country,its not perfect,but neither is Scotland or Canada.

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
and why not ??

when I lived in the USA there where certain aspects of live I complained about
Same in Canada or Holland or other countries
In the last two countries I complained about the high taxes I had to pay.
Well now that I live here there are certain
aspects I could and should complain about.
Life here is grosso modo absolutly great.
I love it here however some things could improve.
I am not talking about electricity or that stuf.
But absence of basic rights.
For example if you have a problem with Edennorte there is nothing you can do about.
There are many examples like this.
And then there is nothing wrong with complaining.
AS you state your self no country is perfect.
So the DR surely is not.
So why not complain.
And compliment as well when things are great.

deborah

Jan 15, 2002
Thanks for your message.. I am in agreement with you. We all know there are plenty of wonderful things about the D.R. but as with every place there are some things that drive you round the bend .... why do we have to pretend it isn't so, why not have a little grouse now and then - it helps to put things in perspective and let off a little steam once in a while... its a very natural thing to do.. then we pick up and keep going and look back and laugh...but why does everyone on this site berate the person who is having a moan!

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
TERRY said:
...This post is directed to the people who whine about life in the D.R.
If you want to make a new life for yourself stop comparing D.R. to wherever you came from, and start contributing to your new country.The D.R. is a wonderful country,its not perfect,but neither is Scotland or Canada.

I half agree, half don't. The longer I live here, the more I see posts from people that don't live here giving us direction on how we should behave, what we "need" to start doing... It starts to come across more and more as typical "first world" advice. Thanks. Then again, maybe you now live here, not sure. And to compare the imperfections of the DR to Canada...ouch. World's apart.

I am actually a huge fan of voting with your feet...if you don't like it, do something about it, leave, run for office, etc. At the same time, having a good bitch session about something with a buddy (which is what this board equates to on many instances) is healthy and often great entertainment because most of us can relate :)

marc

Last edited:

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
Re: Re: Life in another country

Marc
I was not comparing Canada to the Dr .
I was only saying there are reasons there as well to complain. No country is perfect.
While I love it here God knows there are lots of reasons to complain about stuff here.
And my point was why should I not complain.
Are you pretending this is paradise without faults.
And yes i do live here.
I am not telling people how to live here
I might have valuable advise for people
who like to settle here , who can benifit from where I learned from my mistakes.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Maybe we should move to the "Open Forum"

When the posts start to get "Heavy"(As in a good "Gripe Session") it "fits" better in the "Open" area! "Living" is more of" "where can I find?","Do you know?,etc."Vacationers" have simple questions,and don,t want to think about the "Socio-Economic" problems that confront "residents" on a continual basis!Change begins with complaints!CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Good advice Criss

and my post was not in reference to your's, Paul. The originator was quoted.

Here's to looking forward to a stressful day of beach sitting and oyster eating tomorrow ;)
marc

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
oysters

Marc
are you buying and eating the oysters
they offer you on the beach??
Whats the experience..
I never dared.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Debates, arguements and discussions

I for one love the lively debates on DR1. I've been lurking for years and just recently began posting again.

In my opinion complaining is for losers. It degrades the soul.

Open debate and discussion is a great tool and the seeds from which great things are born.

No one is going to like everything about the DR and my posting isn't going to change any of that. I just recommend that when you see blatant complaining, let it go and let the thread die with it. Soapboxes fall without support.

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function. One should, for example, be able to see that things are hopeless and yet be determined to make them otherwise."

F. Scott Fitzgerald

drbrazeau

Feb 26, 2002
The DR's best resource is her people. We left the country with heavy hearts in '93, and did not return until 2000. We were absolutely stunned with the improvements in Sto. Dgo. and as we then learned, with the intelligent leadership of President Leonel. We also later learned that the DR had experienced the most economic growth than any other country in the world.

Economic growth is not the only reason why the Dominicans are awesome. They have good balance in their lives -- they have a fine set of values and priorities -- they walk with heads up tall -- they stand up in school to recite with confidence -- they laugh well and cry well. Children do not cry in dental chairs. Neither do their parents. They give time to others. Goods and clocks do not matter as much as people do. The poor do not know they are poor, and the middle class believes themelves to be rich. And to Dominicans, God is the highest authority. We in the US could learn a lot from them.

We try to give to Dominicans, but we always leave the country richer than when we had come. Dominicans rule! God bless the DR.