Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Have Cedula Want to Get a Dominican Drivers License

Can anyone tell me the current process for a dominican drivers license ? I have a cedula.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

From a few years back. 

Go to  " drivers license " place . Forgot the acronym and actual name. Soe thing like DGTT ( dirrecion general de transporte terestre ??? ).
    If in POP area, its next too the stadium/palacio de justicia.

They will give you a slip of paper with the requirements.
    Off the top of my head.
    Impuesta to pay at ban reserva.
    Certificacion de buena conducta ( which  will also nees a ban reserva payement, but can also be done on internet now ).
    Cedula/residencia.

Once all docs are submitted, u take the theory test in spanish ( no fret, easy peasy ).
    Test passed, u are issued with a " learners license"
    Then, at least 45 days ( ?? ) and at most a year later, you do the actual driving test. Again easy peasy.
    Voilà you issued with a 5 year dominican DL !!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    From a few years back. 

Go to  " drivers license " place . Forgot the acronym and actual name. Soe thing like DGTT ( dirrecion general de transporte terestre ??? ).
    If in POP area, its next too the stadium/palacio de justicia.

They will give you a slip of paper with the requirements.
    Off the top of my head.
    Impuesta to pay at ban reserva.
    Certificacion de buena conducta ( which  will also nees a ban reserva payement, but can also be done on internet now ).
    Cedula/residencia.

Once all docs are submitted, u take the theory test in spanish ( no fret, easy peasy ).
    Test passed, u are issued with a " learners license"
    Then, at least 45 days ( ?? ) and at most a year later, you do the actual driving test. Again easy peasy.
    Voilà you issued with a 5 year dominican DL !!!!
    I think you first have to get a "learners permit" or something. AND a blood sugar test.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

everything is here, including data of all transport offices:
    http://www.mopc.gob.do/servicios/dir...a-de-conducir/

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You get the learners permit after passing the theory test. Your supposed to learn during the min. 45 day waiting period before the practical test. :-) They will test your blood type if you don't know it.

At the practical test you have to choose a standard transmission or an automatic. If you take the test in an automatic, your license will be restricted to automatics. 

6. Likes cobraboy, SARAH KATZ liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The temporary is 45 days or so....
    you may NOT get a permanent before that expiry.

Not a hard test... minimal Spanish req'd

Good idea to have a license

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    The temporary is 45 days or so....
    you may NOT get a permanent before that expiry.

Not a hard test... minimal Spanish req'd

Good idea to have a license
    Coincidentally, just a couple of days ago I suggested to Mr AE that he get his DR driver's license. His expired in 1976 and I doubt they'll renew it. He had no clue how to go about it, so this thread is very timely. 

Administrator
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

First thing go to a Driving School. Pay a fee that is well worth it and let them take you through it. Does not matter if you drive well, just use them for the details. They could secure a license for a blind man.

10. Likes bigbird liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot easier if you are Canadian. Take your Canadian drivers licence to the Canadian Embassy. They verify it is valid( for a fee) then take tht paperwork and get it translated and legalized, pay the fees, go to the licencing ministry. They verify your documents, take your blood and your photo and you walk out with a drivers licence good for 5 years. Both my wife and I did this. No learners, no driving school, no test...nada.
    You Americans unfortunately have to go through the whole process like you were a child that has never driven a car.

12. Likes KateP liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    A lot easier if you are Canadian. Take your Canadian drivers licence to the Canadian Embassy. They verify it is valid( for a fee) then take tht paperwork and get it translated and legalized, pay the fees, go to the licencing ministry. They verify your documents, take your blood and your photo and you walk out with a drivers licence good for 5 years. Both my wife and I did this. No learners, no driving school, no test...nada.
    You Americans unfortunately have to go through the whole process like you were a child that has never driven a car.
    It's the same if you are a British passport holder.

The American Embassy will not authenticate American state licenses, hence they are treated like kids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast