Moving to DR this year

WRM

Aug 9, 2015
Can someone with young or small children tell me what is like to live in Las Terrenas or Punta Cana? Is it fun or boring? We are looking for a place with tons of activities for kids. Therefore, Santo Domingo, the city is our first choice, but would like to give a chance to those two places mentioned above. Thank you in advance for your help.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

alexw

Gold
Sep 6, 2008
NYC-SDQ BABY!
No one can tell you what youre going to like or dislike. Take the kids down stay for a couple months in both places and make a good decision based on your feelings.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
You will find many obstacles to living here full time. The schools are just the start of it.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Unknown why you are moving here, (family ,job, etc ) but if it is just to expose your kids to a different culture and soak up some sun you will be putting your children at a disadvantage, as the school systems and extracurricular activities are third world.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Unknown why you are moving here, (family ,job, etc ) but if it is just to expose your kids to a different culture and soak up some sun you will be putting your children at a disadvantage, as the school systems and extracurricular activities are third world.
Not necessarily true. There is a new school in Bavaro, the director is from the US. The curriculum is based on US standards, as well as the method of teaching. All classes are in English, with weekly instruction in Spanish as well. I have a friend who sent her son to the Heritage School here, and he was above grade level when he returned to school in the States. There are good schools out there, you just have to investigate.

As far as activities, there are lessons in swimming, martial arts, dance, and sports available in the area. And what kid doesn't want to go play at the beach?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

WRM

Aug 9, 2015
We are looking for an area that has a good private bilingual school and we can have a relaxed life (where we do not have to deal with traffic and crime like in the capital.) As such, we are considering: Las Terrenas, Punta Cana and La Romana. Job wise, I am self employed and work from home. So no need to look for a job there.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
D.R schools cannot compare to the education system in the U.S. They would be put at a serious disadvantage if they plan on pursuing college. Kids now are exposed to computers at a very early age and I think schools here have 4 that work.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Bringing young children here for your life style, some might say is selfish....Sorry.

WRM

Aug 9, 2015
D.R schools cannot compare to the education system in the U.S. They would be put at a serious disadvantage if they plan on pursuing college. Kids now are exposed to computers at a very early age and I think schools here have 4 that work.
I agreed with you if you are referring to the public school system. But Private schools in DR are pretty good.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I'm not sure what area you are in, but there are a couple of private schools in the Punta Cana area that are on par with the US. I have had friends return to the states and their children tested at or above grade level. Yes, the public schools are a disgrace, but not all of the private ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe

I am not sure if US schools are THE standard (at least for europeans not), but even if the kids will go to college here some degrees and diploma's will be valid in the US and many other countries.
Apart from that they will learn Spanish and French, something that in the US would be very hard to achieve.

WRM

Aug 9, 2015
Bringing young children here for your life style, some might say is selfish....Sorry.
Well, I respect your opinion. However, I think I am doing the complete opposite. For example I wouldn't be able to send my kids here in the states to a private bilingual school. The cost start at $10k per year/ per kid. For the same education or better, the bilingual ptivate schools in DR start at $3,600 per year. Not taking into account that in DR I could afford a whole bunch of other activities to enrich their education.

jmnorr

Nov 22, 2012
Don't go to the big cities, yes the private schools in Santiago and Santo Domingo have great programs however you will have traffic, noise and neighbors on top of you. There is an International School in Punta Cana .....look into that, it is a sort of village of it's own with school, homes, little shopping malls..that sound more like what you are looking for. On the North Coast there is The International School of Sosua....school is American Curriculum, also learning French and Spanish and is accredited by Advanced Ed which makes college entrance easier. You would not have to live in Sosua proper as you can live in a community such as Perla Marina, Casa Linda, Seahorse Ranch or places in Cabarette and still be within 15 minutes of the school, and they have transportation! There are plenty of extra after school and summer programs...surfing, wind surfing, horse back riding and learning to jump and have the horses compete, taikwando, dance classes, soccer, baseball and basketball. But you have to make up your mind as to how much city life you want. I would certainly visit for several months in each area, or at least one month in each, to get the real feel not the tourist point of view. To enjoy this country you need to fall in love with this beautiful country and see the beauty in it and its people. In order to do this you will not want to be in the cities as it is much like being in Detroit, Chicago, New York...you can live in the suburbs but you usually would not choose to live in the city. Here you must be humble with respect to the fact that this is not your country unless you make it so! I have been here 6 years and traveled here for vacations for 15 years prior...lived in Sosua, Perla Marina, Cabrera, Santiago and now back to a non city life in the mountain area of Maimon/Cotui....it is all about perspective! Good luck with your search and your move...your children will adapt much easier than you will especially if the go to an International School but remember there is so much more here than what the tourist brochures tell you. To truly see the joy and smiles of Dominican people we now call friend and family is why we are here! I teach, have been a principal and continue to teach in the remote areas....I am from the US...teaching in an international or bilingual school will give your children the education they need but remember to most Dominicans that is a world that only exists in a dream! Keep real.

WRM

Aug 9, 2015
Don't go to the big cities, yes the private schools in Santiago and Santo Domingo have great programs however you will have traffic, noise and neighbors on top of you. There is an International School in Punta Cana .....look into that, it is a sort of village of it's own with school, homes, little shopping malls..that sound more like what you are looking for. On the North Coast there is The International School of Sosua....school is American Curriculum, also learning French and Spanish and is accredited by Advanced Ed which makes college entrance easier. You would not have to live in Sosua proper as you can live in a community such as Perla Marina, Casa Linda, Seahorse Ranch or places in Cabarette and still be within 15 minutes of the school, and they have transportation! There are plenty of extra after school and summer programs...surfing, wind surfing, horse back riding and learning to jump and have the horses compete, taikwando, dance classes, soccer, baseball and basketball. But you have to make up your mind as to how much city life you want. I would certainly visit for several months in each area, or at least one month in each, to get the real feel not the tourist point of view. To enjoy this country you need to fall in love with this beautiful country and see the beauty in it and its people. In order to do this you will not want to be in the cities as it is much like being in Detroit, Chicago, New York...you can live in the suburbs but you usually would not choose to live in the city. Here you must be humble with respect to the fact that this is not your country unless you make it so! I have been here 6 years and traveled here for vacations for 15 years prior...lived in Sosua, Perla Marina, Cabrera, Santiago and now back to a non city life in the mountain area of Maimon/Cotui....it is all about perspective! Good luck with your search and your move...your children will adapt much easier than you will especially if the go to an International School but remember there is so much more here than what the tourist brochures tell you. To truly see the joy and smiles of Dominican people we now call friend and family is why we are here! I teach, have been a principal and continue to teach in the remote areas....I am from the US...teaching in an international or bilingual school will give your children the education they need but remember to most Dominicans that is a world that only exists in a dream! Keep real.
THANK YOU SO MUCH. Great feedback and ideas.

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Well to each their own, what about medical care ? Are you comfortable taking your children to a Dominican doctor for inoculation etc.Most people with any means here aspire to send their off spring stateside for an education. As far as college, which should be the goal, ever heard of anyone wanting to come here to go to college ? It's just not a goal. Anyway good luck to you.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
While Santo Domingo has a lot to offer in the way of activities, cultural events, etc.. the traffic, noise, basic craziness of a big city really takes some time to get use to. Many don't and eventually relocate. Santo Domingo is also expensive and for the money I would prefer Punta Cana. We have friends who live there with a small child (6yrs) and they seem to be busy all the time with various activities. You really need to visit and spend time in each area to see what suites you best.

WRM

Aug 9, 2015
Thank you all for your input. I truly appreciate it. We will go there next month to visit schools and get to know some areas.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
schools

I know that the International School in Sosua is one of the few that adheres to a curriculum that allows kids to hit US standards and actually be prepared for SATs, etc. and get into universities. The rest of them....good luck.