Spraying for mosquitos

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
After Mr AE's bout with dengue last year, we're trying to be proactive this year. 

Anyone recommend a product to spray outdoors around property?  We have a sprayer and also a fogger. We do have dogs on property so have to bear that in mind. 

Jan 7, 2016
They fog (or smoke) our property every Tuesday and it seems to last pretty well until the next Tuesday. We use Baygon Mosquito coils on the balcony and terrace and occasionally spray with Black Flag. The "no-see-ems" seem to be a bigger problem here in Bavaro. Their bites ITCH, ITCH and get red, red and more red.

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
I can not... but screens can be bought real cheap in ferreterías, cut w/scissors and apply w/duct tape, or other means.  Time consuming but easy.  Lastly, in the novel "from here to eternity " there is an American soldier in Hawaii who doesn't mind the tropical mosquitoes because he says their bites remind him he is alive & make him feel alive.  (That fictional soldier changed my attitude about mosquitoes).  

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I can not... but screens can be bought real cheap in ferreterías, cut w/scissors and apply w/duct tape, or other means.  Time consuming but easy.  Lastly, in the novel "from here to eternity " there is an American soldier in Hawaii who doesn't mind the tropical mosquitoes because he says their bites remind him he is alive & make him feel alive.  (That fictional soldier changed my attitude about mosquitoes).  

Our windows all have screens that came with them, and we have Magic Mesh on the doors, so not a big problem I side. We spend almost all day outdoors, which is why we want to treat there. 

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I like just putting repellant on my skin. Newer repellants are non greasy and work great. That way I know I am protected. Area spraying is too hit or miss. And then there is always chikengunya, zika. and malaria. I like the comfortable feeling of being safe after using the sprays. You see someone up close and personal with a good dose of dengue you will understand just how serious a health risk it is. Being proactive here is super smart. You can avoid being horribly ill.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
supona is an easily found poison...... you spray it outside with a bombita, ie shoulder carried crop sprayer.
It kills everything. Flies, ticks, cienpies, ...... more or less every insect.
It also settles on the ground, so has some lasting effect.

Upside : does not affect plants ( well ornemental plants that is, i wouldnt spray my fruit and veg with it...... even though locals do ).
........locals even use it inside !! On their clothes and all, to kill off creepy crawlies..... but thats a big no-no for me.
Also very cheap.

Downside : very nocive poison. I do it myself. I dont trust any1 not to get it allover dog water bowls, swimming pool, tools......etc.

I use supona maybe once a year, unless a specific problem. That combined with coils, sprays and mesh on windows/ doors, makes for not-too-many mosquitoes.

P.S. i am not an anti-mosquito-spray-on-oneself kind of guy. I dont trust those bloody things to be safe. :( :(

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
As a dengue veteran..... repellent is what works.
We bring plenty with us.

Also, I bought a shirt over Christmas in PHL....ex-Officio, Halo - built in repellent.
REI has them.....

sabra

Jun 16, 2007
As a dengue veteran..... repellent is what works.
We bring plenty with us.

Also, I bought a shirt over Christmas in PHL....ex-Officio, Halo - built in repellent.
REI has them.....

I vote for repellent , after trying some, we use this from "Beni Bio". And additional from this
Company Universal Hogar Spray , vor walls, curtains.
All Doors and Windows are protected with mosquitero. But we mostly are outside, so it is better
To be protected directly.

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
i favor DEET.... I bring it in.

BackWoods OFF, etc......

any of the camping stores have extra duty strong.
Or go to Quebec, Northern Ontario..... black flies abound.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
When visiting the in-laws who live in the campo, we spend most all the time outdoors. I find the coils work well. We place a few around the patio area and it seems to keep the buggers away. I also use repellent faithfully as it seems the mosquitos love me.

Buck69

Jul 29, 2004
supona Chlorfenvinphos is the common name of an organophosphorus compound that was widely used as an insecticide and an acaricide.it has been banned in several countries, including the United States and the European Union. Its use in the United States was cancelled in 1991.From Wikipedia,

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
After Mr AE's bout with dengue last year, we're trying to be proactive this year. 

Anyone recommend a product to spray outdoors around property?  We have a sprayer and also a fogger. We do have dogs on property so have to bear that in mind. 

If you have pets you are taking a huge risk spraying the property. The stuff they use in the DR is banned in the US because it is cancer causing and will also create problems if you have hay fever or asthma. Put screens in your windows and use mosquito repelent on your skin. If you spray it leaves a residue which your dogs will roll in and bring in the house.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
i favor DEET.... I bring it in.

BackWoods OFF, etc......

any of the camping stores have extra duty strong.
Or go to Quebec, Northern Ontario..... black flies abound.

WW exactly. have been using off repellent ... in the DR, works good. Have used deep woods off in northern minnesota in summer, some of that is almost 100% deet , melted my plastic canoe paddles............Doc............

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
miesposo fumigates the garden occasionally, i will look for the bottle to check what he uses. it's mixed with water and sprayed from a small pump. no ill effects on dogs who spend all the time in the garden nor cats who go in and out.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
We shipped down something called a Mosquito Magnet, might be what that is?????  Has liquid and CO2 cartridges, runs on propane. Haven't tried it yet. 

www.mosquitomagnet.com. 

We used them, Mosquito Magnet, in the U.S. and worked great for our 7 different types of mosquitos. Brought them down to the D.R. and had to adjust the propane mix/orifice due to a difference in the quality of propane. Great for a couple of years but the salt air did them in. Just too expensive to buy and ship in more. We now are using a couple of Dynatrap XL 1 Acre and they are OK but not nearly as good as the magnet did. We still get mosquitos when the Magnet pretty much got rid of the all. The smaller Dynatraps don't do a thing.

Please let us know how your new Mosquito Magnet works since the design has changed from my old ones from years ago. I'd go ahead and spend the money to get a couple if you are happy with it.

Ya... mosquito transmitted diseases are NO FUN! Good luck.

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Using repellant (Deep Woods Off) is an easy decision for me. Mosquitos are the nastiest creatures in the world. I'm with William on that.