Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spraying for mosquitos

After Mr AE's bout with dengue last year, we're trying to be proactive this year. 

Anyone recommend a product to spray outdoors around property?  We have a sprayer and also a fogger. We do have dogs on property so have to bear that in mind. 

Administrator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

They fog (or smoke) our property every Tuesday and it seems to last pretty well until the next Tuesday. We use Baygon Mosquito coils on the balcony and terrace and occasionally spray with Black Flag. The "no-see-ems" seem to be a bigger problem here in Bavaro. Their bites ITCH, ITCH and get red, red and more red.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I can not... but screens can be bought real cheap in ferreterías, cut w/scissors and apply w/duct tape, or other means.  Time consuming but easy.  Lastly, in the novel "from here to eternity " there is an American soldier in Hawaii who doesn't mind the tropical mosquitoes because he says their bites remind him he is alive & make him feel alive.  (That fictional soldier changed my attitude about mosquitoes).  

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    I can not... but screens can be bought real cheap in ferreterías, cut w/scissors and apply w/duct tape, or other means.  Time consuming but easy.  Lastly, in the novel "from here to eternity " there is an American soldier in Hawaii who doesn't mind the tropical mosquitoes because he says their bites remind him he is alive & make him feel alive.  (That fictional soldier changed my attitude about mosquitoes).  
    Our windows all have screens that came with them, and we have Magic Mesh on the doors, so not a big problem I side. We spend almost all day outdoors, which is why we want to treat there. 

Administrator
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I like just putting repellant on my skin. Newer repellants are non greasy and work great. That way I know I am protected. Area spraying is too hit or miss. And then there is always chikengunya, zika. and malaria. I like the comfortable feeling of being safe after using the sprays. You see someone up close and personal with a good dose of dengue you will understand just how serious a health risk it is. Being proactive here is super smart. You can avoid being horribly ill.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

supona is an easily found poison...... you spray it outside with a bombita, ie shoulder carried crop sprayer.
    It kills everything. Flies, ticks, cienpies, ...... more or less every insect.
    It also settles on the ground, so has some lasting effect.

Upside : does not affect plants ( well ornemental plants that is, i wouldnt spray my fruit and veg with it...... even though locals do ).
    ........locals even use it inside !! On their clothes and all, to kill off creepy crawlies..... but thats a big no-no for me.
    Also very cheap.

Downside : very nocive poison. I do it myself. I dont trust any1 not to get it allover dog water bowls, swimming pool, tools......etc.

I use supona maybe once a year, unless a specific problem. That combined with coils, sprays and mesh on windows/ doors, makes for not-too-many mosquitoes.

P.S. i am not an anti-mosquito-spray-on-oneself kind of guy. I dont trust those bloody things to be safe.

7. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

As a dengue veteran..... repellent is what works.
    We bring plenty with us.

Also, I bought a shirt over Christmas in PHL....ex-Officio, Halo - built in repellent.
    REI has them.....

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    As a dengue veteran..... repellent is what works.
    We bring plenty with us.

Also, I bought a shirt over Christmas in PHL....ex-Officio, Halo - built in repellent.
    REI has them.....
    I vote for repellent , after trying some, we use this from "Beni Bio". And additional from this
    Company Universal Hogar Spray , vor walls, curtains.
    All Doors and Windows are protected with mosquitero. But we mostly are outside, so it is better
    To be protected directly.
    Last edited by sabra; 01-28-2017 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Mistake

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i favor DEET.... I bring it in.

BackWoods OFF, etc......

any of the camping stores have extra duty strong.
    Or go to Quebec, Northern Ontario..... black flies abound.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

When visiting the in-laws who live in the campo, we spend most all the time outdoors. I find the coils work well. We place a few around the patio area and it seems to keep the buggers away. I also use repellent faithfully as it seems the mosquitos love me.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast