Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Used Interstate battery??

We bought Interstate batteries for one of our inverters two years ago, and one has gone bad. Other three are fine. 

Taking a shot in the dark here to see if anyone has a used one for sale. 

Otherwise will head to LA Sirena for red Trojans, the ones we have on other inverter are older than these and still going strong. 

Administrator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

AE,
    The advice is never to mix old and new batteries.

Replace all or none

3. Likes jstarebel, cobraboy liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a whole big thread on this a while ago. ( one battery going bad the rest ok)
    again, IMHO a battery does not go"bad" in 2 years ..esp if the cells are kept wet..
    This sounds like a perfect opportunity to try to re condition it ... I would not throw away a 2 year old Deep Cycling Battery ,. no way.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

On a side note: I'll never ever buy Interstate again. I used to have red Trojans and only needed to fill once every two or three months. Then bought the more expensive interstates and need to fill every three weeks. Which I ofcourse forgot and they got dry and are ready to throw out (so yes I have (4) used interstates, but you shouldn't want them. 

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm curious, what do Trojans cost in the DR.
    I just replaced four 12v Trojans in Texas for $871.00.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    On a side note: I'll never ever buy Interstate again. I used to have red Trojans and only needed to fill once every two or three months. Then bought the more expensive interstates and need to fill every three weeks. Which I ofcourse forgot and they got dry and are ready to throw out (so yes I have (4) used interstates, but you shouldn't want them. 
    Quote Originally Posted by drtampa View Post
    I'm curious, what do Trojans cost in the DR.
    I just replaced four 12v Trojans in Texas for $871.00.
    Quote Originally Posted by jd426 View Post
    We had a whole big thread on this a while ago. ( one battery going bad the rest ok)
    again, IMHO a battery does not go"bad" in 2 years ..esp if the cells are kept wet..
    This sounds like a perfect opportunity to try to re condition it ... I would not throw away a 2 year old Deep Cycling Battery ,. no way.

I have NEVER heard of anything that will reliably recondition a deep cycle battery that has failed. Snake oil, promises and failure. If a deep cycle battery is cycled deeply too many times, it will indeed fail in two years. Even less time. There are charts on Trojan's web site that show how many cycles at certain depths before failure sets in. I have had my share of such failures and attempted resurrections.

The warm temperatures in the DR are also a problem for batteries. Trojan T105 (reddish color) 225 AH batteries are about $150 US here at La Sirena. So far, the ones I have purchased at La Sirena have lasted longer than those purchased elsewhere.

As far as replacing the one battery going bad with a still good but older one, it might help make the bank last, but it probably won't.

8. Likes jd426 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Always wondered why people believe in reconditioning a battery here. But then again many Dominicans believe in zombies. So it's a gamble for you. Buy one new and maybe get some more time or spend a lot for all new batteries. You are between a rock and a hard place. Have your husband decide then when the one new battery does not work you can complain. That's what my wife would do.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting 4 new Trojans.  

Administrator
    DR1.com

11. Likes jd426, windeguy liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Getting 4 new Trojans.  
    Good choice AE. Take a look on the Trojan website about "equalizing" your batteries to insure equal life from all batteries on the bank..  

13. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstarebel View Post
    Good choice AE. Take a look on the Trojan website about "equalizing" your batteries to insure equal life from all batteries on the bank..  
    Thanks rebel, will do. This every two years replacing is getting old quickly

Administrator
    DR1.com

15. Likes beachcomber liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast