Have Cedula Want to Get a Dominican Drivers License

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
From a few years back. 

Go to  " drivers license " place . Forgot the acronym and actual name. Soe thing like DGTT ( dirrecion general de transporte terestre ??? ).
If in POP area, its next too the stadium/palacio de justicia.

They will give you a slip of paper with the requirements.
Off the top of my head.
Impuesta to pay at ban reserva.
Certificacion de buena conducta ( which  will also nees a ban reserva payement, but can also be done on internet now ).
Cedula/residencia.

Once all docs are submitted, u take the theory test in spanish ( no fret, easy peasy ).
Test passed, u are issued with a " learners license"
Then, at least 45 days ( ?? ) and at most a year later, you do the actual driving test. Again easy peasy.
Voilà you issued with a 5 year dominican DL !!!!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
From a few years back. 

Go to  " drivers license " place . Forgot the acronym and actual name. Soe thing like DGTT ( dirrecion general de transporte terestre ??? ).
If in POP area, its next too the stadium/palacio de justicia.

They will give you a slip of paper with the requirements.
Off the top of my head.
Impuesta to pay at ban reserva.
Certificacion de buena conducta ( which  will also nees a ban reserva payement, but can also be done on internet now ).
Cedula/residencia.

Once all docs are submitted, u take the theory test in spanish ( no fret, easy peasy ).
Test passed, u are issued with a " learners license"
Then, at least 45 days ( ?? ) and at most a year later, you do the actual driving test. Again easy peasy.
Voilà you issued with a 5 year dominican DL !!!!
I think you first have to get a "learners permit" or something. AND a blood sugar test.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You get the learners permit after passing the theory test. Your supposed to learn during the min. 45 day waiting period before the practical test. :) They will test your blood type if you don't know it.

At the practical test you have to choose a standard transmission or an automatic. If you take the test in an automatic, your license will be restricted to automatics. 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The temporary is 45 days or so....
you may NOT get a permanent before that expiry.

Not a hard test... minimal Spanish req'd

Good idea to have a license

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The temporary is 45 days or so....
you may NOT get a permanent before that expiry.

Not a hard test... minimal Spanish req'd

Good idea to have a license

Coincidentally, just a couple of days ago I suggested to Mr AE that he get his DR driver's license. His expired in 1976 and I doubt they'll renew it. He had no clue how to go about it, so this thread is very timely. 

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
First thing go to a Driving School. Pay a fee that is well worth it and let them take you through it. Does not matter if you drive well, just use them for the details. They could secure a license for a blind man.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A lot easier if you are Canadian. Take your Canadian drivers licence to the Canadian Embassy. They verify it is valid( for a fee) then take tht paperwork and get it translated and legalized, pay the fees, go to the licencing ministry. They verify your documents, take your blood and your photo and you walk out with a drivers licence good for 5 years. Both my wife and I did this. No learners, no driving school, no test...nada.
You Americans unfortunately have to go through the whole process like you were a child that has never driven a car.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
A lot easier if you are Canadian. Take your Canadian drivers licence to the Canadian Embassy. They verify it is valid( for a fee) then take tht paperwork and get it translated and legalized, pay the fees, go to the licencing ministry. They verify your documents, take your blood and your photo and you walk out with a drivers licence good for 5 years. Both my wife and I did this. No learners, no driving school, no test...nada.
You Americans unfortunately have to go through the whole process like you were a child that has never driven a car.

It's the same if you are a British passport holder.

The American Embassy will not authenticate American state licenses, hence they are treated like kids :)

Alan Read

Jun 11, 2007
It's the same if you are a British passport holder.

The American Embassy will not authenticate American state licenses, hence they are treated like kids :)

Can this be done, for British passport holders,  in Puerto Plata or does it require trip to Consulate in Santo Domingo ?

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Getting a driver's license (if you have a cedula) is one of the easiest processes I've experienced here. Basically, you take your cedula to Banco Reservas and pay the fee. You take that receipt to the office near the stadium in Puerto Plata. Someone is usually at the front of the building to guide you to the right line, but if not, it is the second one from the door. They will tell you what to do after that. Even my pitiful Spanish was enough to understand with the accompanying pointing. You get an eye test and a blood test and wait and and video test. They will provide a "helper," which basically means a translator who will help you through the test. It's really easy. You are shown a short video and then you choose between correct and incorrect based on a series of questions. I passed and didn't even have a clue, really.... (Not a good thing, really, but I was happy to pass it anyway." They do some fingerprints and verify your info and then they give you the temporary 'learners permit.' You wait 45 days and then take it back to Banco Reservas and pay another fee. Take that receipt and your temporary to the same office. Stand in the same line and they will tell you what to do. The license is good for four years and expires on your birthday. Renewal is the same process except no video test. If you're worried, call a driving school or talk to one of the guys hanging around outside the testing office near the stadium. Good luck but you won't need it!

Floridaborn

Sep 25, 2010
Getting a driver's license (if you have a cedula) is one of the easiest processes I've experienced here. Basically, you take your cedula to Banco Reservas and pay the fee. You take that receipt to the office near the stadium in Puerto Plata. Someone is usually at the front of the building to guide you to the right line, but if not, it is the second one from the door. They will tell you what to do after that. Even my pitiful Spanish was enough to understand with the accompanying pointing. You get an eye test and a blood test and wait and and video test. They will provide a "helper," which basically means a translator who will help you through the test. It's really easy. You are shown a short video and then you choose between correct and incorrect based on a series of questions. I passed and didn't even have a clue, really.... (Not a good thing, really, but I was happy to pass it anyway." They do some fingerprints and verify your info and then they give you the temporary 'learners permit.' You wait 45 days and then take it back to Banco Reservas and pay another fee. Take that receipt and your temporary to the same office. Stand in the same line and they will tell you what to do. The license is good for four years and expires on your birthday. Renewal is the same process except no video test. If you're worried, call a driving school or talk to one of the guys hanging around outside the testing office near the stadium. Good luck but you won't need it!

The guy at the driving school at the stadium told me we needed a Certificate of Buen Conducto also ... is this correct ?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We were told in Santiago recently that translators were only in Santo Domingo, not in Puerto Plata.

When did you get yours?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Coincidentally, just a couple of days ago I suggested to Mr AE that he get his DR driver's license. His expired in 1976 and I doubt they'll renew it. He had no clue how to go about it, so this thread is very timely. 

does he still have it? i guess he could try to renew, it would not hurt and it's much less work.
SD office address:
SEDE CENTRAL: (Horario 8:00am a 4:30pm de Lunes a Viernes) Ave. Tiradente No. 07 Ens. La Fe, Telf. 809-566-6103 Dirección General de Tránsito Terrestre, Santo Domingo, Rep. Dom. Horario 8:00am a 4:30pm de Lunes a Viernes
he'd have to start there anyways so he may just as well ask about renovation.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
does he still have it? i guess he could try to renew, it would not hurt and it's much less work.
SD office address:
SEDE CENTRAL: (Horario 8:00am a 4:30pm de Lunes a Viernes) Ave. Tiradente No. 07 Ens. La Fe, Telf. 809-566-6103 Dirección General de Tránsito Terrestre, Santo Domingo, Rep. Dom. Horario 8:00am a 4:30pm de Lunes a Viernes
he'd have to start there anyways so he may just as well ask about renovation.

Yep, he still has it. It's paper, folded, with his photo glued to the paper.   Thanks for the address, I bet there will be people falling on the floor laughing when he shows it to them. 

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think so too. he should go there and ask if only for entertainment purpose. they should also advise him how to renew/redo it.