Used Interstate battery??

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We bought Interstate batteries for one of our inverters two years ago, and one has gone bad. Other three are fine. 

Taking a shot in the dark here to see if anyone has a used one for sale. 

Otherwise will head to LA Sirena for red Trojans, the ones we have on other inverter are older than these and still going strong. 

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
We had a whole big thread on this a while ago. ( one battery going bad the rest ok)
again, IMHO a battery does not go"bad" in 2 years ..esp if the cells are kept wet..
This sounds like a perfect opportunity to try to re condition it ... I would not throw away a 2 year old Deep Cycling Battery ,. no way.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
On a side note: I'll never ever buy Interstate again. I used to have red Trojans and only needed to fill once every two or three months. Then bought the more expensive interstates and need to fill every three weeks. Which I ofcourse forgot and they got dry and are ready to throw out (so yes I have (4) used interstates, but you shouldn't want them. 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
On a side note: I'll never ever buy Interstate again. I used to have red Trojans and only needed to fill once every two or three months. Then bought the more expensive interstates and need to fill every three weeks. Which I ofcourse forgot and they got dry and are ready to throw out (so yes I have (4) used interstates, but you shouldn't want them. 

I'm curious, what do Trojans cost in the DR.
I just replaced four 12v Trojans in Texas for $871.00.

We had a whole big thread on this a while ago. ( one battery going bad the rest ok)
again, IMHO a battery does not go"bad" in 2 years ..esp if the cells are kept wet..
This sounds like a perfect opportunity to try to re condition it ... I would not throw away a 2 year old Deep Cycling Battery ,. no way.

I have NEVER heard of anything that will reliably recondition a deep cycle battery that has failed. Snake oil, promises and failure. If a deep cycle battery is cycled deeply too many times, it will indeed fail in two years. Even less time. There are charts on Trojan's web site that show how many cycles at certain depths before failure sets in. I have had my share of such failures and attempted resurrections.

The warm temperatures in the DR are also a problem for batteries. Trojan T105 (reddish color) 225 AH batteries are about $150 US here at La Sirena. So far, the ones I have purchased at La Sirena have lasted longer than those purchased elsewhere.

As far as replacing the one battery going bad with a still good but older one, it might help make the bank last, but it probably won't.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Always wondered why people believe in reconditioning a battery here. But then again many Dominicans believe in zombies. So it's a gamble for you. Buy one new and maybe get some more time or spend a lot for all new batteries. You are between a rock and a hard place. Have your husband decide then when the one new battery does not work you can complain. That's what my wife would do.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I have NEVER heard of anything that will reliably recondition a deep cycle battery that has failed. Snake oil, promises and failure. If a deep cycle battery is cycled deeply too many times, it will indeed fail in two years. Even less time. There are charts on Trojan's web site that show how many cycles at certain depths before failure sets in. I have had my share of such failures and attempted resurrections.

The warm temperatures in the DR are also a problem for batteries. Trojan T105 (reddish color) 225 AH batteries are about $150 US here at La Sirena. So far, the ones I have purchased at La Sirena have lasted longer than those purchased elsewhere.

As far as replacing the one battery going bad with a still good but older one, it might help make the bank last, but it probably won't.

I changed batteries last summer. Got the trojan red T105. They were more expensive at lasirena than at batterie " shops " , like the 1 above caribe tour at the entrance of santiago ( navarette side of town, if u see what I mean ).
Would need to check, but somewhere between 5.4k and 5,7k, using a professionals card number. Not too hard to find. Cost :a couple of beers.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013
Hey AE, here are a couple of links. One talks about the difference in charge controllers, and the other is on equalization and maintenance of Trojan batteries. I don't know what type of solar system you have, but an MPPT charge controller may also help your situation. there are sites that can tell you which style of charge controller would be best for you. Just google my last sentence.
http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/battery-maintenance/
http://www.mpptsolar.com/en/how-to-choose-a-solar-charge-controller.html

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If your batteries are cycled deeply and frequently, the battery manufacturers have told me that equalization is not likely to help much if at all. Equalization is more important for battery systems that stand idle for periods of time so that the electrolyte becomes stratified and causes more rapid deterioration of the plates.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hey AE, here are a couple of links. One talks about the difference in charge controllers, and the other is on equalization and maintenance of Trojan batteries. I don't know what type of solar system you have, but an MPPT charge controller may also help your situation. there are sites that can tell you which style of charge controller would be best for you. Just google my last sentence.
http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/battery-maintenance/
http://www.mpptsolar.com/en/how-to-choose-a-solar-charge-controller.html

We don't have solar panels rebel, just two inverters. 

If your batteries are cycled deeply and frequently, the battery manufacturers have told me that equalization is not likely to help much if at all. Equalization is more important for battery systems that stand idle for periods of time so that the electrolyte becomes stratified and causes more rapid deterioration of the plates.

No idleing here, we are in a terrible circuit and lose power for extended time daily. 

Just had 4 new red Trojans installed. BIL owns a business in SD, and got us a great deal from a company he's used for both business and home for years.  22,000 with 24 month warranty. 12 months full free replacement, 12 months prorated replacement. 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
In a "terrible circuit", that loses power daily, you will never have time to even try an equalize the batteries. That circuit is what is causing quick battery death.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Always wondered why people believe in reconditioning a battery here. But then again many Dominicans believe in zombies. So it's a gamble for you. Buy one new and maybe get some more time or spend a lot for all new batteries. You are between a rock and a hard place. Have your husband decide then when the one new battery does not work you can complain. That's what my wife would do.

I have a battery charger with a "reconditioning" function that has given me some success with rejuvenating batteries.

Whenever my inverter indicates 3 lights instead of 4, I run them through the reconditioning process two at a time and it usually takes me back to 4 lights.

I just swapped out my 8 yr old Trojans for 4 new interstate batteries. I'm interested to see how they do. I have interstate gel batteries in my vehicles and they are still going strong after 7+ years.

I hope my inverter batteries do as well.

One thing in my favor: I am on a 24/7 circuit. Not nearly as bad as AlterEgo's neck of the woods.