AA flight via CLT

Jan 17, 2009
Has anyone (preferably US citizen) taken this flight with a domestic connection that can give me a general idea of how long it takes to clear immigration and customs?  I realize they don't have Mobile Pass available yet.  Do they have machine or one needs to fill out a paper form?  

Looking into a Saturday departure from POP to IAD, via CLT, with a 1 hour 15 minutes connection time.  I know is a bit tight but if it is an easy airport to navigate and maybe not too busy at this time of the year, I may be able to pull it off on time.  

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Not a US citizen but flew through CLT on AA a bit over a month ago and everyone needed to fill out the form. We were the only flight arriving at that moment, everyone did the same line and I went through in about 15 minutes. Back through the security checkpoint in about 10 and then a 15 minute walk to my gate. I prefer it over MIA any day of the week. Yes, it can get very busy but it's not THAT big and things are clearly marked.

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks, Kate.  I'm trying to go avoid going through Miami for the first time and of course, if I could avoid having to wait 3.5 hour for the next flight to DC, much better.

When you said "everyone did the same line", you mean all passengers?  Just asking to confirm because you said you're not a US citizen.  I read somewhere that most passengers flying through CLT are US citizens and that lines could be very long, but that was for any flight (transatlantic too), and it was an old comment.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Thanks, Kate.  I'm trying to go avoid going through Miami for the first time and of course, if I could avoid having to wait 3.5 hour for the next flight to DC, much better.

When you said "everyone did the same line", you mean all passengers?  Just asking to confirm because you said you're not a US citizen.  I read somewhere that most passengers flying through CLT are US citizens and that lines could be very long, but that was for any flight (transatlantic too), and it was an old comment.

Yes, all passengers from our plane did the same line and over half appeared to be US citizens.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
My daughter and party, US citizens just flew this route and it went smoothly and they loved not going through Miami with the long layover. My problem is it doesn't exist in the month of May when I travel.

Jan 17, 2009
"My problem is it doesn't exist in the month of May when I travel."

Oh, I didn't know it was a route AA has only during high season.  Thanks for letting me know so I can plan accordingly.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I have flown AA through CLT several times. Prefer it over Miami any day. Going through immigration and customs was fairly quick. Went to kiosk, entered my information and got foto taken. Gave that (paper print out) to immigration officer and then proceeded to customs. Once through customs rechecked bag. Maybe a total of 20-30 minutes. Unfortunately for me (traveling to and from West Coast of US) AA has changed most of their routings and now most everything goes through Miami. However I fly in and out of SDQ (on rare occasions I have flown in/out of PUJ and STI).

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
"Prefer it over Miami any day"
Amen if there is a route out of POP that works. I would rather fly through any airport on earth over Miami which has the rudest people with the longest lines at the worst designed airport in the Western World.
Too bad it is the 1st place many people from Latin America see of the US.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I know you were asking about AA but Jet Blue has reinstated the flight to IAD through JFK - short connection time, great flight, taken it several times. Leaves 12:30 I think from POP arrives JFK 4:30 and 6:00 something goes to IAD arriving 7:20.

Jan 17, 2009
Yes, I'm asking about AA because I'm planning to fly on a mileage ticket.  If I had to purchase a ticket to DC, I would definitely go with JetBlue or United--cheaper than AA and better service.  

My main concern here is whether or not 1hour and 15 min may be enough to do customs/immigration in CLT.  I know I've done it even faster in MIA, but using Mobile Pass, which is not available in CLT.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
If you are not delayed you should be ok. CLT is not that big so getting to your gate after customs will be easy and less than 8 min or so.
I love flying to CLT if I can.

BObK

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I thought they just had Saturday flights but could be wrong.  Also does anyone know when the flights end for the season?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
according to my MIL, it was supposed to be seasonal but there was so much interest they left it all year round (in laws travel to NC several times a year, all year round).

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
I travel through CLT when I visit PUJ.  Much better than Miami and with Global Entry, it is almost seamless.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
Good reminder of this connection from CLT. Every time I go through MIA I am annoyed with the lines and regular chaos there in addition to much longer flight time in my case compared with the CLT service

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Keep in mind that American closes out their flights 10 minutes prior to departure, so you really only have an hour and five minutes to get to the gate in CLT. On the other hand, they like to over block their flight times so as to preserve their ontime arrival record with the DOT so, barring any delays, you should arrive a little early in CLT.