Bored? Wanna try something interesting?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I've been using Microsoft Visio for years along with 3D Visioner to do 3D drawings of different constructions.

Unfortunately, Visio ain't cheap, and 3D Visioner isn't either. Plus, every time you upgrade to a newer version, they force you to buy the software again. Jerks.

I've recently discovered a free app on line called Sweethome 3D that does a much better job of constructing 3D plans and even offers a Virtual walk thru of your design as you're building it.

I sat down with Sweethome this weekend to learn how to use it, and I was able to generate a plan for my apartment in just a few hours!

apartment_zps4iapwltn.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Try downloading this baby and learn something new. It's super easy to learn, has tons of features, and best of all, it's FREE!!!!

http://www.sweethome3d.com/

(One day, when I'm smarter, I'll learn how to post pictures here. The old way sure doesn't work any more)

Last edited:

Snowmane72

Jan 4, 2017
I did something similar for finishing my basement, but I didn't like having to use online tool. Instead I used:

http://www.nchsoftware.com/design/

It wasn't great software, and there was definitely a learning curve. But it was free and it ran locally on my PC. Plus the preview was good enough for my wife (who has a real hard time picturing things in 3D without some sort of visual aid) to sign off on the design and for the contractor to use as a blue print, so he didn't have to charge us to consult an architect to make drawings.

There are a lot of free options out there actually. If someone were serious about this sort of thing, I'd suggest taking a few hours to check out the various features they offer to find the right fit for their needs.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I've been using Microsoft Visio for years along with 3D Visioner to do 3D drawings of different constructions.

Unfortunately, Visio ain't cheap, and 3D Visioner isn't either. Plus, every time you upgrade to a newer version, they force you to buy the software again. Jerks.

I've recently discovered a free app on line called Sweethome 3D that does a much better job of constructing 3D plans and even offers a Virtual walk thru of your design as you're building it.

I sat down with Sweethome this weekend to learn how to use it, and I was able to generate a plan for my apartment in just a few hours!

[/URL][/IMG]

Try downloading this baby and learn something new. It's super easy to learn, has tons of features, and best of all, it's FREE!!!!

(One day, when I'm smarter, I'll learn how to post pictures here. The old way sure doesn't work any more)

Look up the Microsoft Partners Program. $450/year and you get 10 licenses for *everything* currently shipping for internal use only. It's pretty easy to qualify as an independent consulting firm.

KyleMackey

Bronze
Apr 20, 2015

[/URL][/IMG]

If you find something similar for office space let me know.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
If you find something similar for office space let me know.

I'm still learning how to use, but I know you can import more items from other programs like Sketchup and trimble3d warehouse.

It's short on Industrial and office spaces, but I'm sure I'll find them soon.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
I've been using House Design, a free app also but it's a little tricky.  Are you using your app on a tablet or laptop?

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Sorry, you got me with the title of the thread. I was expecting something else. As I recuperate from surgery I found it pretty enticing. LOL. I have 2 more weeks to go, and I need more to do than p*ss off the Mods here.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I've been using House Design, a free app also but it's a little tricky.  Are you using your app on a tablet or laptop?

Laptop, my boy. With a large LCD stand alone monitor. Gotta have that to get down to the nitty gritty.