DR living compared to Central America

lisainmich

Jan 22, 2017
Hi all,
I got off on the wrong foot by posting my sankie experience first, but I do have some unrelated questions about the DR, since I am here.
For some time I've been contemplating in 5 years or so moving to somewhere in Latin America for an early retirement. The Arenal region of Costa Rica, or maybe Nicaragua which I've visited many times are candidates. My experience in the DR wasn't all that impressive as far as living conditions, but I would hate to judge based on my short experience in a tourist area.
I'd be single and expect to remain that way. Probably someplace with some expats, since in my travels I have gotten a bit lonely never speaking my native English. But I always enjoy meeting locals too and I don't think I'd like living in a gated community made up to seem like a mini, cheaper USA.
So of those of you who live in the DR, what made you pick it and why do you stay? What is the good and the bad?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Hi all,
I got off on the wrong foot by posting my sankie experience first, but I do have some unrelated questions about the DR, since I am here.
For some time I've been contemplating in 5 years or so moving to somewhere in Latin America for an early retirement. The Arenal region of Costa Rica, or maybe Nicaragua which I've visited many times are candidates. My experience in the DR wasn't all that impressive as far as living conditions, but I would hate to judge based on my short experience in a tourist area.
I'd be single and expect to remain that way. Probably someplace with some expats, since in my travels I have gotten a bit lonely never speaking my native English. But I always enjoy meeting locals too and I don't think I'd like living in a gated community made up to seem like a mini, cheaper USA.
So of those of you who live in the DR, what made you pick it and why do you stay? What is the good and the bad?

one man's garbage is another man's treasure. i don't think you can seriously believe that you can base your predictions of success and happiness on someone else's experience.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
If you want an ex-pat area and you were not that taken with Cabarete I might suggest Las Terrenas, on the Samana peninsula or Juan Dolio (more English in J.D.).
Since you have 5 years or so you should be able (given the resources) to explore your options before making that decision.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
If you want an ex-pat area and you were not that taken with Cabarete I might suggest Las Terrenas, on the Samana peninsula or Juan Dolio (more English in J.D.).
Since you have 5 years or so you should be able (given the resources) to explore your options before making that decision.

Also, consider Punta Cana/Bavaro. Huge English-speaking community, very scenic. Not a whole lot going on culturally, but you're two hours away from Santo Domingo, and there's also two international airports nearby with plenty of flights to NA and EU.

Good luck.

lisainmich

Jan 22, 2017
one man's garbage is another man's treasure. i don't think you can seriously believe that you can base your predictions of success and happiness on someone else's experience.

Sure, that's why I asked for good and bad.  Electric outages I can live with, other issues maybe not so much.  I was hoping for specifics and not just yes or nay.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sure, that's why I asked for good and bad.  Electric outages I can live with, other issues maybe not so much.  I was hoping for specifics and not just yes or nay.

some guys think the DR is the butthole of the earth because they cannot get grade A prime rib within walking distance of their house. some of us don't care. your outlook will depend on which category best describes you.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Do your research and compare the cost of living in various Latin American countries. DR, Belize, Panama, Costa Rica, even Mexico. Places like St. Martin, Turks and Caicos are small and expensive. If you intend to get citizenship or some type of residency, it can be complicated in the DR and easier in other countries. Rent first, live in an area then decide. Don't buy until your absolutely certain. I've spent eight winters here and I still have my reservations about moving here full time due to the increased cost of living and the crime rate. 

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I moved to the DR because my wife is Dominican and she has a viable business here. I actually kind of enjoy the hustle and bustle and the friendliness of my community, while hating the noise and rudeness at the same time. I have good friend in Grecia, Costa Rica and could easily live there or Panama, but really the DR has better weather than Panama and more life than Costa Rica. I would check out Colombia, perhaps Santa Marta while you are deciding. If I was going to move to a country based on safety, medical care...etc I would choose Costa Rica.

lisainmich

Jan 22, 2017
Thanks for the input. I hadn't really considered Colombia but should check it out. I don't need luxuries, I'm pretty flexible; my top factors are probably going to be climate, safety, cost of living and some level of social/recreational opportunities. I love Costa Rica but the people are a little more reserved. Nicaraguans I find to be fun and informal. I hate to cross off the DR without experiencing anything but the North Coast.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Go with Nicaragua. The people are much more genuine, honest, and good natured. The Spanish is infinitely easier to understand. Money goes farther, and it's much,much safer. Corruption is far less. Civil police force. There is optimism in the air. And, there are expats, but you'll need to seek them out.

And, don't do the gated community thing. Be part of the community

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Thanks for the input. I hadn't really considered Colombia but should check it out. I don't need luxuries, I'm pretty flexible; my top factors are probably going to be climate, safety, cost of living and some level of social/recreational opportunities. I love Costa Rica but the people are a little more reserved. Nicaraguans I find to be fun and informal. I hate to cross off the DR without experiencing anything but the North Coast.

There is much more to this country besides the Northcoast, regardless of what some here may post. Not to insult people "up there" as is sometimes taken, but I'm not a fan. There are many other areas to enjoy. The problem comes when you're trying to fill you're entire list of wants....that my love is impossible. Not only here, but anywhere in this world, and anywhere in this life of ours. Try to base your search based on your hobbies, and what you enjoy. Start searching places based on that. Do for you. I'm not trying to sell you real estate or steer you in a direction. It's your life, your decision....just be honest....with yourself.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
Two pieces of unselfish advice....the Caribbean Sea is much more comfortable than the Atlantic Ocean....and check out Bayahibe without letting everybody here know. Cheers/Salud.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi all,

The weather in the DR is more moderate than in Central America. You acutally get some cool nights in the Winter months. If you are coming from North America it's a much easier plane ride to the DR. There is a wide choice of properties to rent or buy. If you are going to retire in the DR you will need to apply for residency. This is not cheap. It could cost you $1500-2000US dollars to complete the process. Even though the value of the rdpeso is good relative to the $ most prices are Amercianized. Things that are made or grown in the DR are a good value but the cost of electricity and gasoline are high. I would recommend that you go to Las Terrenas on the Samana Peninsula for your next vacation. This community has many ex-pats. There is a large European population including about 5000 French, 1200 Italians, 600 Germans and others. There are also many Americans, Canadians and Brits along with Haitians and Domincans. You need feet on the ground to see what the area is like. Good luck and good travels

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Lisa,
Think outside the DR/Latin American box and investigate living in the Azores. Beautiful moderate climate, fantastic beaches, no Dengue, Zika, yellow fever, and other exotic death related diseases. The economy has bottomed there and there is plenty of cheap real estate to rent or buy. Excellent health facilities and a really cheap flight away from places like Greece, Italy, and Spain. The US dollar is strong against the Euro right now. 

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Hi all,

Good question, I have been to all the countries in central America......If you are comparing costa rica with nicaragua, they are very different....costa rica has a very high standard of living, nicaragua is at ,or near the bottom...... The two best , and safest, best standard of living, first panama, then costa rico, but the most expensive........ the highest murder rate in the world is in honduras next to nicaragua. You have to remember the people that live in central america, are very different from the people in the DR. Soooo I guess its all in what you want, tell me that and I can advise you.....I prefer a carribean Island, the bigger the better........Doc..........

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com

You are not going to find a better climate than Medellin or Pereira :)

https://www.facebook.com/pereiracityguide/
http://medellinliving.com/

It's great to have options, DR, Colombia, Costa Rica etc etc etc.