Gas Lines

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
So, here I am today doing some laundry and chatting away on WhatsApp with a friend from the States. Hanging up clothes on the line, cold Presidente or 2 or 6 within reach, jokes and photos flowing back and forth, and he asked me why I was hanging up my clothes, instead of using the dryer? Besides the fact that it was 83 and sunny here today, the number one reason is because I don't have a dryer, and even if it was possible I don't know that I would utilize one. Clothes dry really quick here, don't shrink, and just all around smell and feel better naturally. But, it got me to thinking. No, I don't have a dryer as well, because there are no gas lines where I currently live, nor have there been ANY in all of my travels across this country...10 years! I have neither seen, nor heard of them. Looking at the state of basic things we tend to take for granted such as roads/running water/electricity it's fairly obvious why it would not be a recommended idea....at least, not now, and not very soon either.....hence, my question:
Are there gas lines anywhere in this country?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I kinda like the fresh smell of sun dried clothes. What is not so great is that they are stiff. In the real world the drier leaves them soft and fluffy. Am I doing something wrong? I do not think there is any natural gas in the DR. A good thing since Dominicans would forget to turn off the gas and we would have houses exploding all over the place

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I kinda like the fresh smell of sun dried clothes. What is not so great is that they are stiff. In the real world the drier leaves them soft and fluffy. Am I doing something wrong? I do not think there is any natural gas in the DR. A good thing since Dominicans would forget to turn off the gas and we would have houses exploding all over the place
Correct you are on all points.
You can ease the stiff clothes feeling by using liquid fabric softener (such as Suavitel). It can be found in every colmado or supermarket in this country. Trust me, Dominicans live by it. Following a wash cycle, place those clothes in a separate bucket of water, which contains a bit of the softener. Let sit for a few minutes (sort of like a homemade rinse cycle), shake, and place in the spin cycle. Clothes come out feeling the same as if you used dryer sheets. My problem is my significant other insists on using way too much, and with the heat and humidity here the clothes tend to really hang on you. Very uncomfortable, at least for me. Hence, I do my own laundry now.
As far as gas leaks, or lack of responsibility regarding gas products, that was my meaning behind them not being a such a great idea any time soon.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Just curious why only gas is considered for dryers? I have never used a gas dryer, only electric.

Good question. I never thought of that. The only dryers I've ever used needed a gas connection. Hmmmm, you've got me thinking now. I must investigate.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I could only imagine what the monthly electric bill would be.
https://www.cnet.com/topics/dryers/buying-guide/
and
From Sears.com:
Less Expensive Upkeep - Gas dryers are usually a bit less expensive to operate than electric dryers, although this depends on the cost of gas and electricity in your area. Faster - Gas dryers heat up and dry your clothes faster than electric dryers do, making them a little more energy efficient and gentle on fabrics.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Besides adding Suavitel to the wash, some laundry detergents can purchased with Suavitel (Fabric Softeners) in them.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I could only imagine what the monthly electric bill would be.
https://www.cnet.com/topics/dryers/buying-guide/
and
From Sears.com:
Less Expensive Upkeep - Gas dryers are usually a bit less expensive to operate than electric dryers, although this depends on the cost of gas and electricity in your area. Faster - Gas dryers heat up and dry your clothes faster than electric dryers do, making them a little more energy efficient and gentle on fabrics.

Gas dryer is next on my list.

All the comments from Sears are right.... efficiency, speed.
All come with a propane conversion kit (like Stoves)

Sears Scratch 'n Dent.... coming up.
Mudanza to ship.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we have a gas dryer. blessing in the rainy season and now with the cold as well. towels dried in the sun are stiff and rough, towel dried in the dryer are soft and fluffy. i use fabric softener for laundry, for the dryer i have special tiny softener sheets.

new electric dryers cannot be that bad, my SIL has it and she has spawn so laundry day is practically every day and unless it's hot and sunny the dryer is in constant use. her power bill is not cringe worthy.

no gas lines that i know of here. i have seen huge gas tanks in the garden for common use of a building and for generators, tho. i think the end users would be an issue, frankly speaking. i think the issue would be general maintenance and, of course, stuff like earthquakes. any underground utility lines here (water, power, internet) get damaged every time a stretch of the road is repaired or opened to bury another line. they also get damaged from the lack of maintenance. maybe it's for the better that there are no gas pipes zigzagging underground in all directions...

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Gas dryer is next on my list.

All the comments from Sears are right.... efficiency, speed.
All come with a propane conversion kit (like Stoves)

Sears Scratch 'n Dent.... coming up.
Mudanza to ship.

Keep us posted on the cost if you do that. I have a gas dryer I'm not currently using in the States, I may ship it down.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
fridges are $200-300 to ship....
dryer should be less.

easy to convert they say - or convert before shipping.

Call a mudanza for a price... from wherever you are.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Gas (propane) dryers are available here. I have one, as do many condos in Bavaro. I have seen them on sale at Llama and Corripio as well. Expensive, but probably cheaper than shipping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Importing isn't that costly.... after RD's taxes

Plus, the quality is more reliable, IMO.

I prefer to import most of my major goods..... just me maybe.
anything I have purchased here (stove. wine cooler) have had problems frequently

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I remember Cobraboy was giving away a gas dryer, check the Swap thread in Living Forum, maybe he still has it. 

We bought a new GE washer here, and they had the matching dryer. 

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There are no natural gas lines in the DR because there is no local source of natural gas here to supply them. Also not a great idea in a country prone to earthquakes and poor maintenance.

Only recently has natural gas been imported to be used as an automotive fuel to compete with propane, gasoline and diesel fuel. I have never considered getting a dryer run by propane since I have such little use for a dryer and have an electric one for those rare occasions when one is needed.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Gas dryers have to be converted from natural gas to propane. Its quite easy and the conversion kit should be under 50us. You can also get an electric one but you have to have 220 power close by. Again its easy to do if you know what you are doing. We bought a Whirlpool stacker 3 years ago and I will never hang laundry again. 
I do the laundry as my wife refuses to do it as she says my OCD comes out when she does it. That and I do it better anyways. Lol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
oh man, i am getting OCD just thinking about laundry. i always think no one can do it as well as i do, ha ha ha.

our dryer works with propane, btw. we have a neat setup of two tanks, connected with pipes and valves. when one tank is over i close it, turn the valve to open the supply from the other one and open the tank. there is also a separate valve i open when the dryer is in use and close afterwards.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Maybe it is me but I am not a fan of hanging clothes outside to dry. Mind you this is just me, but with the breeze and dust I just do not want my clothes to dry this way. We have a electric dryer which is fine but I would much prefer gas. I just brought back these Downy "pellets/beads" I guess you would call them. You put them in the wash cycle. I will have to look and see if they have them here.