New rules for Conchos and Guaguas

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
One of the aspects about public transport is their absolute disregard for passengers comfort and safety.

A new transport law is up to be has been to be implemented that regulates how many passengers they can carry, and fines and/or driving privileges suspended depending on severity in case of an accident.

These types of restrictions did not exist before, so AMET couldn't do much about the little sardine cans running around the city.

I do have my doubts, but at least it's a step in the right direction.

[video=youtube;3IfZ58fxfLY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IfZ58fxfLY[/video]

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
The price of gass is going up and these guys have to drive around all day thy have to pay to use the car and the gas. Thy must put this mean people in when thy have the chance.  You are not seeing it from there point.just from a rich gringo point but this is tipical for DR1.......

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
It will be a disaster for the drivers and cobradores. Prices of the pasajes will go up because they have to pay the owner of the guagua (can be up to 1500 pesos a day) and the gas, if not many will leave the business, nobody works for "el amor al arte".

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
The price of gass is going up and these guys have to drive around all day thy have to pay to use the car and the gas. Thy must put this mean people in when thy have the chance.  You are not seeing it from there point.just from a rich gringo point but this is tipical for DR1.......

They have the same issues of price and having to pay car rental in Colombia, but the taxi and colectivo quality is much higher. My journeys here (Colombia) are often longer and cheaper than when I'm in Santo Domingo, so how does that happen?

On another note...

Loose your chip about DR1, it's getting boring.
It has served you well and given back more than you have ever given.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Rich gringo ????

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Where there is money to be made a workable system will result despite change and safety improvements. Vehicles in better condition, more of them because fewer can be crammed inside etc. Don't worry about too much about any individual driver, the requirement to move people about will still exist and the system will adapt to ensure that everyone with 50 pesos in their pocket has the opportunity to give it to a driver. 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You can't charge what your customer has no ability to pay. You completely missed the point - that being, the system will adjust so that customers can be transported, drivers can make some money, vehicle owners can make more money, and the sindicos make even more just like it is today. 

Surely it is not your position that publico drivers should be able to make a wage comparable to that of a professional such as an architect? Within that system, drivers need to become owners and advance up the food chain. Even at home, the lowly taxi driver has to work long irregular hours to make a decent living wage. Scales of economy and the practical realization that a taxi driver that drives a rented taxi has to make X amount before money starts going in their pocket. 

Improved safety and a limit on the max occupancy of any one car at any one time will not cause the entire system to fold up and disappear.  

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
4+2 (in front) passengers per carro público is not different from what mostly happens now. 

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Damn! There goes the charm of the gua guas for me. Hope it doesn't become a cold sterile transportation system where no one looks at each other or speaks to each other. If I want that, I can ride the buses when I'm home in Canada. 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Damn! There goes the charm of the gua guas for me. Hope it doesn't become a cold sterile transportation system where no one looks at each other or speaks to each other. If I want that, I can ride the buses when I'm home in Canada. 

yes, but when your leg falls asleep because you are squished up between 3 fat women in the back seat, the frigidity of Canada suddenly seems enticing.

May 29, 2006
You try living on a 50 Peso per customer business model GringoCDN.

Consider that a medium level tradesman makes 500 a day and motodrivers do OK. The ones I know seem to have plenty of spending money. Most have regulars. We even have some female drivers who just do a couple school runs and pick up a couple extra hundred pesos a day. That's some nice pocket money for an hour's work. For many families, that pays for a day's food.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
4+2 (in front) passengers per carro público is not different from what mostly happens now. 

This is how it is now most of the time. My point was that a lot of people on DR1 have cars and are not seeing it from the drivers point. 
Sorry for defending the working man .

May 29, 2006
yes, but when your leg falls asleep because you are squished up between 3 fat women in the back seat, the frigidity of Canada suddenly seems enticing.

That's why I used to look for five cute chicas hailing down a publico. But gawd, they yammer.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
that is exactly what happens now. the carrito will not leave the terminus unless six passengers are in place.
exactly, meaning nothing really changes, except for the públicos with wide cars that enter 5 or even 6 in the back. 

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
This is how it is now most of the time. My point was that a lot of people on DR1 have cars and are not seeing it from the drivers point. 
Sorry for defending the working man .

No, the thing is the drivers already complain, but hardly any of them enters more than 4 in the back, so what changes for them? They are only already preparing to raise the cost based on a rule that doesn't really affect them. The one who pays is indeed the working man. The one earning minimum and paying public transport. Not 'el concho' making at least twice minimum creating chaos in the streets for all of us.